You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Spurs Match thread - Monday

Guest LFD

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Spurs deserve credit tonight but in all honesty what I watched tonight I learnt nothing new about them than when we played them at WHL.

1. Gareth Bale is a diving cheat.

2. Scott Parker is a horrible little twat

My gripe is that I cannot understand why we did not get another striker in the transfer window. It was one of those nights again where if we played for another hour I wonder if we would score.

Did anyone else feel Gerrard didnt look right tonight? Seemed to be holding back or was it just me? Maybe one eye on Saturday?

Ill say Jay Spearing is doing a great job as our holding midfielder.

Unfortunately Tottenham got the draw they came for. We just can't fucking score, and it's doing my head in.

I thought Carroll had his best game for us. He worked hard and physically looked like a pro footballer. He also contributed to our build up play and kept the ball up well.

I thought Spearing had a poor game, his passes went wayward too often. Kuyt was no great shakes either.

We clearly miss Enrique, he's much better bombing down the left than Johnson.

Missed opportunity since Chelsea drew yesterday. I'm starting to lose faith in getting into the top four.

We have to score more goals, absolutely have to.

Unfortunately Tottenham got the draw they came for. We just can't fucking score, and it's doing my head in.

I thought Carroll had his best game for us. He worked hard and physically looked like a pro footballer. He also contributed to our build up play and kept the ball up well.

I thought Spearing had a poor game, his passes went wayward too often. Kuyt was no great shakes either.

We clearly miss Enrique, he's much better bombing down the left than Johnson.

Missed opportunity since Chelsea drew yesterday. I'm starting to lose faith in getting into the top four.

We have to score more goals, absolutely have to.

Frustrating game. It was the same old story of just not being good enough in the final third. We worked the ball into some great crossing positions on a number of occasions and time after time the ball into the box was really poor. We missed Enrique and although Johnson did a good job defensively he's far less effective getting forward on the left as he constantly has to turn infield to get the ball onto his right foot. Spurs defended well and Dawson had an excellent game but we were just too predictable a lot of the time. On the plus side Carroll is starting to actually resemble a footballer and Suarez is finally back. Bale and Parker really did my head in tonight as did the commentator's constant fawning all over them.

Including the corner, i counted 4.

As i osted earlier, fucking atrocious. no wonder Carroll is struggling.

These guys are paid to do NOTHING but kick a fucking football all week.

Shocking.

According to the Norwegian commentators we've attempted over 500 crosses this season from open play and scored...... 0 goals. Surely that can't be right? Anyone remember a cross from open play resulting in a goal?

November being the worst then

Yeah, it's rounding error though. This is the one that that says it all.

When your main strikers needs 16 shots per goal you know you will struggle. And when your midfielders need 20-30 you know they are not part of the solution. And of course Downing=divide by zero error.

20120206-tzlg-117kb.jpg

Disappointing night - the highlight was probably when the cat came on the field. I thought both sides were really poor in possession and neight did enough to win the game. Bale had the best chance and thankfully his shot went straight to Reina who did well.

I wanted to see Suarez start and I think Kenny would have got criticism either way - assuming we didn't win. He if started and we didn't get the result people would say he disrupted the team that did so well in the last three games. If he doesn't start him like tonight, people will say he should have done. Personally I would have started him and said so in the first post of this thread, but I can understand why he didn't. Although it certainly cost us, as we missed him.

I thought tonight was the best I have seen Carroll for us and I include the Man City game last season. His touch was good, he was aggressive, mobile, held up the ball / linked well with his teammates and worked hard. He looked like a footballer and the one Newcastle had. However he did miss our best chance and his finishing has been poor since he has arrived and I am not convinced he is the right type of partner for Suarez or clinical enough for us. But I thought the rest of his game was very good. But I have said it before and I'll say it again, all centre backs in this league want us to cross to Carroll, as they are good in the air themselves and feel confident they can cope with it and as a result King / Dawson looked very comfortable just like they did last season against him and every other centre back has done against him this season. Unless we improve our service to him, he won't be a threat and while we don't have top quality delivery we'd be better playing to feet and having our best converter of chances in the box Bellamy - over Carroll.

I was disappointed Bellamy came off, as I would have liked to see him go central and give King / Dawson something different to think about runs in behind them, rather than Carroll who 90% of the time has his back to goal.

God knows what Maxi has done wrong. His scoring stats have been brilliant since Dalglish took over, but he can't get in the squad and has missed a fair fair squads recently. Who is more likely to get a goal Downing or Maxi? Clearly Maxi and he should be at least making the bench, I'd be starting him far more as well. We need goals and Maxi, Bellamy, Gerrard and Suarez are our most likely players to get them in the squad, the stats say that as well!

Gerrard looked quality when we got the ball to him, but I think he was a rose amongst thorns in the final third. He had no one to play one / two's with in the final third, as Carroll is not that type of player and as a result Parker could snuff him out easily.

Spearing was boss again, bar a couple sloppy passes. He won the battle with Modric.

There was some horrible stuff in the game, thought Agger and Bale both dived in the second half. What was Suarez thinking with Parker? He certainly meant that and I won't defend that behaviour from him - he should be trying to enhance his reputation and he knew what he was doing. He needs to cut that out! What's with the Parker hate? I like him and think he is a very good player and don't see why he gets all the abuse on here, have I missed something?

Overall it is disappointing result as Spurs had a fair few players missing and were there for the taking tonight and we had plenty of possession to do so. But we have to stop putting in hopeful crosses to Carroll and play our biggest goal threats. Against United I'd start Gerrard, Maxi, Suarez and Bellamy as the front four players for that very reason.

According to the Norwegian commentators we've attempted over 500 crosses this season from open play and scored...... 0 goals. Surely that can't be right? Anyone remember a cross from open play resulting in a goal?

could be true since its our fullbacks that usually end up putting in the cross.

our actual winger fucks the ball off to enrique at the first chance he gets.

and one thing that has been doing my head in all season is that we never have anyone on the 18 yard box when loose balls drop there which invariably happens at least 3 or 4 times every game.

Being noticing this the last few games alrite the amount of loose balls cleared by the opposition is crazy Parker got a few tonight,, think it stems from not having enough players in the box and having midfielders timing runs into the box Meireles was good at it last year was hopin Henderson would pick up from him..

Parker should not have been on the pitch for anybody to kick at that point.

He got away with constant fouling all night with just a yellow & then threw a shocking challenge in on the edge of the box with about 15 minutes left & got away with it as the ref played advantage & ran away from the decision.

I'll let you guys make your own minds up. But I think he meant it.

suarezz1upo.gif

You can see it clearly that he's looking up at the ball and tries to kick it if it falls down. What makes him hit Parker instead is that he gives Parker a push and he gets in the way of the ball, although he probably would have been there anyway. What makes it look so bad is the slow motion, but it's not like that in real time when you're in the middle of it all. Anyone who has played knows it. And he did apologise immediately.

Parker made a meal of it, though.