You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool U21 v Man Utd U21,

kop77

I think the way we are designed to press is not to have the whole team pressing and squeezing up the pitch. The way we did under Benitez or the way Barcelona do. The "pressing" is based on certain triggers and only players in certain positions react to those triggers, rather than the whole team. It is more focused on winning the ball quickly and then attacking off the transition. More Mourinho style than Benitez.

Yep that's much the way I see it, and the issue for me is that it is not possible for only certain players to react to the triggers. If someone leaves the line on a trigger. The players alongside and behind him need to adjust based on the space that has been opened up. This does not happen consistently. It's not so much about rigid lines a la benitez or otherwise, it's about you must always be organized relative to the spaces that are opening and closing up. And we aren't very well drilled at that.

I'd be interested to see an analysis of goals or chances conceded as the season has progressed. From my eyes I think we have conceded less due to teams running through the midfield as the season has progressed, but more (annoyingly) from set pieces. Is that actually the case?

I don't know how to check that. My gut says that while we may or may not have conceded less that way, that we haven't improved significantly terms of actually defending that way. Even with Lucas back and what 40+ games defending that way.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? How many penetrative passes has Xavi made in the last few years? How good is Messi at penetrating? Oo-er. There is always the idea to create, even if possession is also seen as key.

Whoops, I mistook this for a sensible discussion.

Perhaps you are a bit too beloved of systems rather than a system that embraces individualism?

Yeah that's right. Ask me if I go the game lid.

Whoops, I mistook this for a sensible discussion.

Yeah that's right. Ask me if I go the game lid.

A little bit touchy dude, come on.

You're the one who started it anyway with the simplification of: "None of this Barcelona 1 pass forward followed by 3 passes sideways stuff for us."

Perhaps I was a tad patronising in return, but are you not hankering after a bit more "control"?

A little bit touchy dude, come on.

You're the one who started it anyway with the simplification of: "None of this Barcelona 1 pass forward followed by 3 passes sideways stuff for us."

That is not a simplification, that is one of their coaching principles that they use to ingrain systematic possession orientation.

Perhaps I was a tad patronising in return, but are you not hankering after a bit more "control"?

Not half as patronising as that bit of amateur psychoanalysis.

That is not a simplification, that is one of their coaching principles that they use to ingrain systematic possession orientation.

Not half as patronising as that bit of amateur psychoanalysis.

Psychoanalysis? I meant purely in the footballing system sense.

Anyhow, got any links to the Barca coaching principles thing? Tis the first I've heard that they had this 3 to 1 ratio idea for possession.

Thanks.

Psychoanalysis? I meant purely in the footballing system sense.

Anyhow, got any links to the Barca coaching principles thing? Tis the first I've heard that they had this 3 to 1 ratio idea for possession.

Thanks.

No. Join a coaching forum and ask coaches who have visited and transcribed their sessions.

It was amazing how the failings of the first team were exactly those of the reserves the first time I've seen them live this year.

No defensive cover at all in midfield, the midfield being too weak, not quick enough and too easily bullied out of the game, not enough movement off the ball and a big physical striker terrorises the fuck out of our defence.

I've often thought the way Spain play is one of the least efficient set ups I've ever seen and that they win despite it rather than because of it. Seeing the similar style that Rodgers is bringing in here is only reinforcing that opinion. If teams don't fear you and your passing doesn't totally click on the day you're left so wide open that most teams will take advantage.

On the plus side the keeper looked pretty good last night as did Coady playing at the back. Shelvey put himself about but his style of tackling is going to see him carded time after time against better players.

Reports and a picture in the wail show a scum united fan on the pitch supposedly confronting Morgan. hmm, pitch invader and flare at a game. Wonder how much the FA will fine manchester united for that?

Wont hold my breath.

Defensive Counter attacking dressed up and rebranded as 'cavalier' referee as the 12th man, red cards, 94th minute mis hit winners, cunts for fans...

See there's a man u blueprint and philosophy throughout the system which should ensure a smooth transition to the top level.

Reports and a picture in the wail show a scum united fan on the pitch supposedly confronting Morgan. hmm, pitch invader and flare at a game. Wonder how much the FA will fine manchester united for that?

Wont hold my breath.

No chance. they will be praised for highlighting (sic) our poor security arrangements, and we will be penalised accordingly

Fan will reveal that the flare was bought from a Mr L Suarez................

It was amazing how the failings of the first team were exactly those of the reserves the first time I've seen them live this year.

No defensive cover at all in midfield, the midfield being too weak, not quick enough and too easily bullied out of the game, not enough movement off the ball and a big physical striker terrorises the fuck out of our defence.

I've often thought the way Spain play is one of the least efficient set ups I've ever seen and that they win despite it rather than because of it. Seeing the similar style that Rodgers is bringing in here is only reinforcing that opinion. If teams don't fear you and your passing doesn't totally click on the day you're left so wide open that most teams will take advantage.

On the plus side the keeper looked pretty good last night as did Coady playing at the back. Shelvey put himself about but his style of tackling is going to see him carded time after time against better players.

If you'd seen more games, you'd know that last night was unrepresentative of the U21s this season and that your opening remark holds no merit at all. Defensively, the team was deprived of.... John Flanagan, injured, Jack Robinson, loan, Brad Smith, injured, Pelosi (who has mostly been in midfield but is also a natural left back), injured and Danny wilson, loan. This meant that Coady and Roddan, who have been providing plenty of defensive cover all season, had to play in defence. Add to that the fact that Pacheco and Ngoo who both had excellent first halves of the season are also on loan and Yesil is injured, it meant that there was only a handful of the team who have done so well up to now actually on the pitch last night. The big disappointment was the performance of some of the team who dropped down from the 1st team squad, specifically Sterling and Suso.

On another note, is it just me thinking that refs should show a bit more discretion at this level? The guy last night couldn't wait to get his card out and ruined the match as a consequence. Surely the purpose of these games, whilst obviously competitive, should be all about the development of youngsters? Referees should be doing their best to keep players on the pitch, not looking for every opportunity to get their cards out. Sure, Sama will have learned from this...... don't take any risks whatsoever when playing against ManU, because, even at this level, refs seem to want to do them a favour.

I was in the press box last night. I can't believe more hasn't been made about those slavvering Manc cunts' behaviour yet again. Throwing a flare AT Andre Wisdom. Invading the pitch when they scored.

I've never seen anything like it, it was at a fucking ressies game. They want fucking off from Anfield next season, it's just incredible how ridiculously big their inferiority complex is.

If you'd seen more games, you'd know that last night was unrepresentative of the U21s this season and that your opening remark holds no merit at all. Defensively, the team was deprived of.... John Flanagan, injured, Jack Robinson, loan, Brad Smith, injured, Pelosi (who has mostly been in midfield but is also a natural left back), injured and Danny wilson, loan. This meant that Coady and Roddan, who have been providing plenty of defensive cover all season, had to play in defence. Add to that the fact that Pacheco and Ngoo who both had excellent first halves of the season are also on loan and Yesil is injured, it meant that there was only a handful of the team who have done so well up to now actually on the pitch last night. The big disappointment was the performance of some of the team who dropped down from the 1st team squad, specifically Sterling and Suso.

On another note, is it just me thinking that refs should show a bit more discretion at this level? The guy last night couldn't wait to get his card out and ruined the match as a consequence. Surely the purpose of these games, whilst obviously competitive, should be all about the development of youngsters? Referees should be doing their best to keep players on the pitch, not looking for every opportunity to get their cards out. Sure, Sama will have learned from this...... don't take any risks whatsoever when playing against ManU, because, even at this level, refs seem to want to do them a favour.

Exactly. I've watched them regularly and there were squares in round holes all over the pitch. Coady or Roddan would normally have provided a defensive shield whereas last night this role was given to Adorjan, a creative attacking midfielder. His role in turn was taken by a very lack lustre Suso ( for whatever reason).

There was enough quality on the pitch to win that game but as a famous comedian once said 'not necessarily in the right order'.

The coaches attitude is games like these is valuable experience to those played out of position and up against it 10 v 11.

The ref loved getting the card out for Sama though. He knew the cameras were on him and was struggling to contain his grin.

I was in the press box last night. I can't believe more hasn't been made about those slavvering Manc cunts' behaviour yet again. Throwing a flare AT Andre Wisdom. Invading the pitch when they scored.

I've never seen anything like it, it was at a fucking ressies game. They want fucking off from Anfield next season, it's just incredible how ridiculously big their inferiority complex is.

They have form for this. We had similar problems at the youth cup game last year at Anfield with Hillsborough songs.

Both games for the most part attended by families, and these small time manc chavs turn up thinking they're in an audition for the latest shit hoolie film.

Shithouses all of them.

And it's not jut one or two exceptions to the rule. In both cases there were loads of them.

lad i know on twitter said there was a fair few fights afterwards as well.... fucking dickheads. thing is a lot of mancs live in st helens anyway hence the big turnout for them.

If you'd seen more games, you'd know that last night was unrepresentative of the U21s this season and that your opening remark holds no merit at all.

I have seen more than a few games. But I've been watched on the internet rather than being at the ground as last night.

Last night was the first time I've seen this year's reserves being tested - the online games have been a bit of a stroll for them. To be honest, and as you see a lot more live than watching with dodgy LFCtv camera work, I can't say I was impressed by the standard of player or by the team's tactics.

Nemeth was head and shoulders above anything else on the pitch in the reserves a few years ago. And didn't get a sniff of first team duties when we had a decent first team. I couldn't say one player has stood out, Pacheco possibly, from the games I've seen this year.

lad i know on twitter said there was a fair few fights afterwards as well.... fucking dickheads. thing is a lot of mancs live in st helens anyway hence the big turnout for them.

A lot of them spawn in St Helens, apparently it was a mix of known and unknown faces in that stand according to a steward I was talking to.

Suso, Sterling and Morgan aren't good enough in my opinion. I've seen countless young players come through, if they're going to make it you can see it from the start, they have that little bit of class. I really don't see that with any of them three, perhaps Suso may provwe me wrong but I know the toher two won't. It was the same with Pacheco, nowhere near good enough and never was.

The Football Association is to look into a number of incidents that occurred at Monday's Premier League Under-21 match between Liverpool and Manchester United, according to Press Association.

It reports that late in the second half of the Reds' 1-0 defeat a fan ran onto the pitch at St Helens' Langtree Park stadium and appeared to direct abuse at Liverpool striker Adam Morgan before tussling with stewards as he was led away.

It also says there were also two instances of flares being set off in the stands, with one being thrown onto the pitch.

Last night was the first time I've seen this year's reserves being tested - the online games have been a bit of a stroll for them. To be honest, and as you see a lot more live than watching with dodgy LFCtv camera work, I can't say I was impressed by the standard of player or by the team's tactics.

That's harsh really.

It's true they strolled almost untested through the initial group stage, mainly because they are a very good team, but just as it's got more difficult, so their injury problems have increased, at every level of the youth set up too, making it harder to mix and match from the various age related groups.

Being as there was a problem at centre half, I was wondering why Sokolic didn't play last night, another young lad who has looked talented prospect. It turns out he was injured too.

Last night's team was thrown together with people playing out of position all over the place, and although the inclusion of Shelvey, Suso, Sterling and Wisdom should have strengthened it, the awful form of two of them actually made it worse.

I'm assuming that was more or less the Mancs usual reserve team, which would explain why they looked so much more organised and "together" than our lads did.

And it STILL took them till the 93rd minute to find a way of beating us despite us going down to 10 men. After a dodgy 7 or 8 minutes or so after the sending off, I thought our lads then played better with 10 men than they did with 11.

Based on the many televised games I've seen the reserves play this season, I'd say that along with Spurs, they are a match for anyone and, a highly talented bunch when they can put out something like their strongest side.

Sadly, it looks like they won't be able to prove it now though.

Which is a shame.

A lot of them spawn in St Helens, apparently it was a mix of known and unknown faces in that stand according to a steward I was talking to.

If ' known' then they shouldn't be near a ground. Or maybe United's banning policy is more 'relaxed' than the rest of us have to comply to.

they must have made arrests?

If ' known' then they shouldn't be near a ground. Or maybe United's banning policy is more 'relaxed' than the rest of us have to comply to.

they must have made arrests?

Sorry, just to clarify, I meant that the stewards, who are all St Helens RFC employees, recognised some faces from Saints games but didn't others who had obviously travelled from further afield.

Knuckle dragging apes.

Sorry, just to clarify, I meant that the stewards, who are all St Helens RFC employees, recognised some faces from Saints games but didn't others who had obviously travelled from further afield.

Knuckle dragging apes.

I see so some of the little scrotes are rugby followers but attach themselves to Man United when it suits them.