You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

SCOUSE TAPAS

Boxings greatest ever champion is 70 today.

Many people say the greatest sportsman ever and love him or hate him one thing is certain there will never be another Ali.

Theres so many Ali fights I could put up here and I came down to either his 64 fight against Liston,when nobody gave Clay any chance of beating him.

The other fight is this one the 66 fight against Williams.

This fight should be used to show any boxer how to box a perfect fight.

It is a boxer just about to reach his peak and puts on a show that many claim to be his greatest fight ever.

This is the fight when even his doubters had to admit that Ali was the real deal.

[YOUTUBE]oJUzl0aFHZw[/YOUTUBE]

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boxings greatest ever champion is 70 today.

Many people say the greatest sportsman ever and love him or hate him one thing is certain there will never be another Ali.

Theres so many Ali fights I could put up here and I came down to either his 64 fight against Liston,when nobody gave Clay any chance of beating him.

The other fight is this one the 66 fight against Williams.

This fight should be used to show any boxer how to box a perfect fight.

It is a boxer just about to reach his peak and puts on a show that many claim to be his greatest fight ever.

This is the fight when even his doubters had to admit that Ali was the real deal.

[YOUTUBE]oJUzl0aFHZw[/YOUTUBE]

Disagree with that part, and don't like the racist, but no denying he is probably the greatest heavyweight of all time. He has a hard life now with how much his Parkinsons has progressed too.

I have seen a bit if Louis and personally I don't think he would have beaten Ali or should be considered a better fighter.

His list of opponents just doesn't stand up like Ali's does for a start.

The best Louis beat for me are Schmelling, Joe Walcott and Ezzard Charles.

That's why I was wondering if somebody could give me more of an insight into him. It seems to divide opinion quite a bit with some people. Ali for me though, even though I couldn't give a proper assessment of Louis. Getting beat by a great fighter and coming back to beat him is the sign of a true champion.

He was an unbelievable athlete.

He once said, "You ain't no fool, if you're from Liverpool".

Legend.

What? Another racist Liverpool fan?

Brilliant fighter and sportsman. Not the best though.

However, the first person to perfect self-promotion.

I actually don't especially like the man as some of his views were pretty horrific. Yes he saw and was subjected to some terrible racism, but some of the things he said about Frazier were pretty horrific. Not an especially nice man. Having said that, very sad to see him now.

I was at Kiltchko v Brock at Madison Square Garden a few years back and Ali’s daughter was fighting. Ali was driven ringside in a golf cart by Dustin Hoffman! With the chants of "Ali, Ali, Ali" echoing around the Garden I can safely say the hairs on the back of my neck were very much on end and it’ll be something that will live with me for a very long time.

Wonder how he'd be remembered if he was white and came out with half the stuff he did. Great fighter though.

People need to remember this was America 1960s,blacks still had no rights,the kkk doing nightly bbqs and lynchings still going on.

When Clay won his gold for America at the olympics it made him so proud.

He use to sleep with the medal and go out wearing it.

One day he goes into a diner for something to eat.

White guy comes over and says get out and Clay replies why,the guy answers we dont serve niggers here.

Clay left the diner took off his medal and threw it into the ohio river.

He grew up watching blacks being beaten and treated like dogs,he never went to Vietnam because in his words the Vietcong never called me a nigger.

His view being why should I fight for a country that treats me worse than a dog.

Also his treatment by a white jury over his not going to Vietnam was a five year prison sentence,which was five times the amount of time anybody else got for the same thing.

The white papers refused to call him Ali and always called him Clay after he had changed his name,because they knew it annoyed him.

I would be amazed if anybody here was him would not feel a hatred towards the white America of that era.

Its easy to be critical over some of the things he said,but its another thing to off actually gone through them times and speak up like he did against the racist attitude off them times.

He brought racism to the masses by his refusal to accept it.

He was a big factor in changing peoples views by standing up and confronting them issues and he might not off done it in the best way with some things he said but hey it certainly worked.

In the ring how many boxers can you think of who fought with his arms down and not up to protect themselves?

The reason being he didnt need to protect himself because he was that quick in moving away from a punch in his early days.

Watch the likes of his Terrell(Think it was 67?) a fifteen round fight and Ali is still dancing and punching away like it was the first round.

In the 70s he use to just take the punch because he could and let them tire themselves out or rope a dope as it was known.

I still think Ali 66,67 would of beaten any other boxer of any time because of his speed and talent.

Theres been better fighters no doubt than Ali but in his prime none that would of beaten him.

People need to remember this was America 1960s,blacks still had no rights,the kkk doing nightly bbqs and lynchings still going on..........

.......Theres been better fighters no doubt than Ali but in his prime none that would of beaten him.

All well and good a certainly genuine reasons for a dislike of white people, but then how does all that sit with his treatment of Frazier?

All well and good a certainly genuine reasons for a dislike of white people, but then how does all that sit with his treatment of Frazier?

Pretty much this. I wasn't on about anything he said about the "white man" but rather the things he called Frazier.

I'm not sure being treated like dirt by whites excuses him from those remarks to be honest.

Pretty much this. I wasn't on about anything he said about the "white man" but rather the things he called Frazier.

I'm not sure being treated like dirt by whites excuses him from those remarks to be honest.

This is Frazier crying while talking about Ali.

Ali even went to fraziers funeral and at that time Ali was really ill and looked frail as hell.

[YOUTUBE]JImT0sX1G8o[/YOUTUBE]

To pull more people into watching the fight,they were great friends.

It was all a show

Sorry mate, but that's bollox, and I'm willing to bet that you know it's bollox also, but just don't want to admit that Ali acted like a total cunt to Frazier.

Frazier hated Ali right up until the final years. He even said after Ali lit the Olympic torch that he'd loved to have been able to throw Ali on the fire. He hated him and was extremely upset by the whole Uncle Tom thing.