You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Squad numbers

RedinSweden

I have a bit of a "thing" for squad numbers, so you can imagine my frustration that Benteke hasn't got one yet (I also think that the fact that a week after signing fans can't buy Benteke shirts in the shop is a fucking joke).

I am one of those sad types who actually spends time issuing squad numbers in Football Manager. In this instance I would have given him the 9 and given Lambert another number. It's obvious Lambert won't feature much for us, and will probably be sold, so it's a no-brainer.

Anyone know of a reason why Benteke hasn't got a number yet?

• Upvote 2

I'm assuming it's because Lambert might stick around, or at least we'd like to give that impression. We're at that stage of the window where we're trying to pretend we don't mind keeping certain players, otherwise we'll just get bombarded with loan offers.

"Yes, Balotelli might still have a future here"

I have a bit of a "thing" for squad numbers, so you can imagine my frustration that Benteke hasn't got one yet (I also think that the fact that a week after signing fans can't buy Benteke shirts in the shop is a fucking joke).

I am one of those sad types who actually spends time issuing squad numbers in Football Manager. In this instance I would have given him the 9 and given Lambert another number. It's obvious Lambert won't feature much for us, and will probably be sold, so it's a no-brainer.

Anyone know of a reason why Benteke hasn't got a number yet?

Nobody is bigger than the club.

• Upvote 2

I'm assuming it's because Lambert might stick around, or at least we'd like to give that impression. We're at that stage of the window where we're trying to pretend we don't mind keeping certain players, otherwise we'll just get bombarded with loan offers.

"Yes, Balotelli might still have a future here"

I would imagine it's more we're waiting for Lambert to move to West Brom and then we'll give Benteke no.9.

I was hoping this would be the summer we'd sort out the mess that is our squad numbering. I don't care if numbers are sentimental, no first teamer should be wearing 37, 45, 50 etc. It's just wrong. As is not having a first choice goalkeeper who wears number 1. It actually annoys me and I can understand someone spending the time assigning logical numbers to players in FM.

The higher numbers should be given to young players but once they've established themselves in the squad they should be offered something closer to 1-11. Flanagan should be on lower than 38 now, Sterling should have been lower than 31 this season had he stayed but I bet he'd have been stuck on 31 for ever.

It winds me up seeing players at other clubs wearing shit numbers too. Strikers wearing numbers for left backs (Asamoah Gyan I'm looking at you), defenders wearing number 10 (William Gallas) and players like Yaya Toure wearing 42. Just wrong. All wrong. It used to even make me annoyed that Carra wore 23 for so long.

I hope Benteke is just holding out for number 9. If he ends up wearing number 39 or something ridiculous I'll, I dunno, shake my head and tut or something.

• Upvote 8

Small modicum of respect for Lambert, presumably.

Thought we often did it when someone was on their way out.

If Ricky was staying, he'd probably have been asked to give it up by now. If Benteke really wanted it, anyway, which many of them don't seem to nowadays.

I was hoping this would be the summer we'd sort out the mess that is our squad numbering. I don't care if numbers are sentimental, no first teamer should be wearing 37, 45, 50 etc. It's just wrong. As is not having a first choice goalkeeper who wears number 1. It actually annoys me and I can understand someone spending the time assigning logical numbers to players in FM.

The higher numbers should be given to young players but once they've established themselves in the squad they should be offered something closer to 1-11. Flanagan should be on lower than 38 now, Sterling should have been lower than 31 this season had he stayed but I bet he'd have been stuck on 31 for ever.

It winds me up seeing players at other clubs wearing shit numbers too. Strikers wearing numbers for left backs (Asamoah Gyan I'm looking at you), defenders wearing number 10 (William Gallas) and players like Yaya Toure wearing 42. Just wrong. All wrong. It used to even make me annoyed that Carra wore 23 for so long.

I hope Benteke is just holding out for number 9. If he ends up wearing number 39 or something ridiculous I'll, I dunno, shake my head and tut or something.

I wish I could like this many times over. That Gallas thing made me go mental.

Has Christian Benteke hinted at his new Liverpool squad number?

A reddit user has noted that Liverpool’s huge summer signing has changed his Instagram handle to @ChristianBenteke25 – and has predicted that it means the Belgian powerhouse will don the 25 this year.

The traditional striker’s numbers – 9 and 10 – are currently occupied by Rickie Lambert and Coutinho respectively – and Benteke’s fellow transfer window arrival Roberto Firmino took the vacant no.11.

However, with Rickie Lambert almost certain to leave, with the club allowing him to speak to any potential suitors, the no.9 could become available before the start of the season. 

It would be fitting for our marquee striker signing to get the iconic no.9 previously worn by Ian Rush, Robbie Fowler and Fernando Torres – although it hasn’t always symbolised goals for Liverpool.

El Hadji Diouf, Iago Aspas and Lambert and Andy Carroll have all had the no.9 in the Premier League – but whatever shirt Benteke ends up with – we’re backing him to score goals!

In fact – between 1 and 30, only the no.1, no.5, no.8, no.13, no.16 and no.25 are available – and considering the 24-year-old wore the no.25 during his spell at Genk, fans are assuming the no.25 is Benteke’s.

----

Given he's likely to feature against Helsinki and Lambert will probably still be here at the weekend he will maybe line up wearing a temporary number. 

I'm sure his favourite number, and Twitter handle is proving tricky to wrestle from its current owner.

Nailed on meeting on otterspool prom with Adam Lallana with the winner taking the number 20 and a KFC the loser picks up the tab for.

This....all day long. Spot on - grinds my gears too.

• Upvote 1

We need to change the name and number font we use for cup games. We've been using the same one since the dark days of the owl and it looks shit. They might as well change it every season since they change the kits anyway.

I am with you on that.