You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2012

llego

Van Persie, 24m for a world class finisher and for 4-5 year you forget about finishing the chances issues. But Liverpool were looking at the wrong 29 year old and at the end we didn't even get him.

If you don't understang the need to invest money, everything is difficult.

You really think Van Persie would have left Arsenal to come to us?

I think we're better than them, I really do, barring the defensive mistake and goalkeeping error we were the better side today everywhere but scoring which is what he would address.

I don't think he'd have come here though and I'm sure Arsenal would have tried to get us to go up on the price somehow, because that's what every club seems to do to us.

@WaltonRed - Cheers then. Either him and/or Drogba would be great should they come available.

Isn't he just making a general point that value can't be measured in terms of age alone?

Fair enough, but who here really suggests that train of thought anyway?

It's only been the owners saying things that suggest we should only look to sign young players with potential rather than the finished article.

Fair enough, but who here really suggests that train of thought anyway?

It's only been the owners saying things that suggest we should only look to sign young players with potential rather than the finished article.

I get the impression some people here would eat the owners shit even if you didn't tell them it tastes of ice cream.

You really think Van Persie would have left Arsenal to come to us?

I think we're better than them, I really do, barring the defensive mistake and goalkeeping error we were the better side today everywhere but scoring which is what he would address.

I don't think he'd have come here though and I'm sure Arsenal would have tried to get us to go up on the price somehow, because that's what every club seems to do to us.

@WaltonRed - Cheers then. Either him and/or Drogba would be great should they come available.

You think we are better than Arsenal? Well I think you are totally wrong and that they are much better than us. They also have a better and more experienced manager. I may not like him, but that's how it is unfortunately.

We have yet to score a goal from open play and we concede goals easily.

People complain about Kenny's tenure, yet under Kenny our defence was solid. We finished with the third best defence in the league. Now that strengh seems lost as well.

I'm not arguing whether Van Persie would come to Liverpool. I don't care. I could say Podolski who was a Bosman. At the end of the day we had a player if not better at least as good as Van Persie and we sold him to Chelsea and the owners were dancing in the media for their success. All I'm saying is we need a striker/finisher and it was our number 1 priority in the summer. Yet we got Mr no one and made sure we shipped our last forwrad option, Carroll on loan. That's amateur stuff, championship level planning.

The manager said it though, "We need more players, we need more goals, we are short in numbers, nowhere good enough, I'd be nutcase to loan..." etc....

Van Persie, 24m for a world class finisher and for 4-5 year you forget about finishing the chances issues. But Liverpool were looking at the wrong 29 year old and at the end we didn't even get him.

If you don't understang the need to invest money, everything is difficult.

It's all very well being a world class finisher, but 24 million for a 29 year old,

NO RESALE VALUE!!!!!

It's all very well being a world class finisher, but 24 million for a 29 year old,

NO RESALE VALUE!!!!!

I doubt United were looking for resale value on Van Persie. He will win them trophies and earn his fee and wages. Big clubs don't make money only from selling their stars. They make money from winning trophies.

I don't think Standard Chartered and Warrior signed a 50m per season to sponsor a mid-table team with Mr No one as forward. That's how it is now unfrotunately.

I doubt United were looking for resale value on Van Persie. He will win them trophies and earn his fee and wages. Big clubs don't make money only from selling their stars. They make money from winning trophies.

I don't think Standard Chartered and Warrior signed a 50m per season to sponsor a mid-table team with Mr No one as forward. That's how it is now unfrotunately.

If we weren't prepared to spend 6 million on Dempsey, then we will never sign a player like Van Persie. The fee plus the wages are way way over our budget.

In case it escaped your attention, we finished eighth below Everton. Perhaps people were expecting that glaringly obvious problem to be addressed.

Anyway, negged. Now tell me how much you don't care.

We also had a fairly shit team overall. I certainly didn't expect it all to be fixed in one summer. I'm guessing you did. Top strikers come at a higher premium than any other position, so given the limited budget we've obviously attempted to fix other areas first. Other than Allen and Borini, that is yet to be determined as the new signings have yet to play. Allen however is clearly our best midfielder, and we would obviously not have gotten a striker of equal ability for 15 mill. It was a shit finish to the transfer period, but I'm not getting my knickers in a twist over missing out on Dempsey. We clearly did not have the funds to bring in a top quality striker, it was always going to be a stopgap player, so I fully expected that it was not going to be fully addressed until January at the earliest, well before the end of the window.

Negging apparently = "Low-grade insults meant to undermine the self-confidence of a woman so she might be more vulnerable to your advances." - Urban Dictionary

My balls are itching for some reason.

You think we are better than Arsenal? Well I think you are totally wrong and that they are much better than us. They also have a better and more experienced manager. I may not like him, but that's how it is unfortunately.

We have yet to score a goal from open play and we concede goals easily.

People complain about Kenny's tenure, yet under Kenny our defence was solid. We finished with the third best defence in the league. Now that strengh seems lost as well.

I'm not arguing whether Van Persie would come to Liverpool. I don't care. I could say Podolski who was a Bosman. At the end of the day we had a player if not better at least as good as Van Persie and we sold him to Chelsea and the owners were dancing in the media for their success. All I'm saying is we need a striker/finisher and it was our number 1 priority in the summer. Yet we got Mr no one and made sure we shipped our last forwrad option, Carroll on loan. That's amateur stuff, championship level planning.

The manager said it though, "We need more players, we need more goals, we are short in numbers, nowhere good enough, I'd be nutcase to loan..." etc....

Apologies my friend didn't mean to seem like I was having a go at you if that's how you took it. We agree on more than we don't but that's just the problem isn't it? It's not us who need to agree that we need more players and age need not be an issue barring extreme circumstances (Paying tons of money out the ass for an old player on his last legs isn't smart for example), it's the owners who need to recognize that.

The other thing is we can't afford the best young players because clubs are catching on to the idea that the best young players usually turn into the best players of the next generation. So those young players end up going for the same or more than an established older player would, and either we don't have that kind of money or we're not prepared to spend it right now. It's looking more and more like Sterling is going to have to be our Messi, but we can't expect that as it's far to much pressure to put on someone of his age and he doesn't have the quality around him for the most part that Messi had when he himself was coming through at Barcelona.

Gerrard also needs more help than he has in years passed and for whatever reason Suarez isn't working as our main forward. Maybe he'll get it together, maybe he won't but considering he's one of our best players we need to figure out how to get the most out of him within this system as soon as possible.

As far as us being better than Arsenal, I feel like we outplayed them except where it matters most, finishing and goalkeeping. Even goalkeeping is debatable because we hardly tested their keeper but Reina also fucked up on Cazorla's shot, I'll give him some leeway for Podolski's but he probably should have saved both to be honest. Some would say defense but our defense was good except when we got caught out and we got caught out because of the way we play, that's why we need Reina on his best form so we can afford a few of those instances a game without it killing us. Of course, had our passing been a bit better up the field in those instances we might not have had to rely on Reina to bail us out either.

Yep.

Goals win games and its that simple.

They are the most successful English team of the last 20 years and still play 442 and its variations and our club believes it knows better.

Logic.

We refuse to follow them, on principle, and look how successful that has been...

You spend your money on quality forwards and quality defenders, because that's what the game's about, keeping the ball out of your net and putting it in the other net.

As good as Allen is, as good as Sahin is, as good as Adam or Henderson were, it counts for very fucking little really. When that chubby cunt Anderson still gets a game for United from time to time, that's when you really realise how fucking low the midfield is on Ferguson's list of things to sort.

180 pages Brendan? I've just condensed the truth into a paragraph.

We know from Handshakegate that FSG listen to their corporate partners and respond when they're not happy with something. If we don't improve our league performance this season, I wonder if the sponsors will get on their case to invest some of their own money.

People using Man Utd as a benchmark really don't know what they are talking about. Man Utd is being run in appalling fashion, and this will soon enough become evident on the pitch. If Ferguson had any integrity at all he would be calling out the owners (much in the same way Rafa did), but he's not arsed about Man Utd, he's not arsed about leaving a legacy, he only wants to leave with a great record, then fuck what happens after that!

People using Man Utd as a benchmark really don't know what they are talking about. Man Utd is being run in appalling fashion, and this will soon enough become evident on the pitch. If Ferguson had any integrity at all he would be calling out the owners (much in the same way Rafa did), but he's not arsed about Man Utd, he's not arsed about leaving a legacy, he only wants to leave with a great record, then fuck what happens after that!

They have been reckless in terms of how they've done it, but the ethos is still the same, buy the best strikers and defenders, that's their priority every season. The midfield and goalkeeper positions are not priorities.

The twat has tried and failed to buy big in the centre before, and it's just not been worth it. Veron, Anderson, there's £50m right there spunked against the wall.