You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boris Johnson

Section_31

3 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

Apparently the 1922 committee have let it be known they will accept e mails of no confidence as well as letters. Sunak has conveniently gone to California for a few days, it’s all looking ominous 

Apparently not just California, he's back today I believe, after that by election result I'll guess he's going to have to turn the compensation taps back on.

From the Guardian blog. Maybe a few pictures of him partying will be released then we can get on with the new leadership contest?

Veteran Tory MP Sir Roger Gale said the Tories’ North Shropshire by-election defeat should be seen as a “referendum” on Boris Johnson’s premiership, adding “one more strike and he’s out”.

Asked why the Tories lost, the North Thanet MP told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme said Johnson must take personal blame:

"Because the electorate wanted to send a very clear message to Downing Street that they were dissatisfied with the management of this government.

I think this has to be seen as a referendum on the prime minister’s performance and I think that the prime minister is now in ‘last orders’ time.

Two strikes already, one earlier this week in the vote in the Commons and now this. One more strike and he’s out."

'One more strike and he's out', says veteran Tory MP

34 minutes ago, Brownie said:

It’s just a protest vote; once they replace BJ it will go back to being Tory.

Yeah, history tells us this is very bad news for Johnson but the Tories will be fine. The Eastbourne by-election in 1990 saw a 20% swing to the Lib Dems despite the fact that the vacancy arose, not because the previous MP was as corrupt as fuck, but because he had been murdered by the IRA. Within a couple of weeks, Thatcher was gone. Within a couple of years, the Tories were back in.

11 hours ago, Section_31 said:

And wait for this all to blow over 

FGwTXj5WYAA-5O1.jpeg

375 votes out of 38.000.. before this by-election they received an extra 5million investment by a former tory donor, taking their donations up to a staggering £10 million. Just a pair of grifters sweeping up media and rich idiots donation money.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

375 votes out of 38.000.. before this by-election they received an extra 5million investment by a former tory donor, taking their donations up to a staggering £10 million. Just a pair of grifters sweeping up media and rich idiots donation money.

He looks like a total cunt. 

1 hour ago, deiseach said:

Yeah, history tells us this is very bad news for Johnson but the Tories will be fine. The Eastbourne by-election in 1990 saw a 20% swing to the Lib Dems despite the fact that the vacancy arose, not because the previous MP was as corrupt as fuck, but because he had been murdered by the IRA. Within a couple of weeks, Thatcher was gone. Within a couple of years, the Tories were back in.

It's a bit left field but if bringing back the IRA gets rid of the cunt then I'm all for it.

*dons bally*

Shit jokes aside, I still don't think they will bin him while he can still be the whipping boy. He's dying the death of a thousand cuts for them. Covid is keeping the cunt in post right now. None of the other candidates will want to step in while the country is so divided. Except Truss, she'd jump into the seat faster than she rams her 12 inch gavel up her snatch the fucking dog. 

I agree with Brownie in that it'll probably migrate back to the Tories, but I saw a stat yesterday that something like 15% of their vote don't know who else to vote for. 

I think the two big problems in 'the west' now are that the main parties for, whatever reason, don't really capture most people's views, also, most people aren't political either.

I'd say a huge amount of people who vote Labour or Tory do it purely out of habit and because they consider them the 'best fit', rather than being fiercely passionate about what that party stands for.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, deiseach said:

And then the Tories lost it to the Lib Dems in 2010, won it back in 2015, lost it again in 2017, won it back in 2019. So what was a safe Conservative seat with a majority of 26,000 in Eastbourne is now a marginal which changes hands frequently.

Just to add your missing context.

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

And then the Tories lost it to the Lib Dems in 2010, won it back in 2015, lost it again in 2017, won it back in 2019. So what was a safe Conservative seat with a majority of 26,000 in Eastbourne is now a marginal which changes hands frequently.

Just to add your missing context.

Unsolicited.