You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

If we run out the season with this great form and great football, and if we secure CL (let alone win the league) we become a very appealing possibility for players. Everyone is talking about the football we play, LFC is forever known as a great club to be with and we've got a young dynamic manager willing to give young players a shot.

I think all that  might appeal to a player like Shaw.

If we run out the season with this great form and great football, and if we secure CL (let alone win the league) we become a very appealing possibility for players. Everyone is talking about the football we play, LFC is forever known as a great club to be with and we've got a young dynamic manager willing to give young players a shot.

I think all that  might appeal to a player like Shaw.

Yep to all of that.

And I know £30m - or whatever - is a lot for a left back but he could well sew up the position for 10 years.

Yep to all of that.

And I know £30m - or whatever - is a lot for a left back but he could well sew up the position for 10 years.

If we spend that amount on Shaw then Rodgers has lost his bleeping mind.  "Sew up the position for 10 years."  We could just as easily blow an Andy Carroll-esque fee on another player with limited track record in the Premier League.

Granted, the odds are good with Shaw, but that is the kind of fee that gets you a game-changing player.  We can find a top left back for half that price (or less!) elsewhere.

If we spend that amount on Shaw then Rodgers has lost his bleeping mind.  "Sew up the position for 10 years."  We could just as easily blow an Andy Carroll-esque fee on another player with limited track record in the Premier League.

Granted, the odds are good with Shaw, but that is the kind of fee that gets you a game-changing player.  We can find a top left back for half that price (or less!) elsewhere.

Yeah, like the top left backs for half the price we've bought for the past 20 years.

But, yes, £30m is probably a little steep but he'll go for upwards of £20m. I think we'd be silly not be in for him, though.

I will add, though, Carroll never showed anything at any stage to warrant the fee we paid. Not even half the fee we paid.

I think all that might appeal to a player like Shaw.

This is exactly what I was thinking

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Shaw looks like more than a LB to me. Looks like someone that could eventually be a top class winger.

The next Bale?

Shaw being a fan of Chelsea has been widely reported, but we have to be a very attractive proposition for any young player, purely because at this club if you're good enough you'll play, irrespective of age.

Look how many kids Chelsea sign that just end up going out on loan constantly.

United aren't going to be playing European football, at least not Champions League.

Also look how many Liverpool players make up the England squad.

There are plenty of reasons why he could opt for us.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/luke-shaw-catches-eye-again-but-tottenham-face-30m-bidding-war-9211973.html

Right on cue Spurs are linked too.

It seems like all the top clubs will bid for Shaw.

It really could be £25/30 Million.

That is a crazy amount to spend on a left back. We are playing well this season despite not having a recognised left back, so do we really need to spend a huge amount like that on Shaw.

There are plenty of other options that would cost less than a third of the price of Shaw.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/luke-shaw-catches-eye-again-but-tottenham-face-30m-bidding-war-9211973.html

That is a crazy amount to spend on a left back. We are playing well this season despite not having a recognised left back, so do we really need to spend a huge amount like that on Shaw.

There are plenty of other options that would cost less than a third of the price of Shaw.

Yeah agree.

I think Shaw is really good, especially for a young kid.  But we're not going to have unlimited funds and you can get decent left backs for a lot less than 30 million quid.  We also still have Enrique who is an ok player.  Spend the big monies on attacking players and midfielders.  

Everything is relative, and with CL qualification through the group stages worth, reportedly, over £35m next season, Shaw must be a consideration at the market rate.

The Mancs paid £30m for Ferdinand a decade a go, it was money well spent. the idea that you just spend big on eyecatching midfielders  and forwards ( Ozil and Mata) is misplaced.

The number of players who will improve our team now is pretty small, the price we will have to pay will reflect that.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Same theory was used to overpay for Carroll. That's not to say he'll be as poor a player, but for £30m you want a £30m player. It's the wages that cost money over the time.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

This Summer is about buying players who go straight into the first team and signifcantly improve it and Shaw would do that, at 18.

So would many other players, who are cheaper and don't have a massive price tag that's inflated to fuck. The guy is a 10m player. The talk of 30m is utterly ridiculous. Would I like him? Shaw I would. Can we get a similar player for a lot less? Of course.

This Summer is about buying players who go straight into the first team and signifcantly improve it and Shaw would do that, at 18.

I think you might find that the vast majority of monies to buy players will be used up on new contracts for players already here. It is looking like the way the players contracts are done here now is all performance related. There is already Suarezs new contract that starts and Sturridge  is getting  a new one cause he reached a certain number of goals.

There s Johnson to sort out and the likes of Flanno and Sterling will get improved contracts etc etc etc.