You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

I knew he was mid twenties mate. I bolded a part of the bores, tiresome post that disproves what he's boring people with. Young? Yes. All the lads we sign teenagers and unexpired? No.

He's boring, dull and repetitive

Oh okay, I didn't see what you bolded, I thought you were just asking.

Sakho is one of the best CB's in Europe. He may have been clumsy at times last year but the language barrier and moving totally out of his comfort zone is the reason for this, as Well as the stuttering appearances due to injury. Once he's fit and firing, he'll be brilliant. He didn't put a foot wrong for France over the past few weeks.

Replacing or recovering Johnson to what he once was is the key to the defence. I'm confident Enrique can be our first choice LB irrespective of whether we bring in competition. So one of Agger, Skrtel or Lovren playing alongside Sakho and becomming a settled partnership is vital.

The defence was bad because it had so much continuous change. Play 4 consistently and we'll see a huge change in the way they play. It's no coincidence Palace only conceded a few less because they had the same players doing it week in week out. Ditto Chelsea as it rarely changed. The mancs were all over the place because like us, they were constantly chopping and changing. It doesn't help anyone when the team changes every week. The defensive issues for me are hugely exaggerated, yes we were shite at times but the reasons why are glossed over. Keep them fit and watch that change. Obviously keeping them fit is something that we have to rely on good fortune to help us with.

Sakho is one of the best CB's in Europe. He may have been clumsy at times last year but the language barrier and moving totally out of his comfort zone is the reason for this, as Well as the stuttering appearances due to injury. Once he's fit and firing, he'll be brilliant. He didn't put a foot wrong for France over the past few weeks.

Replacing or recovering Johnson to what he once was is the key to the defence. I'm confident Enrique can be our first choice LB irrespective of whether we bring in competition. So one of Agger, Skrtel or Lovren playing alongside Sakho and becomming a settled partnership is vital.

The defence was bad because it had so much continuous change. Play 4 consistently and we'll see a huge change in the way they play. It's no coincidence Palace only conceded a few less because they had the same players doing it week in week out. Ditto Chelsea as it rarely changed. The mancs were all over the place because like us, they were constantly chopping and changing. It doesn't help anyone when the team changes every week. The defensive issues for me are hugely exaggerated, yes we were shite at times but the reasons why are glossed over. Keep them fit and watch that change. Obviously keeping them fit is something that we have to rely on good fortune to help us with.

johnson is in the final year of his contract? dont think he ll get a new one so he could be off by end of august.

On my phone and it's shown up. Apologies

If the formatting is different though. The point still stands. Nightcat is a repetitive bore.

Oh no I can see it now mate, I just didn't notice it first time round.

Its crazy to think Luis was 24 when we signed him now that you think of it. He really has developed a little late given his incredible talent. He was awesome at Ajax for a very long time.

Oh no I can see it now mate, I just didn't notice it first time round.

Its crazy to think Luis was 24 when we signed him now that you think of it. He really has developed a little late given his incredible talent. He was awesome at Ajax for a very long time.

I agree, he was amazing when we signed him but instead of having a plateau he has just gotten better and better up until

his late twenties I've never seen such a steady and consistent improvement in a player.

johnson is in the final year of his contract? dont think he ll get a new one so he could be off by end of august.

Johnson playing for a new contract might be the only thing that could improve his shite play. I'd still let him walk on a free if he turns up aces for us next season mind. 

Johnson playing for a new contract might be the only thing that could improve his shite play. I'd still let him walk on a free if he turns up aces for us next season mind.

He's not capable of turning up any aces next season, he's fucked. Keeping him here for the remainder of his contract will cost us about 5m in fucking wages. Fuck that.

Ibe, Texeira, Wisdom and Borini will stay - the rest:

article-1335003959858-12b135d6000005dc-8

We'll definitely be keeping Ilori - although he should go out on loan again.

I'd sell Borini personally if we get a decent offer.

We might decide to give Jack Robbo another season out to see if he develops.

He's not capable of turning up any aces next season, he's fucked. Keeping him here for the remainder of his contract will cost us about 5m in fucking wages. Fuck that.

I agree with that . 

Flanno and Enrique are not going to be enough with or without a malfunctioning Johnson and we need at another high quality left back . Rodgers knows that otherwise why the pursuit of Moreno and the interest in Cole. Without meaning to be over dramatic if we don't sort out the full back options we can forget winning anything next season. Flanno isn't a top quality LB, Johnson is even more of a liability on the left and Enrique will pick up injuries 

I agree with that . 

Flanno and Enrique are not going to be enough with or without a malfunctioning Johnson and we need at another high quality left back . Rodgers knows that otherwise why the pursuit of Moreno and the interest in Cole. Without meaning to be over dramatic if we don't sort out the full back options we can forget winning anything next season. Flanno isn't a top quality LB, Johnson is even more of a liability on the left and Enrique will pick up injuries 

Spot on - but I'm still waiting for us to be linked with any serious upgrade to the back line. Maybe I've missed something, but the only names I've heard have been Moreno, Lovren, and Cole...all of whom may be good to add to the squad because we're so thin at the back, but I don't think any of those names would be a clear starter over our current starting CBs and FBs. 

A lot depends on Enrique coming back strong next year....that would be much better than any of the names being floated. Flanno could switch back to being a RB and Johnson can claim his rightful spot on the bench. Still, it would be great to bring in a decent option so we wouldn't have to hold our breath every time one of our FBs goes down...

Personally I don't think there is too much wrong with our centre backs individually. 

I think the main problems were as Red Banjo states, the constant changing of the back line. 

We've got Sakho who I think is pretty good and certainly has potential to be the "dominating" type we've lacked since Hyppia's heyday.  Skrtel and Agger are both experienced international defenders who have played with us deep into Champions League campaigns.  Then we've got old man Kolo Toure as 4th choice and a highly rated kid that we paid £8 million for in Ilori.  We've also got Wisdom who could develop into a centre back and was good defensively in the prem when we played him at right back.

If you can't make a decent partnership out of that lot I think the management and coaching needs to be questioned.

I would say we are definitely short of a quality full back though.

• Upvote 2

Personally I don't think there is too much wrong with our centre backs individually.

I think the main problems were as Red Banjo states, the constant changing of the back line.

We've got Sakho who I think is pretty good and certainly has potential to be the "dominating" type we've lacked since Hyppia's heyday. Skrtel and Agger are both experienced international defenders who have played with us deep into Champions League campaigns. Then we've got old man Kolo Toure as 4th choice and a highly rated kid that we paid £8 million for in Ilori. We've also got Wisdom who could develop into a centre back and was good defensively in the prem when we played him at right back.

If you can't make a decent partnership out of that lot I think the management and coaching needs to be questioned.

I would say we are definitely short of a quality full back though.

There's no protection afforded by the midfield, yeah there have been mistakes but teams were getting in behind Gerrard et al too easily at points last year. I'm not sure even the best defenders in the world can cope with that.

Whatever our priority was going into the window is now trumped by the need for a finisher. A proper goalscorer.

At the moment I can see this team bursting forward with pace with only Sturridge as an option.

My worry with Sturridge is coming out of the shadow of Suarez to be the main man- he's definately capable, I just think one more strong, relatively injury free season alongside a top striker would be invaluable for him.

After the season we've just had you have to believe that Rodgers would bank on two proper strikers. Perhaps we should look closer to home and poach someone form the premier league- even then I struggle to come up with anybody other than Remy  

I agree with jose about the CB's. 20 million could be much better spent on a dm or a top class full back.

As for another striker.... All good teams need 4 good strikers imo. We have 2 and a half. Could defo do with one more. Hopefully its the belgian lad.

I agree with jose about the CB's. 20 million could be much better spent on a dm or a top class full back.

As for another striker.... All good teams need 4 good strikers imo. We have 2 and a half. Could defo do with one more. Hopefully its the belgian lad.

We won't have him available next season. We do definitely need a replacement for Suarez though we can't run with Sturridge, Borini and Lambert.

Markovic looks an upgrade on Moses, in the same way a child would be.

Lambert is certainly an upgrade on Aspas.

Lallana is certainly an upgrade on Alberto.

If we can mitigate the shortfall from Suarez to everyone else in his position as much as is ever possible when trying to replace one of the very best players in the world, there's a good chance we'll be stronger overall next season, despite taking that one off enormous hit.

Our first team was as good as anyone's last year but it was virtually all we had. As much as several have been saying we need to strengthen the team not the squad, as with the last time we finished second, it was the weakness of that squad which did for us in the final standings.