You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Comolli

Ted

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess we can't attribute the League Cup success to Kenny either then.

Dennis, who should we praise if we win the FA Cup?

we only just won the carling cup. we need to win games and score more goals til the end of the season, losing against everton is unthinkable

That Werner statement definitely isn't very comforting.

americans to back the club and invest more, most of the money we recouped with the sale of babel meireles torres, and the loan departures of cole aqualani, so they have not realy spent a large amount

Following the announcement that Damien Comolli has left the club, Liverpoolfc.tv spoke to the Reds chairman Tom Werner.

Tom, the news this morning that Damien Comolli is leaving the club will have come as a surprise to many fans. Can you explain why the decision was taken?

I think it's fair to say no supporter would be delighted with the results we've achieved this year. We feel we are a club that needs to be perceived as the strongest club in football and we want to get there. Frankly, we make these decisions with a great deal of care because it's our track record in Boston to give people authority and we've had great success with our manager, who was there for eight years, and our general manager, so we prefer stability. But when it's time to act, we need to act. We're coming close to the end of the season and the transfer window for the summer, and we felt it was important to make this change expeditiously.

In light of Damien's departure, do you still think there is a need for a director of football at this club?

We're still confident the structure we've discussed is the right structure. That doesn't mean we won't look at tweaking it, but we feel a collective group of people making football decisions is healthy. The debate is healthy. Part of the reason we made this decision now is because we want to start the process of finding an excellent replacement.

Do you have a candidate in mind for the role?

We don't have any specific candidates in mind. Part of the reason we made this decision yesterday was to be in the best possible position to move forward as quickly as possible.

Is Damien's departure a reflection that the ownership group were unhappy with the return on player investment?

I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football. I wouldn't want to get specific about any particular decision that's been made. We feel there is enough talent on the pitch to win and, as I said, we've been dissatisfied, as most supporters have been, with the results so far. But we're also talking about the future - we have a strategy we need implemented and we felt Damien was probably not the right person to implement that strategy.

Does Damien Comolli's departure have any impact upon Kenny Dalglish's position as manager?

Absolutely not. We've got great confidence in Kenny. We feel the team is going to make strides in the future and he enjoys our full support.

Do you envisage any other changes in the senior management of the club?

We do not. It's a good question. We believe the senior management is very strong, Ian Ayre is an outstanding managing director. His charge is to raise revenue so that we can put the resources into strengthening our football club. We've got great confidence in the other people in football operations, and so the answer is there will be no future changes of significance.

In terms of transfer activity this summer, will Damien's departure affect plans that are already underway?

We've had a strategy that we have agreed on. There was some disconnect on the implementation of that. That strategy is a strong one and it will continue. We need to build a strong system under the first team. We're hard at work identifying transfer targets and we will be better next year.

Finally, as chairman of Liverpool Football Club, do you have a message for the supporters ahead of the very important game on Saturday?

We're all excited about this match. We certainly feel the team is healthy and the team is committed. We just attended a practice where they are excited about returning to Wembley. There's only one team in England that has the possibility of winning this cup and the Carling Cup, and I think our supporters around the world should feel very confident.

Ian Ayre is an outstanding managing director. His charge is to raise revenue so that we can put the resources into strengthening our football club.

By the sounds of it we wont be seeing that tit dancing round the changies if we win the FA Cup.

Has anyone picked up on the bit about resources. Could mean they will back us again this year as well.

I know they are looking at the FFP rules, but it only really applies to CL. No point in having a healthy profit if your not in a position to acquire the best players because your battling the bitters each year for 8th place.

I think Downing is a significant step back from playing Maxi there or a regular basis.

Enrique was always somebody I (and others) thought was a 'fucking player'.

Yep. Quality player even;). I still stand by that btw, even if his drop in form has been pretty severe. Coates was also lauded by some of the same posters, while Henderson (due to timing - first transfer of the year? - and lack of quality) and Adam were met with reservations by most people I know, myself included. I actually thought Adam would do ok as long as he had Lucas (or Spearing) next to him (which he pretty much was). Without them (coupled with Henderson/Gerrard he's been a trainwreck though.

Guest San Don
Has anyone picked up on the bit about resources. Could mean they will back us again this year as well.

I know they are looking at the FFP rules, but it only really applies to CL. No point in having a healthy profit if your not in a position to acquire the best players because your battling the bitters each year for 8th place.

Spending in a rolling 3 year period is taken into consideration. So, although we wont be in it next year, the following year we will be but we still need to be in FFP Rule next season as well.