You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Police investigating rascist gesture at Anfield

Diddyman

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Melons,will you keep your family at home in the future.

I knew i'd be involved the second i found out where the knuckle dragger was from.

Barmouth = shit hole. It's not a exactly a place of indigenous residents either, most move there from the midlands. Says it all really.

I knew i'd be involved the second i found out where the knuckle dragger was from.

Barmouth = shit hole. It's not a exactly a place of indigenous residents either, most move there from the midlands. Says it all really.

I should point out, my views are very much tainted from growing up in the area. Most people move out, and those that don't are over run with complete and utter 'tards that leave a bad feel to it. It's nothing like the town it was 20/30 years ago.

Fuck off!!!*

*unless you mean West Midlands, in which case, carry on.

Not being in that area, I'd have never known that if you hadn't mentioned it. Interesting though and surprising that more haven't at least considered it as a possibility.

Years back when wigan athletic were in the second division I got a freebie when they played city in the league cup, there was a bit of bluster round the back of the stadium after the game, ive never seen so much eyebrow on display since, simian bastards :monkeywink:

Obviously if the guy was aiming it at evra he's a prick, ban him. As long as its proven rather than probable of course

Looks like he's directing toward the Annie Road while all the others are looking ahead...or at Evra in the left back position.

Whatever his motivation his foolishness is hard to believe. If it was a 'manc monkey walk ' piss take which let's face it is a possibility and a legit target you have to ask yourself if it was you wouldn't you stop and think for a moment perhaps this is not the most appropriate time to do this given the circumstances ?!

If there is evidence it was directed at a black player than he'll be deservedly banned.

Either way it's being dealt with by the police and they don't need Sky Sports to re-run it on loop every 10 minutes.

LFC apologising for showing footage on their website

Liverpool apologise after website video shows alleged racist gesture

By Richard Conway

BBC Sport

Liverpool have apologised after video footage of an alleged racist gesture by a fan was shown on their website.

Highlights of Saturday's FA Cup tie against Manchester United, featuring the incident, were still available to view more than 48 hours after the game.

A spokesman for Liverpool FC told BBC Sport: "We can confirm that footage was mistakenly included in the highlights package that appeared on the website.

"It should not have been included and we are sorry it happened."

The spokesman added: "It was removed immediately when it was brought to our attention."

Saturday's FA Cup match was the first time that the two teams had met since the clash between Patrice Evra and Luis Suarez at Anfield in October.

Suarez was subsequently banned for eight games by the Football Association, who found him guilty of racially abusing Evra.

Police officers reviewed TV footage from Anfield after images were posted on Twitter of a man making an alleged racist gesture.

A 58-year-old man from Barmouth in Gwynedd, North Wales, was arrested on Saturday evening.

On Sunday night, a Merseyside Police spokeswoman said: "A 58-year-old man from north Wales, who was arrested on suspicion of a racially-aggravated public order offence yesterday following the Liverpool and Manchester United match, has been released on police bail pending further inquiries."

The video footage on Liverpool's website compounds a difficult few months for the club following widespread criticism over how the Suarez case was handled by the club and the arrest of a fan following the FA Cup third-round tie against Oldham Athletic on 6 January.

On that occasion a 20-year-old man from Aintree, Merseyside, was arrested, and then later bailed, on suspicion of a racially aggravated public order offence following alleged racist abuse directed towards Oldham player Tom Adeyemi.

Liverpool issued a statement after the game expressing that they were "deeply sorry" for what happened and they would "continue to take the strongest possible action against unacceptable behaviour during our matches".

The club have reiterated their stance that anyone found guilty of committing an offence will be banned for life.

RED-FACED REDS

Continue reading the main story

15 Oct 2011: Suarez and Evra clash in 1-1 Premier League draw between Liverpool and United at Anfield

16 Oct: FA investigate Evra's claims that he was racially abused by Suarez

17 Nov: Suarez charged by FA

20 Dec: Suarez handed eight-game ban

3 Jan 2012: Liverpool accept ban after ruling out appeal

5 Jan: Suarez apologises

6 Jan: Liverpool fan arrested for allegation of racist abuse directed at Oldham's Tom Adeyemi

28 Jan: Liverpool beat United 2-1 in FA Cup fourth round tie. Second Liverpool fan arrested for racially-aggravated public order offence

30 Jan: Liverpool apologise for featuring video footage of alleged racist gesture on their website

This is worse reporting:

Phil Gannon: Liverpool fan 'who made monkey gesture' is Facebook supporter of Luis Suarez | Mail Online

A father-of-four accused of making racist 'monkey' gestures during Liverpool's weekend FA Cup tie is a member of a Facebook group 'Luis Suarez is innocent'.

Phil Gannon, 58, was caught on camera apparently aiming abuse at Patrice Evra during the match against Manchester United.

Race row striker Suarez, 25, was banned for eight matches for abusing Evra during a match at Anfield earlier in the season.

Liverpool fans complained that the forward, 25, had been harshly treated after he was given a suspension - and campaigned for his name to be cleared.

Gannon, 58, was held after footage from Saturday's match, which was shown on ITV, apparently showed him making a racist gesture at the defender.

Police are still reviewing the footage and yesterday released him on bail after questioning.

Liverpool won the game 2-1.

The father also wrote on Facebook that his interests include 'inter-continental rioting' and 'global regime change'.

A Merseyside Police spokesman last night confirmed a 58-year-old man had been bailed until April in connection with the incident.

Read more: Phil Gannon: Liverpool fan 'who made monkey gesture' is Facebook supporter of Luis Suarez | Mail Online

So even if Nick Griffin were to turn up to a match to make political capital, he would be our problem

• 2 months later...

Monkey man is charged. If convicted I hope the club take appropriate action.

BBC News - Liverpool v Man Utd FA Cup tie: Man on racist gesture charge

Liverpool v Man Utd FA Cup tie: Man on racist gesture charge

A man has been charged with making racist gestures during an FA Cup tie between Liverpool and Manchester United at Anfield in January.

Philip Gannon, of Heol Meirion, Barmouth, north Wales, has been charged with a racially aggravated public order offence. He also faces a second public order charge, Merseyside Police said.

The charges relate to a game between the two clubs on 28 January.

Mr Gannon, 58, was bailed to appear at Liverpool Justice Centre on 20 April.

Guest ShoePiss

I just knew he wasn't from Liverpool looking at him. How embarrassing it must be for him, 58 years old and cannot behave himself in public.

• 2 months later...

Blueshite on the Echo website posting loads of comments about "What excuses are the Reds going to use for this one". Because, of course, the fact that one person has been found guilty of a racist gesture is cast-iron proof that every last one of us is a racist.

Fuck 'em. I really don't want to stare too long into that morass of bigotry and hypocrisy.

Hmmmm. On that basis, so are they. A work colleague of mine is an Everton season ticket holder. Last season he reported a supporter two rows in front of him (yes, an Evertonian) for racially abusing an opposition player. He gave a statement to the police, and the individual was convicted and banned from Goodison Park. Presumably that means all Evertonians are racist.

Guest ShoePiss
Did you read what his friend offered as an excuse?

It wasn't a monkey, it was a sort of caveman dance.

I shit you not.

The fella was welsh wasn't he? Hmm