You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Football Manager 2013

Chairman Meow

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wellinton Nem, Admeilson, Adryan and Romario all Brazilian, all wonderkids and all available for less than a Stewart Downing.

Costs about £10 mil for the lot, Romario is a bit hard to find at the start though, wait until your scouts find him.

Wellington Nem has scored nine in 12, with 7 assists!

I've not played this for a couple of years, but my little brother has challenged me to an online tournament and I'm just doing research for when we start.

I've got loads more cheap, and some free, wonderkids if you want them?

Costs about £10 mil for the lot, Romario is a bit hard to find at the start though, wait until your scouts find him.

Is Romario a right back playing for Vitoria? He's been quality for a few versions if so. Also not ignoring your pm from the other week, just been dead busy with work and keep forgetting to reply to it. I reckon late January or early February will be next time I am down your way.

Skiddy, a journeyman game will be commencing pretty soon once I've got some work I am doing at the moment finished.

• 2 weeks later...

Just started this myself.

Sold Downing to Fulham for 10ml(oh if it was this easy in real life).Doni off to udinesse for 1ml,Pacheco on loan with a view to £1.9ml move,Wisdom,Coady and a couple of others allowed to go for free with 50% of any future fee coming my way.

Wellington Nem in as with a value of 9ml and a fee of 3.5ml you can't go wrong.

Nearly sold Johnson to Spurs.

They made a enquiry and I said 7ml and Sandro,deal agreed for 4.5ml and Sandro but he wouldn't discuss a contract.

Alan Dzagoev coming in January on a free and John Guidetti in on loan from city with a view to a 6ml move.

Pissed off that Cavanni is up for sale at 30ml and ill only has a budget of 3.4ml.

Lorrente leaving on a free a d my scouts say he has no interest in joining.

Any players worth looking at?

I have around £10/12ml from sales.

Got through my first season on this - didn't really buy anyone the first season with a low budget, just a better backup keeper, managed to finish 6th which with the Mancs winning the League Cup was enough to qualify for Europe through the league and meet expectations and earned me a new contract.

Managed to nab Llorente on a Bosman, as well as signing Koke from Atletico once Sahin went back to Real, and Ricardo van Rhijn from Ajax as backup to Agger in the ball-playing defender role, Skrtel and Coates fighting over the other spot and Carra leaving.

Got a few unflushable turds though - naturally. Just managed to shift Downing to Swansea but only after he demanded money to move (the cheeky fucker), Wolves keep bidding for Carroll, I keep accepting, and he keeps declining the wages, while I literally can't give Cole away so looks like I'm stuck with his wages. Henderson though is doing surprisingly well, keeping Allen out the team for most of last year. Suarez aside my best performer out of my six "front three" players was Assaidi, surprisingly enough.

Once Carroll and Cole eventually go it should hopefully free up a bit more funds, but till then I've got what I've got. Still have about 6 mil to spend after the Downing sale with a month left to do so, although if I can't find anyone worthwhile I may invest in one or two U18s.

Will probably fire up an unemployed journeyman game too once I get a few seasons with Liverpool.

Just started this myself.

Sold Downing to Fulham for 10ml(oh if it was this easy in real life).Doni off to udinesse for 1ml,Pacheco on loan with a view to £1.9ml move,Wisdom,Coady and a couple of others allowed to go for free with 50% of any future fee coming my way.

Wellington Nem in as with a value of 9ml and a fee of 3.5ml you can't go wrong.

Nearly sold Johnson to Spurs.

They made a enquiry and I said 7ml and Sandro,deal agreed for 4.5ml and Sandro but he wouldn't discuss a contract.

Alan Dzagoev coming in January on a free and John Guidetti in on loan from city with a view to a 6ml move.

Pissed off that Cavanni is up for sale at 30ml and ill only has a budget of 3.4ml.

Lorrente leaving on a free a d my scouts say he has no interest in joining.

Any players worth looking at?

I have around £10/12ml from sales.

Isco can be got for around that, but I paid 1m down payment and the rest in instalments over 48 months, relatively small wages as well.

Turns in to a world beater quite quickly!

Dzagoev can be loaned out straight away, once you have him on loan offer him a permanent contract and he'll sign.

Not sure if it world in this edition but I used to drop the like of Cole/Carroll whoever won't leave and fine them wages for no reason and they would get the arse and leave.

Might give that a try, they're already rotting in the reserves (to be fair Carroll obviously spent most of my game at West Ham so hasn't technically been "rotting"), although neither has come to me and said "I'm don't appear to be in your first team plans"...then me "OK I'll let you go", as happened with Carra. Might try going full arsehole on them and see if that works. I do remember in FM2012 Carroll's departure came because he was late for training one day, I fined him right up the arse and he got a massive strop, and we agreed a mutual termination after that.

I'm finding it really buggy far too many early goals are scored between the 1st and 5th minute and its really sensitive to changes.

Anyone else getting the early goals thing?

I came here to say the same thing basically. I concede off every opposition attack. I'd say it isn't realistic because I'm Liverpool but well....

It's really frustrating losing every game 4-3. My defenders just don't mark.

I came here to say the same thing basically. I concede off every opposition attack. I'd say it isn't realistic because I'm Liverpool but well....

It's really frustrating losing every game 4-3. My defenders just don't mark.

A new update was released tonight mate

It's fixed something's but the early goal thing is still there I'm losing the plot over it,every other game a goal conceded within 2 minutes.

I remember 2009 (i think) being a disaster until the 3 patch came out loads of stupid stuff happened like players couldn't get on with each other.

Hopefully they sort it out.

There is hope still: Edge Of The Area

From Football Manager on the PC to Football Manager in real life…Almost.

You may have seen reported in The Sun or Metro that an unknown youngster has been named the new manager of Azerbaijani two-time Premier League champions Baku FC, based partly on his experience of playing the computer game Football Manager.

Who?

Vugar Guloglan oglu Huseynzade, a 21 year old Swede born in Azerbaijan is a former Business Management student at Boston University, and previously worked as a scout at sports consultancy Sport Business Nordic (SBN) in Stockholm, Sweden.

While it was reported that he had beaten off competition from former European Player of the Year Jean-Pierre Papin for the role, the Frenchman is expected to be given a role higher up the club’s heirarchy. That said, Swedish tabloid newspaper Aftonbladet reports that Huseynzade beat off competition from others with real-world management and professional coaching experience. He will also be working closely with Olivier Daccourt of Leeds, Everton and Roma fame, who will be joining as director of football.

From left: Olivier Dacourt, Vugar Huseinzade, Jean-Pierre Papin and an employee of FC Baku.

How?

He got his break as a result of bumping into the club’s vice-president at a hotel in Lithuania, and eventually left Stockholm for Baku to work as an adviser to the club in February. This month was promoted to manager of FC Baku’s A team (the club’s reserve team, despite claims in the British press that he was in charge of the first team), which is a post he will hold alongside that of ‘sports director’.

While Huseynzade made contacts in Russia, Ukraine and Azerbaijan during his time with SBN, his only experience with managing, coaching or playing at a football team is based in virtual reality.

“I’ve always wanted to work in football and have played Football Manager since 2002,” Huseynzade told the Scandinavian newspaper.

“I want to see the team qualify for at least the Europa League, which is where we want to be. There is all that is needed”.

His confidence is admirable, but with the team currently just above the relegation zone, it seems unlikely that his real world experience will be as smooth as that gained in-game. He has, however promised to use that favourite trick of all Football Manager players controlling smaller clubs – mining the cheap pool of Scandinavian talent.

“I can not say specifically, but we are in contact with a football agency and it’s about players who are known in the headlines”.

Can ’Football Manager’ get me a job?

Attempting to use Football Manager experience in applications to become a real-life football manager has become a long-standing joke since John Boileau’s famous letter to Middlesborough chairman Steve Gibson back in 2006.

The admirably good-humoured Gibson politely responded in writing, declining his application on the grounds that European clubs would soon try to steal him away based on his “undoubted talent”.

So far, no-one has been made manager of a professional football club based solely on Football Manager experience.

Yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Now I have my new machine up and running I've dived in and started off a journeyman game starting off unemployed as usual.

Took over at Guangdong Rizhiquan with 12 games of the 2012 season remaining and the club in touch near the top of the division. No transfer window so had to stick with the players already there.

Started off badly with a couple of draws and defeats before a decent run to the last day of the season where we drew meaning we missed out on promotion by 1 point finishing in 3rd.

In the 2013 season I made very little in the way of changes cleared some of the reserves deadwood and only brought in 9 players across the season.

We pretty much dominated start to finish with bar a little 5 game run of dodgy draws with a couple of defeats mid season. Finally finished up top by 16 points to be promoted to the Super League.

Near the start of the 2014 season now. I think it's going to be a very difficult year got given a budget of under £90k so only managed to bring in one player and arrange a deal to sign a Brazilian midfielder on a free, he's out of contract but can't sign until 3 months into the season.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

With things being a bit quieter as a result of the snow I've started a proper game this morning. Going to do Gladbach and see if I can get them back to being a European force again. Lack of work permit rules in Germany will probably assist.

First off I've done some staff rejigging.

Brought Pako in as Assistant Manager, Paul Winsper as Fitness Coach and Xavi Valero as an additional GK Coach. Other than that Ruben Sosa has joined as an attacking coach plus some randoms to improve our coaching all round/

I haven't touched the scouting staff as yet but I'll start once the season is up and running.

The B team is pretty shit, however as I want it running propery to blood any youngsters I've kept enought to fill a side to keep it ticking over until I start filling it with my own players. Although I've still been fairly brutal in the players let go, some released and the others offered out and sold for minimal fees but pretty much all of them including a 10% sell on in case they actually turn out decent elsewhere.

In the U'19s I've released everyone except Tim-Oliver Hiemer, Michel Lieder, Sinan Kurt and Kevin Holzweiler all of which I've promoted to the B Team.

So as we go into the season our squad is:

Goalkeepers

Marc-Andre ter Stegen

Christopher Heimeroth

Martin Kompalla (B Team)

Tim-Oliver Heimer (B Team)

I'll be looking to sell Heimeroth at the end of the season and promote which ever of the two B Team keepers established himself as first choice in the B Team. Unless the worst happens and someone comes in with a huge offer for ter Stegen then it's largely irrelevant bringing on keepers as he's 20 and pretty damn good so we pretty much have the goalkeeping situation covered for the best part of the next 15 years or so potentially. I may look for some potentially good young keepers in a couple of seasons or so but for now I'm just going to do mt best to hold onto him.

Right Backs

Tony Jantschke

Matthias Zimmerman

Romario (Due to Join in January)

Leonel Kadiata (B Team)

Planning on keeping Jantschke till at least the end of this season as Romario is out with cruciate damage so I'll be looking to get him back to fitness in the B Team till the end of the season and then possibly even leaving him there next season as well. If I do that I'll try to keep Jantschke for the two seasons before promoting Zimmerman. When Romario signs I'll be trying to offload Kadiata as look nothing special but I need the body there in the B Team till Romario arrives.

Centre Halfs

Martin Stranzl

Alvaro Dominguez

John Mensah

Jurico Buljat

Stefan Bell

Bernhard Janacek (B Team)

Niklas Dams (B Team)

Oliver Stang (B Team)

Michel Lieder (B Team)

Brough Mensah and Buljat in on frees, neither is shit hot but neither is particularly poor. They should do a job covering for Stranzl and Dominguez well enough. Bell is a long term signing at 20, he was signed for 2.1m over 3 years after some severe tapping up in the press and his club refusing offers made him chuck in a transfer request. Stranzl retires at the end of the season so I'll be looking to probably sell one or both of Mensah/Buljat at the end of the season and buying a first choice replacement for him with the wages saved as Stranzl is on big money by club standards. Of the B Team players I reckon only Lieder has long term prospects, the others are just bodies for now until I can get some youth in to replace them.

Left Backs

Oscar Wendt

Denner

Denner is an 18 year old signed from Corinthians for £1.1m who will be cover only for Wendt. I always train all of my full backs to also play on the other side so once Zimmerman has adapted I may drop Denner back to the B Team if he's ending up not getting games. Currently I'm still trying to either get an experienced cover or another decent youngster so we at least have a 3rd option but no one is biting as yet and Southampton in particular are asking daft money for Luke Shaw so it may not happen. I'l give Wendt a couple of seasons then try selling him before he hits 30, if Denner still isn't fully ready by then I'll look to replace Wendt until Denner is ready. Assuming I don't bring through another full back by then who is ready.

Right Wingers

Patrick Hermann

Branimir Hrgota

Amin Younes (B Team)

Matthew Leckie (on loan at FSV Frankfurt)

Hermann is quality but maybe lacks a bit of end product, only young so a long way to go. Hrgota is left footed and looks decent but has been hit and miss all through pre season, he looks like he should be good but I'm unconvinced. Younes and Leckie are both a bit rough and I'll be looking to sell once I bring my own youngsters in.

Defensive Midfielders

Havard Nordveit

Moussa Narry

Not much to say really, both reasonable all rounders, both nothing exciting. Signed Narry on a free mainly so I can give Nordtveit a break if his form dips.

Central Midfielders

Granit Xhaka

Tolga Cigerci (on loan from Wolfsburg)

Alexander Ring (on loan from HJK)

Julian Korb (on loan to Stuttgart Kickers)

Xhaka will be first choice, Korb was already out on loan and will be sold asap. Cigerci and Ring have been kept on loan mainly because they are both cheap on wages so it's worth it if only for some more depth. Ring is definitely not being kept, I'm torn on Cigerci as he looks like he could turn out good and the coaches all things he's brilliant.

Attacking Midfielders

Lukas Rupp (on loan to Liepzig)

Adryan (B Team)

Leandro Paredes (B Team)

Kevin Holzweiler (B Team)

Sinan Kurt (B Team)

Nothing much to say really, Rupp will be sold when I get the opportunity, Paredes and Adryan are both South American with huge potential. Holzweiler and Kurt look like they will be lacking long term but the coaches all seem to think they will improve a lot so I'm going to see how it goes over the next couple of seasons with them.

Left Wingers

Wellington Nem

Royston Drenthe

Maik Odenthal (B Team)

Ridvan Balci (B Team)

Probably our weakest position, I can't get any ready made wingers to sign so we'll be using Wellington Nem out of position intially with Drenthe as cover, Drenthe was a bit of a panic signing with not being able to find anyone, he's a knobhead but was on a free so worst case I'll get a few quid back if it doesn't work out. Odenthal is borderline but with potential, Balci looks decent potentially but the coaches think otherwise so I'll have to wait and see. Worst case scenario if we end up short is Hermann switches to the left and cuts inside or we play Luan out there instead of up top as he isn't natural but can cover out wide.

Strikers/Forwards

Luuk de Jong

Ademilson

Emile Mpenza

Luan

Carlos Munoz

Elia Kachunhga (on loan at Hertha)

Peniel Mlapa (B Team)

Mauricio Alves (B Team)

Giuseppe Pisano (B Team)

Mario Hesse (B Team)

Signed Mpenza on a free, good finishing and composure and still should be a bit of a threat at 34. Plan is to go with Luuk de Jong and Carlos Munoz as first choice initially but hopefully with Luan, Ademilson and Mpenza as cover if one is struggling we should be able to drop them out of the firing line (potentially even into the B Team) until their morale picks up again. Ideally if a player doesn't score for two games on the trot I want them out before the whole x number of minutes without scoring syndrome kicks in. Of the B Team lads I'm not entirely sure of any of them. I signed Mauricio Alves as he came up in the searches that provided Carlos Munoz, he was on a free and look skillful but the scouts didn't agree with me so maybe he won't progress. Mlapa, Kachunga and Pisano will be gone as soon as I can sell, Mlapa can't go as he's injured, Pisano won't because he's just signed for the club again and Kachunga is a bit shit. All of the coaches and Pako all seem to think Hesse will turn out brilliantly. He's 19 and looks pretty shit to me, but I'm going to give him a chance in the hope of being proved wrong.

Wellinton Nem, Admeilson, Adryan and Romario all Brazilian, all wonderkids and all available for less than a Stewart Downing.

Wellington Nem has scored nine in 12, with 7 assists!

I've not played this for a couple of years, but my little brother has challenged me to an online tournament and I'm just doing research for when we start.

I've got loads more cheap, and some free, wonderkids if you want them?

Can't stand this game. I loved FM up to 11 but it went shit after that.

Well, I know what you mean. I was really excited about starting a game with my little brother, neither had played since fm09 and both of us were up for a count your trophies ten season competition with pride at stake...we lasted ten games into the first season and jibbed it of, dull once you know which players to sign.