You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does Rodgers deserve another season.

thompsonsnose

So what are his options?

Stick a lucrative contract out or resign and join? Do you think he would get a club of similar standing and similar wages?

Generally, no, not from here if he leaves in the summer. Though, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's back at a big club sometime in the future.

For me, he backs himself in this role. So his reason for not quitting wouldn't be 'this is as good as it gets'; it would be 'I'm good enough to be here and will make this club successful if given the chance'.

not sure many doubt FSG's ruthlessness; rather their appetite.

That is my sense.

Some cite KK's sacking after wining the LC as evidence of FSG's ruthlessness. I think there was more to it than on the pitch performance.

They own us as a financial investment, I am simply not sure that they see that investment sufficiently threatened at the moment. It is the wins and lsses on the balance sheet that get their attention.

• Upvote 1

For me, he backs himself in this role. So his reason for not quitting wouldn't be 'this is as good as it gets'; it would be 'I'm good enough to be here and will make this club successful if given the chance'.

Fair comment, and maybe a bit of both.

not sure many doubt FSG's ruthlessness; rather their appetite.  

True. I guess I'm in the minority in that I think they've got both, but they fuck it up by trying to be too clever.

They're like a second hand car dealer that buys a classic E Type and tries to patch it up on the cheap, buggers up their own welding and ends up spending double what was necessary. 

• Upvote 2

NO.

Suarez carried him through all his naivety.

He's learnt fuck all.

As is being ably demonstrated right now.

Square pegs and alienated players everywhere.

We are now slammed in reverse.

So how long will you give the new guy before starting a thread questioning whether he deserves more time?

So what are his options?

Stick a lucrative contract out or resign and join? Do you think he would get a club of similar standing and similar wages?

Sometimes it's not about that.  Surely, any manager wants to be in a situation where he is a major influence on the outcome?  Sometimes, constraints are too, well, constraining.  

There are more important things than money, X, as you well know, otherwise you wouldn't have turned down that regular Opinion gig on the Daily Mail. 

That is my sense.

Some cite KK's sacking after wining the LC as evidence of FSG's ruthlessness. I think there was more to it than on the pitch performance.

They own us as a financial investment, I am simply not sure that they see that investment sufficiently threatened at the moment. It is the wins and lsses on the balance sheet that get their attention.

agreed.

Kenny was sacked after he was summoned to Boston. I got the sense that the owners weren't happy with the way the money had been spent and made Kenny's continued tenure contingent on an embryonic transfer committee. Being old school, he refused and was sacked for it.

The furor over chad was far worse than this transfer window, which is at least as bad.

He was a proven goalscorer in a league generally played at a snail's pace, where he was allowed to spend most of the game wandering around picking his nose, occasionally waking up to take a penalty. Whilst we have no doubt managed to get the absolute least out of him, there was no way he was ever going to replicate anything like his scoring record in Italy with us.

30 goals in 48 games for City. I didn't expect him to replicate that for us, but about half of that should have been achievable. That's not unreasonable, is it?

Sometimes it's not about that.  Surely, any manager wants to be in a situation where he is a major influence on the outcome?  Sometimes, constraints are too, well, constraining.

Relatively speaking, being able to pay £200k a week for a world class player, and £100k for a decent PL pro, as well as routinely being able to spend £20m in the transfer market is not that constraining, but the £15m outstanding on his own contract is.

I have no downer on Brendan personally. But I do think that the task of rejuvenating our front line, replacing Gerrard (and his goals),progressing in Europe, and crashing the top four is beyond him right now.

Kenny was sacked after he was summoned to Boston. I got the sense that the owners weren't happy with the way the money had been spent and made Kenny's continued tenure contingent on an embryonic transfer committee. Being old school, he refused and was sacked for it.

I think that FSG were spooked by KK's handling of the Evra/Suarez affair and the combination of a veteran football expert in KK and inexperienced CEO in Ayre was fragile.

There can be little doubt that Brendan handled the Suarez minefield pretty well, and that having less PL experience than Ayre equalises the relationship.

Brendan continues t refer to us as a project. But is the team as it is now significantly better than the one he inherited? Has the project developed?

I agree Borini is the best option, then Yesil then Lambert but for the love of god don't play Balotelli again, he's like a black hole where football moves go to die. I think Brendan knows he's in the crosshairs, just his body language in the West Brom game, crouched by the advertising boards, looking completely dejected.

He's using these last few games to show FSG that it's the committee's fault he's failing rather than himself, he's doing that by playing Mario all the time to show how fucking terrible he is. 

I think there is little doubt that we should have seen more goals from Balotelli than we have.  I  agree with you about Borini - he's actually better without the ball, in that he causes defenders to chase him about; when he has the ball he normally fucks up, so he should be used as some duracell decoy.   I don't agree that Rodgers already knows his fate - there are still four games to go - over 10% of the season, and if they end anything like the previous three, then Rodgers' tenure surely becomes untenable to even the staunchest advocate.   

I hope you're right, Stringers, I really do. But we're not seeing it from the manager or players. We're not seeing any urgency, any passion, any sense that it actually matters how we end the season. As soon as we lost to Villa that was the end of the season, it shouldn't have been in terms of the level of effort and desire, but from that point we could no longer win anything or get a Champions League place. I think his job should very much be on the line. Win the last four games and we finish 5th fairly close to 4th, and he probably warrants being our manager next season. Finish below Southampton and he should be sacked. I just don't have the feeling FSG see things that way.

I've quoted Boss above, I don't know if I really agree that Rodgers is sending messages, but if he is it suggests he knows his job is safe. 

I just can't get my head around Balotelli playing. We should be using, and should have used since the Villa game, these last few games to blood some youngsters (not chuck in half a dozen, we should be doing all we can to win as well). Yet we're just putting the same shite out, with the same formation/tactics that haven't worked, players out of position, isolated forward, etc, etc. Why is Johnson playing? He's getting fucked off in the summer. It's sending out such a terrible message. Use these four remaining games to build something, anything. Some optimism.

I read somewhere that the main reason FSG got rid of the owl faced cunt was that home attendance had fallen off markedly. It wasn't the shite results per se but the fact that Woy was threatening the bottom line with his particular brand of turgid dross (thanks, Cecil).

Brendan hasn't reached this stage yet so I expect him to be safe for at least the start of next season.

I reckon we'll reach this stage Christmas time.

He'll be a good manager at some stage but it won't be with us and it'll be several years down the line.

The thought process behind his appointment still staggers me 

The furor over chad was far worse than this transfer window, which is at least as bad.

Translation: I have no idea what happened, but this is what my woman's intuition picked up.

• Upvote 2

I don't think FSG will see Rodgers as 'the safe option' at all.

Sponsorship and advertising is critical to their vision of raising revenue, and we're about to embark on increasing the size of the stadium, and these things just don't add up if the team underperforms year on year.

Would Dunkin Donuts be arsed about us if we lined up with Joe Cole, Andy Carroll, Charlie Adam and Stewart Downing?

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/corporate/partners

Look at them all. They'll start to fall away and be replaced by online betting agencies and lower-paying shite, like Newcastle have got:

http://www.nufc.co.uk/page/Club/Commercial/OurPartnersIndex

Fucking Wonga.

And it's around the corner if carry on at this rate. FSG can't ignore that, he'll hurt their bottom line.

That is my sense.

Quite fitting at this time, but one needs only refer to the recent Twitter map of club popularity to see that we have some 'marginal seats' in places we used to dominate.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/04/22/football/premier-league-twitter-world-map/

If they don't see a threat to their investment due to yet more on-field inadequacies then they're in for a big surprise in the next couple of years when it comes to tours and business partners.