You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ashes Down Under 2013/14

RobbieOR

I'd say this window of the first 3 Tests (perhaps even less) could be the last hurrah for Mitchell Johnson as a Test bowler. I'm fairly sure he'll be around at least until the ODI World Cup in Australia next summer, but with Pattinson, Starc, Cummins, Bird and Hazlewood all ahead of him in the queue but for injury and all bar Bird are 23 or under (Bird is 26) then he'll have to hit the ground running and make a real impact early. Brisbane is his best chance of doing that, given its conditions favour his bowling (he also played FC cricket there for a decade for Queensland), not to mention that if England go 2-0 up before we reach what would be a critical Test in Perth, he could be out of the side already.

This will be much much closer than most of you are saying.

I think it depends on England's 2nd/3rd seamer.  If they get the performance out of Finn/Tremlett that they did last Ashes down under from those two (plus Bresnan), England will win easily.

England have question marks over the second opener plus Prior's fitness.  Cook and Trott can't be anywhere near as poor as they were in England.  Australia have question marks over their entire batting order, bar Clarke and he has fitness issues.  Ryan Harris is their only bowler who can take wickets.

This will be much much closer than most of you are saying.

I think England have the much better bowling attack and the wickets should suit players like Finn or Tremlett.

Don't think England will bat any worse than they did at home, actually I think the wickets will suit the batsman more.

I think it will be less close than the last series.  Hard to guess the scores with the weather etc and I'm sure Australia will have really good sessions and patches through out the series.  But I can only see England winning and I think it will be comfortable.

I think England have the much better bowling attack and the wickets should suit players like Finn or Tremlett.

Don't think England will bat any worse than they did at home, actually I think the wickets will suit the batsman more.

I think it will be less close than the last series.  Hard to guess the scores with the weather etc and I'm sure Australia will have really good sessions and patches through out the series.  But I can only see England winning and I think it will be comfortable.

Their attack is much less varied. All big bowlers who hit the deck hard. If Anderson or Swann arent on form, then it'll be hard for them to take wickets. 

The Aussies are a much more settled team than the summer. Lehmann will have them fired up. 

Their attack is much less varied. All big bowlers who hit the deck hard. If Anderson or Swann arent on form, then it'll be hard for them to take wickets. 

The Aussies are a much more settled team than the summer. Lehmann will have them fired up. 

No substitute for quality though is there.  I don't think being fired up really means anything.  I also don't think the Aussies are that settled.  Warner and Watson still hate each other, no-one really likes Michael Clarke.  George Bailey has done well in one day cricket but averaged 18 in first class cricket last year.  They've had to go back to Mitchell Johnson!  If England win the first test the Aussies will panic like mad, then that will be that.

Johnson is an idiot. Basically advocating going out to injure batsmen if he can't get them away from the crease legitimately, by taking their wicket. I hope this comes back to bite him and i'm sure Tremlett and Broad will be doing exactly the same to him, without the need to come out and actually state it. He looks like Dave Grohl's retarded brother anyway, the biff.

• Upvote 1

Fast bowler trying to intimidate batsmen shocker. I'd be pissed off if he wasn't trying to get them hopping around a bit. Do you think that Tremlett and Rankin are in the squad for their looks? Cos they aren't that pretty.

There's a difference between Johnson and Tremlett though, one actually has the ability to pitch it on the square and make batsmen hopping around. The other one is just a shitcunt.

Australia to win 2-1

just can't trust english batsmen in the last 18 months.  not been remotely good enough.  hope they turn it around but I ain't holding my breath. 

I've been advocating getting a solid new opener alongside Cook, and dropping Root down to the lower middle order (where I think he's far better atm) since the spring.

Hopefully Carberry will be that man.

I'm really liking the look of our potential side atm.

Cook

Carberry

Trott

Pieterson

Bell

Root

Prior

Broad

Swann

Tremlett

Anderson

Great balance, loads of runs and a potent attack. At least that's who I'd pick for the 1st test.

I've been advocating getting a solid new opener alongside Cook, and dropping Root down to the lower middle order (where I think he's far better atm) since the spring.

Hopefully Carberry will be that man.

I'm really liking the look of our potential side atm.

Cook

Carberry

Trott

Pieterson

Bell

Root

Prior

Broad

Swann

Tremlett

Anderson

Great balance, loads of runs and a potent attack. At least that's who I'd pick for the 1st test.

It's who we'd all pick mate.

I went back through some

There's a difference between Johnson and Tremlett though, one actually has the ability to pitch it on the square and make batsmen hopping around. The other one is just a shitcunt.

I wouldn't go as far as calling Tremlett a shitcunt but....

• Upvote 1