You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

McParland and Borrell sacked?

redfromtubebar

The problem with bringing players through is from ages 18 to 21. We have no strategy for stretching players to their full potential during those ages. Benitez pointed it our years ago and we've talked and talked and done the square root of fuck all apart from arrange some shit loans to lower league team benches. The academy is up to 18yrs old, so that particular problem isn't there. It's from the reserves onwards and that is under Rodgers' control.

Tom Ince showed how you maximize your development post academy. Leave Liverpool.

Isn't the fact they're only making the benches of shit lower league teams an indication in itself?

I don't really blame the Academy for the fact that all of their bright prospects seem to stagnate or go backwards as soon as they make the first team squad.

Suso, Robinson, Wisdom, Sterling, Kelly, Flanagan....the list goes on. Once they're in the squad it's up to the manager and his assistants to bring their game on.

So again,  what does that have to do with the coaching at the club?  I was responding to a different post that suggested that the failure of the likes  of Robinson to get become a first team regular was a sign that coaching wasn't doing a good enough job. I don't see that at all. He needed first team experience, so he goes on loan. There was no failure to improve him at the club. 

Robinson for Blackpool played 11

.3 yellow cards and two red cards.

[–]ElevenRedsIII 32 points 

15 hours ago

right just finished for the day, got in at 7 got told we had a meeting at 8:30 with Phil Roscoe and Alex. In the meeting we were told that both Frank and Borrell had been let go on wednesday and we were told for the next few weeks while Rodgers and the other management sorts out replacements we're going to be sharing extended duties. Whats I thought was crazy is that they (or Frank) will STILL be coming in and helping with his own phasing out but were not to interact with him.. There were one or two coaches that put in complaints and protests in the meeting but im sure others put in complaints throughout the day.. the big dogs are all in a fucking mood though as a result, i get the vibe that they arent happy with the decision or with the extra workload dumped on them and on top of it they have everybody moaning at them about the extra work

as crazy as this may sound....I feel like this is Brendan making a power play, Frank and Borrell have largely agreed with BR's input but they have always maintained control of the academy and players and influenced their development to their own accord and to be fair have had good success. BR is a very smart manager but wants and needs to control everything to get exactly what he wants (in a good way) I feel that there have been a few times when Frank and Borrell have fought with him on ideas and this sacking now allows him to bring more of his own people in and take the academy and player development in the direction he wants.

[–]slayinbzs 10 points

13 hours  ago

obviously you know better than anyone what is going on, but it definitely seems like odd timing to be making a power play. any reason for why BR would do this now?

[–]ElevenRedsIII 12 points

13 hours  ago

Not sure on the timing but for a while BR has wanted to add his influence and set the direction of the development of the academy and while their was respect between Borrell, Frank and BR they had different ideas on where and how they wanted to continue development and they also believed that being a separate entity to Melwood that they should be allowed to make the calls for the academy and players without having 'outside influences' challenging or changing their decisions.

BR from what I've been told has been involved with all levels of the club from day one and likes to have as much control as possible over everything to get exactly what he wants (again, in a good way) but not everybody has agreed with his input on certain matters.

[–]Omnislip 4 points

12 hours  ago

You don't think it's more likely they were caught trying to get another job?

[–]ElevenRedsIII 6 points

11 hours  ago

could be a mix of both, they may have been looking which then gave BR his reason to out them both

but wont know for certain until management chills out in a couple of days/week and I can then ask them.. i dont want to give an impression that im taking a side when everybody is riled up

"Especially these days, the attitude of young players..."

I recall Rodgers saying in an interview.

He's absolutely right, they're a bunch of lazy arrogant shits for the most part. You read an interview with Coutinho, and then read one from a similar aged British youngster, it's chalk and cheese.

I don't like Sterling, almost everything about him, he comes across as a fucking whopper.

• Upvote 2

Guest San Don

The thing for me is we don't really know how good these fellas actually are. They've got a good reputation because the academy sides are actually half decent to watch and are relatively successful. At that age you don't know whether that's good coaching or just simply because the players are a level above. Then you don't know whether they are worthy of the credit or the scouts are. Obviously the club will know exactly where the players come from and how and be able to see how well they think they are at coaching. Even then the coaching thing comes down to opinion.

The difference for me is that I actually trust Rodgers more than I do Rafa and Houllier with something like this. Rodgers has come in and pretty much the first major thing he did was give Sterling a start against City. It sent out a message to the youth players "you will get a chance."

It's something that needed doing for a long time. We've watched United do it for years with no fear. Even if they weren't as good as the Scholes and Giggs' were, plenty of them did a job for United and won trophies. We need to be the club that the best youth players want to come to because they know they will get a chance and we can and will be playing at the highest level. We aren't going to be successful buying our way there and we are based in Liverpool for fuck sake. It's the best place for top class players in the country. They should all be playing here.

Rodgers has shown he has the balls to give them a chance unlike previous managers and therefore I've got more trust in him making decisions like this. If he feels like the players coming through aren't mentally or physically prepared enough or aren't at the peak of their strength for their age they he needs to hire people who are going to get them there.

"Youth" is being given a "chance" because the owners will not or cannot fund big player purchases. Its not because of any philosophy of the manager.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I think the problem we have regarding players getting into the first team is we dont really give them a chance. The likes of United will play a youngster or two , but here instead of using them we buy a player for a position rather than promoting somebody.

We get Moses on loan when we could be using Raheem or Ibe. We have loaned Suso out to Almeria and he is having a stormer out there. They totally love him and personally I think we will have a hard time getting him back.

Can easily see one of the bigger Spanish clubs wanting him and us selling him.

I think the problem we have regarding players getting into the first team is we dont really give them a chance. The likes of United will play a youngster or two , but here instead of using them we buy a player for a position rather than promoting somebody.

We get Moses on loan when we could be using Raheem or Ibe. We have loaned Suso out to Almeria and he is having a stormer out there. They totally love him and personally I think we will have a hard time getting him back.

Can easily see one of the bigger Spanish clubs wanting him and us selling him.

I said the same things about Suso, if he was on loan to a lower premiership team or a championship team he'd be back next season. I don't think he'll be back now he's back home in Spain, I really don't. Athletico/Valencia or similar will buy him for 6-10m. We'll regret sending him out to Spain. He's going to be a top player.

The main problem nowadays is that managers constantly walk a tightrope between expediency and forward planning. I would be happy for us to bring Suso back as a first team player next season, but let's be honest, there are a lot of people who would be critical of the manager if he did that rather than sign an established player. Football fans nowadays just don't have the patience to stick with young players while they are learning and developing, as we have seen with some of the criticism of Sterling.

Why would we sell Suso?

We may have no choice. If he's adamant he wants to go hell go, it's not like the Suarez saga where it was absolutely necessary to keep him at all cost. If Suso comes back and says he wants to leave to stay in Spain I don't think Brendan's the type to keep him and stagnate his development. He's a massive advocator of young players, playing to develop.

I hope we keep him, if he becomes the player I think he will, well have him and Coutinho either side of a front man, that's some top notch quality right there.