You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Real Ale Drinkers

dickie mint

I was on the Ale in Ormskirk yesterday and went into this new boozer it's run by a Burscough Brewery well that's what this fella was telling us,it sell it's own brewed Ale and was packed with the real Ale drinkers.

I was on the Lager and in and out of the betting shop all day so I don't know what brews they where selling but if that's your scene it looks like it's worth a visit.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got into real ales (from bottles) recently. Banana bread beer set me on my way (im sure there's a thread about it any way it lovely stuff). So ive proceeded to try nearly every real ale form the shelf at tescos. My current favourites are Hobgoblin (really nice darker ale - great with food) , Oyster Stoute, A good session ale is London Pride. Spitfire is also worth a try nice stuff. It is true you also get less of a hangover from real ales or good beers.

But have you ever seen a real ale drinker without a beard ?

Thought not, dodgy fuckers.

I've gone almost totally off lagers and am loving some real ale the last few months. My mate's opened a pub and he has some lovely beers on. Not too keen on the darker stronger ales though, I like the lighter blonde beers.

I was at the Leeds Beer Festival a couple of weeks back. Me and my mate felt distinctly out of place not having facial hair.

Some amazing beers on show though, lots of microbrewery stuff. Some foreign beers too, some fucking amazing weissbier straight out of the barrel. One of the best I tried was a chocolate and chilli stout. Wasn't as thick tasting as a normal stout, surprising really. My mate's getting a half-barrel in at his pub when he can. That ain't gonna last long.

I've been invited to the Saltaire Brewery trade night in a couple of weeks. Some free beer, food laid on and a brewery tour. Should be a good one.

I've gone almost totally off lagers and am loving some real ale the last few months. My mate's opened a pub and he has some lovely beers on. Not too keen on the darker stronger ales though, I like the lighter blonde beers.

I was at the Leeds Beer Festival a couple of weeks back. Me and my mate felt distinctly out of place not having facial hair.

Some amazing beers on show though, lots of microbrewery stuff. Some foreign beers too, some fucking amazing weissbier straight out of the barrel. One of the best I tried was a chocolate and chilli stout. Wasn't as thick tasting as a normal stout, surprising really. My mate's getting a half-barrel in at his pub when he can. That ain't gonna last long.

I've been invited to the Saltaire Brewery trade night in a couple of weeks. Some free beer, food laid on and a brewery tour. Should be a good one.

Don't shave and buy a cardie...Bob's yer uncle mate.

Seriously though, I'd love to try a pint of the Chocolate and Chili stout, sounds delish, but probs not the sort of beer you could neck all night.

Got to be honest ive been a larger drinker for years. I've been into decent largers for years having tried and loved all the german / belgium beers. You'll alway find some Duvel around my house. I thought i'd give the british ales a try since then ive really been enjoying a wide range of traditional ales. That Oyster Stout is lovely it has a hint of chocolate in it.

Don't shave and buy a cardie...Bob's yer uncle mate.

Seriously though, I'd love to try a pint of the Chocolate and Chili stout, sounds delish, but probs not the sort of beer you could neck all night.

This is the bugger. Yeah I reckon 2 or 3 pints tops.

IMG_0008_zps87363da2.jpg

Leeds is awash with some fantastic micro-brewery ales since Tetleys bit the dust. Kirkstall Brewery is turning out some fine pale ales at the moment - 'Three Swords' is as good as you could wish for. Cheap too. Actually, nearly all the decent pubs round here have ditched most of the corporate beers in favour of local ales and 'proper lager'. Good times.

Leeds is awash with some fantastic micro-brewery ales since Tetleys bit the dust. Kirkstall Brewery is turning out some fine pale ales at the moment - 'Three Swords' is as good as you could wish for. Cheap too. Actually, nearly all the decent pubs round here have ditched most of the corporate beers in favour of local ales and 'proper lager'. Good times.

Is right mate. Best thing that ever happened for the enjoyment of geat beers was Tetleys doing one.

Is right mate. Best thing that ever happened for the enjoyment of geat beers was Tetleys doing one.

Mind you, back when I was 19 and had my first proper job, I used to be a regular in a place called The White Rose.

They used to have Tetley's Imperial on and I used to drink that by the fucking gallon. A really nice, smooth pint back then at least.

I like good beer, and I like good lager.

I don't like shit beer, and I don't like shit lager.

Simple.

That's spot on.

Don't get out to pubs as much as I used to but remember the delights of Wobbly Bob in The Swan in Wood St very well, and all the other stuff they always had in there long before it became fashionable.

The supermarket real ales are always good, I don't think I've tasted one I didn't like, though maybe SOME of the Shepherd Neame ones aren't up to the standard of the others.

However..........the snobbery of some of the real ale crowd can be a bit off putting, always thinking everything else is shite.

On a hot summer's day (remember them?) I'd prefer to sit in the garden with a can or two of Fosters or something similar to any real ale.

That's spot on.

Don't get out to pubs as much as I used to but remember the delights of Wobbly Bob in The Swan in Wood St very well, and all the other stuff they always had in there long before it became fashionable.

The supermarket real ales are always good, I don't think I've tasted one I didn't like, though maybe SOME of the Shepherd Neame ones aren't up to the standard of the others.

However..........the snobbery of some of the real ale crowd can be a bit off putting, always thinking everything else is shite.

On a hot summer's day (remember them?) I'd prefer to sit in the garden with a can or two of Fosters or something similar to any real ale.

1. How come mate ?

2. I completely agree (except for the Fosters !). It's even hard to remember what the sun feels like anymore.

Hoping to clock up some sun kissed, drink fueled hours at the cricket club this summer.

Don't get out to pubs as much as I used to due to the outrageous cost of a pint. I only get to a handful of matches these days so that reduces my opportunities straight away.

I know beer is relatively cheap in supermarkets, though various interference from govt backed health nazis are doing their best to change that, and there is still the likes of Wetherspoons that sell it comparatively cheap. Other than that, people telling me that it is cheaper than ever these days are liars as far as I'm concerned.

How can a man go out and drink 14 pints these days when it's over £3 a pint? :drool:

I actually don't think people go out and sit in the pub any more (if they can find one that's not closed down) just for a drinking session the way we used to not that long ago.

Even those that do, such as "young people" in town at weekends get either coked up or tanked up on supermarket bought stuff beforehand, thus reducing the amount they actually drink when out anyway.

Don't care what anyone says or what stats they produce to convince me otherwise, the cost of a pint in the pub is a disgrace and, although I know it's not the only reason so many of them are closing down, it must play a big part.

Don't get out to pubs as much as I used to due to the outrageous cost of a pint. I only get to a handful of matches these days so that reduces my opportunities straight away.

I know beer is relatively cheap in supermarkets, though various interference from govt backed health nazis are doing their best to change that, and there is still the likes of Wetherspoons that sell it comparatively cheap. Other than that, people telling me that it is cheaper than ever these days are liars as far as I'm concerned.

How can a man go out and drink 14 pints these days when it's over £3 a pint? :drool:

I actually don't think people go out and sit in the pub any more (if they can find one that's not closed down) just for a drinking session the way we used to not that long ago.

Even those that do, such as "young people" in town at weekends get either coked up or tanked up on supermarket bought stuff beforehand, thus reducing the amount they actually drink when out anyway.

Don't care what anyone says or what stats they produce to convince me otherwise, the cost of a pint in the pub is a disgrace and, although I know it's not the only reason so many of them are closing down, it must play a big part.

100%

I remember when I first started doing the rounds with all my mates, we'd start off at 7pm in our local, then knock back (at least) a pint in each pub, then move on to the next pub after half an hour.

Nightclubs shut at 2 in those days and my alcohol intake was seriously serious !

These days it's pretty rare that I'm out til 4am, although I did manage it Thursday, Friday and Saturday last week !

43, getting way too old mate.

Dropped into Tesco to pick up some bottles and they've dropped all the better beers from their special offer... what a sham. Shame as I was looking forward to some of Butcombe Brewery's finest now I'm through lent. If I go to a proper ale shop it'll be Otter for me.