You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sugar Ape

When you see Chuka Umunna tipped as the next big thing to represent the 'left' of the Labour Party you know you're completely fucked.

I quite like this guy.

He has something about him and talks well. I think he'll go far

He had his moment when Obama was seen as quite exciting, now being young and black and the next Obama isn't quite as jazzy. That's just how we work.

It was him who edited his own Wikipedia article to describe himself as the British Obama. And now he complains that he hates the comparison. It's a bit Keith Hunt on Alan Partridge.

• Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Left of Blair isn't left.

I say this with all respect mate, but I genuinely know the difference between left and right wing politics. I might be a spas on every other subject in the world but the term 'left leaning' was invented for people like him.

I'd actually vote and campaign for the guy but he's definitely not what I want from a Labour leader.

Nor I.

I say this with all respect mate, but I genuinely know the difference between left and right wing politics. I might be a spas on every other subject in the world but the term 'left leaning' was invented for people like him.

Nor I.

'Left leaning' is invented for Umunna?

Ok.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Damn, I tried to answer the question but you beat me to it. I would have answered 'no', but I was just too late. Drat.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Still on TV a fair bit about the NHS. Got to agree, I've really grown to like Burnham. Knows the deal with the health service.

Gimp-gate row referred to police over possible election law breach

POLICE are to investigate a Labour Party activist who accused a political rival of keeping a sex slave in his cellar.

West Derby Labour member Stephen Poulson levelled abuse at city Liberal group leader Cllr Steve Radford in the run up to last week's local elections.

Now Liverpool council chiefs have referred the matter to police to investigate as a possible breach of election laws.

It is illegal to publish false or malicious statements about election candidates in a bid to influence the outcome of the vote.

Cllr Radford, Liverpool's first openly gay councillor, said: “There have been a lot of virulent comments made about me online and I have been flagging these up.

“Some were without doubt sexual innuendo as well as being homophobic – something needs to be done about this.

“That's why I have written to Ged Fitzgerald (Liverpool council chief executive) a number of times about this.”

The ECHO previously reported how Mr Poulson had accused Cllr Radford of: giving funding to the Scouts for sexual reasons, keeping a “gimp” in his cellar and “ripping off” St John's church in Tuebrook over the hire of a church hall.

One of Mr Poulson's online comments, referring to an event attended by Cllr Radford, said: “Cllr Radford and his candidate (the gimp from the cellar) came dressed as tramps and ate all our butties like they had been living in the bus stop.”

Following Cllr Radford's complaints, Liverpool council chiefs decided to refer the matter to Merseyside police.

A Town Hall spokesman said: said: “We can confirm that this matter has been referred to the police to investigate a possible breach of electoral law.”

Following the revelations, the Labour Party condemned Mr Poulson's actions, describing his comments about Cllr Radford as “derogatory, spiteful and frankly vile”.

Dr Phil Rowe, chairman of West Derby Labour Party, said the remarks were “abusive and defamatory”, before adding: “An investigation has been initiated and disciplinary proceedings have been commenced by the regional party.”

Mr Poulson was forced to publish a retraction on his Tuebrook Uncovered blog and admit his claims about Cllr Radford were untrue.

A police spokesman said: “Merseyside police can confirm it is aware of a report concerning a possible breach of electoral legislation.

“Officers are now investigating the full circumstances surrounding the incident.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/gimp-gate-row-referred-police-over-7200298

I'd like to see him take Milibands job.

He certainly has designs on it. Most of the time you see an anonymous Shadow Cabinet source sticking the knife into Miliband, it's generally considered to be Burnham's handiwork. Presumably Ed thinks it's better to keep him inside the tent? Ed recently vetoed Burnham's plan to transfer £60bn of NHS money to local councils too.

I am surprised Burnham wasn't buried by the Mid-Staffs NHS scandal.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Because he presided over it?

He wasn't health secretary until 2009, and he ordered further investigations into it - it being what went on years and years before he got in to office - within weeks of being through the door, and then was no longer health secretary in less than a year. I think it would take a special type of campaign to pin it on him.

I'd like to see him (Burnham) take Milibands job.

For me he is a bit of a mixed bag. He is another Oxbridge educated career politician. He has experience at the Treasury and Health, but I am not sure what his philosophy is. On family and internet controls he is quite conservative. His readiness to join the "Brown Boot Boys" did him no favours in the PLP in which he came bottom in the polls.

He is an Evertonian, which counts against, and for me, came to the Hillsborough cause a little late.

What is striking is how little talent there is on the Shadow benches at the moment.

For me he is a bit of a mixed bag. He is another Oxbridge educated career politician. He has experience at the Treasury and Health, but I am not sure what his philosophy is. On family and internet controls he is quite conservative. His readiness to join the "Brown Boot Boys" did him no favours in the PLP in which he came bottom in the polls.

He is an Evertonian, which counts against, and for me, came to the Hillsborough cause a little late.

What is striking is how little talent there is on the Shadow benches at the moment.

He doesn't come across as a dithering soft cunt, which will appeal to millions.

Talent??

What are you speaking of now?

Do you expect to see some people juggling and some singing some doing and some recounting advance calculations on the fly during pmq's?

Lament the old days of MP's juggling ten items whilst riding a unicycle during a debate about the NHS are long gone, these days they barely juggle two objects and certainly dont use unicycles. 

Im aware of your difficulties with concentration and learning anything about anything but I still feel the need to point out to you it isnt britains got talent, despite the millions of idiots like you regurgitating phrases youve heard in the media. Try and think about the words you use and first decide what message you wish to advance when you write, writing meaningless phrases like that is ok if you are working for the mainstream media and trying to promote the causes of the rich and the distraction of the poor, but on the GF that bullshit it will get cut through cos cunts like me get the right of reply and then you wanna be able to control the words that u say.

• Upvote 1

Burnham seems quite raw to me for the top job, a bit rabbit in headlights. Allan Johnson was probably the man.

Or maybe none of them?

Cos if any of them men but for them being members of the labour party then they'd be as anonymouse as *their policies. 

*Their advisors, rich benefactor backers or corporate partners/thinktanks/fictionally created media bandwagon myth creators in the cause of advancing power against the poor in the name of the poor.

• Upvote 1