You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Newcastle have proven absolutely nothing yet.

Exactly! I work with a Geordie who seems to think that a club that hasn't won a trophy in colour, can claim some sort of success over finishing 5th!

They have been excellent, but have done nothing more than countless other teams have done in the past 10 years. Ba has hardly scored since New Year, and I doubt teams will be leaving Cisse alone next year.

Only recently Tom!

And for one season, Everton finished 4th once, Ipswich came close as well. Lucas, Agger, Bellamy also prove we can do it.

For sure, Whelan.

It was a poor example really as they will probably prove to be a flash in the pan as others have done without considerable backing. Saying that, they have made one or two shrewd buys which have improved them markedly while emphasising our own poor ones. I guess that was more my point. Albeit clumsily made!

For sure, Whelan.

It was a poor example really as they will probably prove to be a flash in the pan as others have done without considerable backing. Saying that, they have made one or two shrewd buys which have improved them markedly while emphasising our own poor ones. I guess that was more my point. Albeit clumsily made!

I think the focus on Newcastle is obvious when you consider we gave them £35m for their striker!

Even Wenger (who I think is the best in the market) has had quite a few duds in the past few years. I think 3 out of 5 is good (which still leaves us with 1 out of 5).

The stadium write-off is scandalous, with another £10m provided for. Epic swindle indeed.

Overall, it is true to say that these figures are not too bad, with income holding up remarkably well. The effect of lost European income has yet to really bite, and the excellent deal that Ayre struck with Warrior will go a long way to softening the blow of dwindling on field performance. But it is a deal that will not be repeated unless we restore our Euro credentials.

Guest TK-421
If we win the FA Cup, it won't be because spend loads of money on Carroll, Henderson and Downing. We should have spent it on better players, and that would have yielded better results. Simple really.

Yes it will. Andy Carroll scored a winning goal to take us to the final. Stewart downing scored a winning goal against Stoke. If we win all three players will have contributed to a double cup success and will have winners' medals. Simple really.

The stadium write-off is scandalous, with another £10m provided for. Epic swindle indeed.

Overall, it is true to say that these figures are not too bad, with income holding up remarkably well. The effect of lost European income has yet to really bite, and the excellent deal that Ayre struck with Warrior will go a long way to softening the blow of dwindling on field performance. But it is a deal that will not be repeated unless we restore our Euro credentials.

Have you seen them first hand?

accounts should be out tomorrow for people to read - then i would expect some more objective analysis than that provided by Ayre - i.e. how did we lose £50m when even taking out the £35m stadium writeoff we made still a £40m profit on Torres.

accounts should be out tomorrow for people to read - then i would expect some more objective analysis than that provided by Ayre - i.e. how did we lose £50m when even taking out the £35m stadium writeoff we made still a £40m profit on Torres.

1 - When you 'write off' something, it's written off against profits, therefore has the effect of reducing them. As well as the HKS stadium stuff, we also paid off a lot of players and staff the remainder (or at least the bulk of the remainder) of their contracts to leave. As long as we don't repeat that every year, those were basically one-off costs and are counted as 'write offs' too.

2 - We bought Torres for £10m? Now that would have been the deal of the century at that price!

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Yes it will. Andy Carroll scored a winning goal to take us to the final. Stewart downing scored a winning goal against Stoke. If we win all three players will have contributed to a double cup success and will have winners' medals. Simple really.

Good value then?

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Okay. Say we paid one billion dollars, would they have been good value if we win the FA Cup? I'm just asking because this is the worst team of players I've ever seen playing for our club, and it's probably the most expensively assembled, so it seems a bit daft that they'd be good 'value'. It also seems a bit daft that you'd deem them good value or not based on the result of one game.

Guest ShoePiss
Okay. Say we paid one billion dollars, would they have been good value if we win the FA Cup? I'm just asking because this is the worst team of players I've ever seen playing for our club, and it's probably the most expensively assembled, so it seems a bit daft that they'd be good 'value'. It also seems a bit daft that you'd deem them good value or not based on the result of one game.

This is boring.

Have you seen them first hand?

Not yet - just reacting to the Echo "highlights" tonight.

When they are puplished in (summarised) full I will be able to give a more detailed analysis.

I understand that beyond the press release form which the Echo story is culled there is not much more of interest, but until i have seen them there isn't much more to say.

Guest TK-421

Based on one game? That's just me speaking as a fan. I'd see two trophies as an excellent and instant return on the fees paid, as a fan. As I say, though, it depends on whether you dig cup finals and trophies.

As Major Tom pointed out their true value won't be known for some time from a purely commercial point of view.

We spent £41m.

Guest The Big Green Bastard

Nearly 50m on design plans and legal shit? did they clone Leonardo Da Vinci for the architecture and hire OJ's lawyer for the paperwork?

Based on one game? That's just me speaking as a fan. I'd see two trophies as an excellent and instant return on the fees paid, as a fan. As I say, though, it depends on whether you dig cup finals and trophies.As Major Tom pointed out their true value won't be known for some time from a purely commercial point of view.

Since GED we have been relatively starved of domestic cup success.

I agree that as fans, winning a domestic cup is sporting success - and a great day out for the fans.

Financially the league at £800,000 a position is where it is at, £100k prize money for the League Cup barely pays Kennys wages for he week, £1.9m FA Cup winners prize money is less than three league positions.

Our season remains on the cusp. Double glory versus relieving Birmingham City of their trophy.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
We spent £41m.

No we didn't. The amount we spent isn't changed by how much we earn. Your beans in Waitrose don't cost -£2600 quid because you're employer paid you.

We need to make every penny count, considering we're trying to catch up and overtake teams capable of splashing out huge amounts. We've not done that. It's bad business practice, it's bad for the club and it's bad for fans.

Guest ShoePiss
Since GED we have been relatively starved of domestic cup success.

I agree that as fans, winning a domestic cup is sporting success - and a great day out for the fans.

Financially the league at £800,000 a position is where it is at, £100k prize money for the League Cup barely pays Kennys wages for he week, £1.9m FA Cup winners prize money is less than three league positions.

Our season remains on the cusp. Double glory versus relieving Birmingham City of their trophy.

I wonder how much extra revenue is gained from winning competitions, merch tat, extra ad revenue, increased fan interest etc. You don't gain any of that from finishing 5th rather than 8th.

No we didn't. The amount we spent isn't changed by how much we earn. Your beans in Waitrose don't cost -£2600 quid because you're employer paid you.

We need to make every penny count, considering we're trying to catch up and overtake teams capable of splashing out huge amounts. We've not done that. It's bad business practice, it's bad for the club and it's bad for fans.

I have no money. On monday, my mum gave me £10 pounds to go to waitrose. I bought £10 worth of goods. On Tuesday, I returned those goods and bought another £10 pounds worth. According to you, I have spent £20 pounds. How is this possible?