You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Floyd Mayweather vs Saul "Canelo" Alvarez

Kevin D

Right I'll be honest here and say I had the Mayweather fight close. As superb as Floyd was I thought Alvarez just outworked him in a good few rounds. Even though Alvarez didn't land pretty much anything clean he just kept touching Floyd on the arms and the side of his body and for me Floyd just didn't do enough in some rounds.

When Floyd did do his thing he was superb and it was clear who was the genius in there but he didn't dominate the fight for 12 like people are making out, I thought the boxnation commentators were awful last night. Floyd had a lot of respect for Canelo for those 12 rounds.

116-112 was about right for me. There's no one out there to trouble Floyd now, Canelo was his biggest obstacle.

That was a real hardluck story for Matthyse, he was starting to take control until the eye and the knockdown was a bit controversial. Showed a lot of guts but came up short. Garcia was impressive as a boxer last, he looks like he's improving and he's got a solid chin on him.

Right I'll be honest here and say I had the Mayweather fight close. As superb as Floyd was I thought Alvarez just outworked him in a good few rounds. Even though Alvarez didn't land pretty much anything clean he just kept touching Floyd on the arms and the side of his body and for me Floyd just didn't do enough in some rounds.

When Floyd did do his thing he was superb and it was clear who was the genius in there but he didn't dominate the fight for 12 like people are making out, I thought the boxnation commentators were awful last night. Floyd had a lot of respect for Canelo for those 12 rounds.

116-112 was about right for me. There's no one out there to trouble Floyd now, Canelo was his biggest obstacle.

That was a real hardluck story for Matthyse, he was starting to take control until the eye and the knockdown was a bit controversial. Showed a lot of guts but came up short. Garcia was impressive as a boxer last, he looks like he's improving and he's got a solid chin on him.

What was controversial about it? I didn't watch any of the undercard but the reactions to that fight have left me wishing I had.

Also I do agree with you about the main event, I didn't see the fight as an outright blowout like some did but the draw was still criminal. Unless boxing is really that different of viewing from a TV to ringside, and considering there's only two people to watch, 3 if the referee seems dodgy, I doubt that very much. Obviously things like hand speed, footwork are more impressive in person but neither of those things were going in Canelo's favor in this case and even a viewer that's just semi-educated on the sport could pick those things up on a television anyway.

I don't know about the reaction over there but it's been par for the course for recent Mayweather fights here. People that like him claim he's the greatest thing since the wheel and people that don't think he doesn't fight just runs around. I get the latter opinion, but it's rather annoying having someone make the point that "If he stood still for just a little Canelo would have knocked him out" when clearly that's the whole reason Floyd doesn't stand still. Overall, I think my main reason why Canelo should have waited to challenge Mayweather was spot on. While the tools were there, from a technical standpoint he even made Floyd bite on the feint enough times to capitalize but he didn't pull the trigger in those crucial seconds, the know how wasn't. Lack of execution and/or recognition that likely wouldn't have been a factor had Canelo been more experienced.

For some Mayweather will have been the clear best for a while, for me I feel like it's a case of what might have been had he fought Pacquiao when both were at their peak.

• Upvote 1

What was controversial about it? I didn't watch any of the undercard but the reactions to that fight have left me wishing I had. .

He was punched at the back of the head so he was pushed into the ropes where he got tangled up. Garcia caught him with a few shots and one sent him off balance, the ref really should of stepped in for either the first punch or the fact he was tangled up.

• Upvote 1