You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

No risk & a proven winner Rafa Benitez

ronnie38

I have absolutely no intention of educating you in what the club is all about. If you don't know, then that's too bad, but not surprising.

I will give you a pointer though. You could do worse than start by examining the respective behaviours of Kenny and Rafa during their tenures.

Give me a fucking break.

Did Rafa fuck your wife or something ?

You might not agree with some decisions he made while being manager at Liverpool. I certainly disagreed with plenty. But fuck, would you have liked him to sit back and let the former owners fuck him, the club and it's fans right up the arse ? Because that's what they did, and without him and his actions things would most likely have been much worse, we might very well have been bankrupt right now. He was a huge reason the fans stood up against cancer and aids, and eventually that is what lead to a new ownership, and whatever you have got to say about the current owners the crippling debt is gone and our finances are better than what they have been for a long, long time. Im certainly not saying Rafa is the reason for that, but he played his part. And he is the best manager we have had for 20 years and that is the bottom line.

That is some mega lurking mate join date 2002 posts 20 your the quiet type I guess.

I only post on days when we change managers :whistle:

As has been said 2005-2007 was a golden period for Liverpool fans everywhere and that was down to Rafa.

The thing I liked most about Rafa was that first of all he made us hard to beat. You got the impression that he spent a lot of time planning for each game and set the side up to win that particular game. The times he picked sides for away matches in Europe with Pongolle up front and you wondered if he was mad but time and again he got it right.

As a season ticket holder my priority is going home with 3 points. Playing attractive football is the icing on the top of the cake.

This is really tedious. I don't want him back. You do. Great. Trying to convince me I'm wrong by using an at best partially informed argument about the ownership situation ain't going to cut it, neither will any of the other one-eyed and/or ignorant missives on this thread.

I don't hate him, I just don't like him, and I don't believe he would be good for the club. You can disagree with me, but there's no need to bring any of my wives into it.

Give me a fucking break.

Did Rafa fuck your wife or something ?

You might not agree with some decisions he made while being manager at Liverpool. I certainly disagreed with plenty. But fuck, would you have liked him to sit back and let the former owners fuck him, the club and it's fans right up the arse ? Because that's what they did, and without him and his actions things would most likely have been much worse, we might very well have been bankrupt right now. He was a huge reason the fans stood up against cancer and aids, and eventually that is what lead to a new ownership, and whatever you have got to say about the current owners the crippling debt is gone and our finances are better than what they have been for a long, long time. Im certainly not saying Rafa is the reason for that, but he played his part. And he is the best manager we have had for 20 years and that is the bottom line.

Plenty of people on here are on record saying as much.

This is really tedious. I don't want him back. You do. Great. Trying to convince me I'm wrong by using an at best partially informed argument about the ownership situation ain't going to cut it, neither will any of the other one-eyed and/or ignorant missives on this thread.

I don't hate him, I just don't like him, and I don't believe he would be good for the club. You can disagree with me, but there's no need to bring any of my wives into it.

I have the complete opposite opinion regarding Benitez but this is the truth.

There is no point discussing it.

If he is reappointed though, I'd hope every fan gets behind him. (He won't get reappointed.)

Yeah, sorry if any offense were taken.

I just dont understand why you dont like him. He is incredibly pragmatic and i've got my reservations about that too. Though i think that's one of the aspects which makes him good and right for the job. And from what i understand he's very well liked and respected amongst the HFSG and the HJC, and the vast majority of our supporters really like(d) him. And he did bring success to the club. Your dislike towards him seems personal and not founded in what he's done in his role as manager of the club.

I'm torn over Rafa. Part of me says 'yes' - loves the club, great tactician etc.., but then I also remember the zonal marking, bizarre substitutions and his poor man-management skills. Better option than Martinez? Probably. Right man for the job? probably not.

Zonal marking? For me that was a success - look at how many clean sheets we had. It was just the media that took against it and used it as a weapon to beat Rafa with.

Apparently neither Martinez or Benitez are in the frame.

Thank fuck for that. I'd like to see Klopp get it.

Never understood the Martinez worship. Not sure why his record makes him a contender for any top job myself but his name seems to crop up all the time.

Apparently neither Martinez or Benitez are in the frame.

The fuckwit who tweeted that, him having anything to do with anything sums up the utter mess that is Liverpool Football Club.

Oh and also 'fans' like yourself should fuck off as well.

The fuckwit who tweeted that, him having anything to do with anything sums up the utter mess that is Liverpool Football Club.

Oh and also 'fans' like yourself should fuck off as well.

Be quiet. 'Fans' like me have been supporting the team for decades. You know, like actually going to the match.

Zonal marking? For me that was a success - look at how many clean sheets we had. It was just the media that took against it and used it as a weapon to beat Rafa with.

Dunno what the stats are, but I remember we seemed to concede frequently from corners when we used that system. Certainly more than we did under Kenny. Maybe I'm wrong? Any geeky stat freaks out there?

Be quiet. 'Fans' like me have been supporting the team for decades. You know, like actually going to the match.

Went to me first game about 84 with me dad when lived in bootle, live in huyton now with 2 kids so can't go all the time because of cost and me girl has had to let someone else use her season ticket because of same reason.

Don't question my support, why can't you just admit the original decision to get rid of Benitez unless something better was lined up was wrong.

Went to me first game about 84 with me dad when lived in bootle, live in huyton now with 2 kids so can't go all the time because of cost and me girl has had to let someone else use her season ticket because of same reason.

Don't question my support, why can't you just admit the original decision to get rid of Benitez unless something better was lined up was wrong.

Moving him on was the correct decision, it was the replacement which was incorrect.

Bringing in Hodgson was a mistake. I thought it could work. It didn't. Benitez was dragging the club through the floor at the time, agitating to leave, causing ructions in the dressing room, the team was underprepared, , players were demotivated, performances were shit . He was doing his best to get sacked, he had something else lined up. The club was in a mess. No new owners, and no chance of any money for new players. We were never going to get a top class manager in those circumstances. Whoever was going to come in would be out the door as soon as any new owners got their feet under the table. What was clear was that Benitez had to go. He was as big a liability as the owners at that point. If he'd had been there at the beginning of the new season, christ knows what the squad would have looked like, and christ knows where we would have been in the league. Broughton felt he had to go in order to make the sale of the club easier - he knew the whole thing was untenable.

So while Hodgson was a disaster, there is no guarantee that it wouldn't have been worse under Benitez. There's tons of other context too, but there's no point in bringing it up - this argument is tedious, because you and the people like you are not going to accept any of that, and equally I am not likely to be swayed by your version of events either.

Just a quick update on the betting for the new manager.

Most of the big firms have closed there book on who is to be the new manager,Ladbrokes.Corals,hills and paddy power among them.

Of the sites that are still taking bets they all have VBS as favourite and out of them sites the best odds you can still get on him is with BET365 who have him at 9/4 the rest are roughly 2/1 on him.

Martinez is still second favourite but his odds arnt that far behind VBS to be honest again BET 365 offer the best odds on him at 7/2 the rest are around 5/2 about him.

Rodgers and Benitez are roughly similar odds with surprisingly BET365 being the lowest with Rodgers at 6/1 with stan james offering 7/1 and BET365 odds of 8/1 on Benitez were as stan james as low as 5/1 on him.

Without doubt the best backed today has been VBS but Martinez has roughly stayed at his same price all day.

Benitez has been the biggest drifter of the day going out from roughly 11/4 to between 5/1 and 8/1.

Apparently done more for the club than Benitez as well ;) . Sycophantic prick.

I'm not really. I just have more respect for someone who actually gets off his arse to do stuff that makes a difference than I have for someone who comes on here shouting the odds.