You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nigs - get off the soapbox. Thanks for the insight into how a Hispanic should feel.

The only point worth discussing is your belief that the club would not have done anything if this was not a high profile player - I will take it one further and suggest the FA would not have done anything if this was not a high profile, foreign player. We are gonna find out soon enough.

Your sig is tres apropos. Thats French.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem I do have with Suarez, is his claimed ignorance of the impact of the word "negrito", on the basis that it is in common usage in Uruguay. So then, if the people in my household routinely use the word "darkie" or "coon", we would be free to say it everywhere?

No because the country in which your house is located has a culture which does not accept those words as merely descriptive but as unambiguously perjorative. So you would only use them if you were ignorant or racist, or if you hadn't stepped out of your house since they started broadcasting Love Thy Neighbour.

And if you really have spent some time in Uruguay then you will also understand that referring to a 'mulatto' who counts as an ethnic minority in a mainly white Uruguay, as 'sudaca' in an aggressive way, carries racist connotations. As for attempting to claim that 'negrito' is anything more than descriptive and non derogatory in Uruguay then you are embarrassing yourself since you are contradicting eminent academics who I would suggest are more qualified than either of us to comment on the subject.

Not me if it involved another South American player using the same language, even if it was Luis Valencia or that Mexican pea. I have lived in that part of the world, I am married to one of them. I know something about the culture and language. I'm no expert, but I would certainly not lynch someone who could be innocent of such a charge, especially where it is just an fa panel who deem the language to be racist!

Well thats to your credit. Melons is right and most people would have the pitchforks and lanterns out in a flash . I am as incandescant about the whole affair as everyone else but we have been fucked over and there is nothing much we can do about it now. The FA arent going to say on apppeal we got it wrong and there is no case to answer after all. At best Luis will get a more lenient sentence.

Its one thats going to hurt for while and for my part I am just trying to comfort myself with the thought that the tabloid scumbags will fuck off soon enough and the average Joe will forget why he was upset with Suarez .The Mongo and Redknapp cases will be everywhere and then Ingurland flags will litter the streets in preparation for next failure and inquest into why we are so shit at international football.

I could of course have used wrong crystal ball and Luis could be totally cleared , Slur could be outed for collusion with the FA in a match fixing scandal and jailed. Mongo and Triffic could be sharing a cell for the next 5

years and LFC could win all their remaining games and lift the title. Oh and I nearly forgot , Ingurland could lose on penalties to Spain in the final.

Guest San Don
My, my, my, what a response. Some of them promoting valid arguments, the vast majority not.

Firstly, just to clear a couple of things up, I am neither an Everton nor United fan, nor am I Maddock (whoever that is). So, now that's out of the way...

Pull the other one. You dont know who maddock is but you know enough to comment on the Suarez situation? Do me a favour.

My problem isn't with Suarez, particularly,as the sentence "The issue isn't whether Suarez is, or isn't a racist" should have indicated. That was a clue missed by just about everybody in the rush to post kneejerk reactions.

The problem I do have with Suarez, is his claimed ignorance of the impact of the word "negrito", on the basis that it is in common usage in Uruguay. So then, if the people in my household routinely use the word "darkie" or "coon", we would be free to say it everywhere? Don't talk daft. He knew what he was saying, and the reaction he was likely to get, regardless of what happens in his own country.

A gross over simplification and in any event what Suarez said isnt akin to you saying 'darkie' and 'coon.'

To put it simply, evra used racist language to Suarez. (Dont beleive me? I suggest you look at united defence of cantona over the kung foo affair at selhurst park. united argued cantona being called a 'french twat \ bastard' was racist in the use of 'french.' Put simply united cant argue using one's nationality, 'french' in the case of the cantona incident then, dismiss evra's 'take your hands of me 'south american is not.)

Suarez is said to have replied 'Porque negrito?' Whether we like it or not, it is a term frequently used in Uruguay without racist connotations. If he had said 'you what you black fuck?' then I'd have no problem with Suarez being found guilty since he'd be using the local (english) venacular and not his own.

Oh, and just to clear something else up, whilst we're on the subject. I don't know any of you here on a personal level, but I'm pretty much willing to guarantee that I've spent more time in Latin America than every single one of you who weren't either born there or living there now. I understand more about the culture of those countries (of which there are many. "Latin American" is not a culture, by the way) than you could ever imagine, and I know exactly how the word "negrito" is applied in a particular context. most of you, as shown in the contradictory posts above, clearly don't.

You may well have lived, visited or mixed with South American people more but that still doesnt make you south american.

Alternatively, I guess you could know more about the Uruguaian culture than the president of uruguay and other people from Uruguay, eh! Not!

Suarez knew exactly what he was doing. Is he a racist? I don't know, because I don't know him. Did he act in a racist way? Yes, he did, whether you like it or not.

Suarez knew what he was doing? Yes, he was answering a remark in his native tongue. He's hardly perfected english (have you see any english interviews Suarez has given in the last 6 months? Wonder why that is? possibly pretending his 'ingleesh' isnt very good in case 6 months down the line he's accuses of racism? Fuck that one right off.

Anyway, back to my original point. Suarez isn't the biggest problem, it's the reaction of the club. In my opinion, and I know how you all want to hear it, LFC aren't concerned about losing a player for 8 games because he's innocent or guilty, they're concerned because they face 8 games with only a Geordie alcoholic as cover for their only effective forward. Had this been a reserve player, you wouldn't have heard a peep from Dalglish or anybody else. They've panicked, and they've embarrassed themselves.

That's the point.

By the way, for Dalglish to say the FA should look at punishing Wigan for their fans booing a man the FA have declared as having committed a racist act, I haven't stopped laughing yet.

Now than, finally, thanks for the dozens of negs I've received, it's nice to know I ruined a few of your days. For those who have contributed to this debate, I have no problem, you've said your piece and done what you had to do. For the rest of you, those who prefer to neg without input to the thread because you are incapable of constructing any valid points of argument, you are just soft cunts. Have the balls to stand up and be counted, instead of hiding behind a keyboard and a neg button.

I can't wait to see the t-shirts you'll all be wearing to support John Terry, when he claims he didn't act inappropriately. His family are clearly scum, but that means he can act that way all the time. Doesn't it?

Oh look, john terry! Now then, here we have actual independent evidence of a racist slur on camera, calling someone a 'black cunt' and 'fucking nobhead'

Now I dont have a problem much with the 'fucking nobhead' bit but that is apparently abusive language to an opponent. He should get an 2 game ban for that alone according to the FA's dictat. Will he? Guess we'll have to wait and see eh?

A few points for you Migs :

1. Trying to equate the word negro to 'coon' is laughable, one being a descriptive word that had gradually been degraded into an insult by neanderthals in Western society, and the other having been used as a term of abuse from the outset;

2. People in your household brought up in a society and using that word in the same society - of course they should know better. But that is a completely different scenario to the Suarez one. In addition, there are documented examples of South American players using the word, without malice, to describe their team-mates in Western Europe (see other threads), which goes against your argument that Suarez knew what he was doing;

3. Setting aside the incrediby patronising opening line of how much time you've spent in South America, you haven't spent as much time there as all the Uraguayan players, fans, citizens, and diplomats - all of whom know their own society far better than you ever could hope to - and all of whom support Suarez;

4. You say the FA have declared Suarez to be a racist. They haven't. Quite the opposite. They have not decided he was guilty of racism, but making reference to colour. Something seemingly lost on both you and the majority of the country over the last few days;

5. As for John Terry, there have been many who refused to condemn him on here when the footage with Ferdinand was first shown, and who recognise the footage isn't clear cut - myself among them. And why would we wear t-shirts? Terry doesn't play for LFC so there is no reason for us to do so. If the Chelsea players and fans want to do so, good on them I say, but it has nothing to do with us. Your suggestion is moronic;

6. To make statements such as "Did he act in a racist way? Yes, he did, whether you like it or not." is you telling people what they should think, not opening it up to debate as you claim. Is it any wonder people won't engage with you?

7. And finally, you didn't upset my day. I negged you because it gave me pleasure to do so. I enjoyed it. It brightened my day. And, once I've spread enough rep to put you in my sights, I think I shall do so again. Just because I can, and because were a cry-baby.

Not me if it involved another South American player using the same language, even if it was Luis Valencia or that Mexican pea. I have lived in that part of the world, I am married to one of them. I know something about the culture and language. I'm no expert, but I would certainly not lynch someone who could be innocent of such a charge, especially where it is just an fa panel who deem the language to be racist!

You state that noone other than the media is calling him racist? Not where I come from unfortunately. The media has far too much influence and there is a massive sheep mentality in this country.

The media are calling him a racist and the sheep follow, i struggle to see your point as to where many of our own fans would do any differently with regards to another teams player. I'd gladly shit down Evra's throat and it's nothing to do with him being black, just that he's a cunt.

I'm with Migs on this one, the excuse he's used isn't valid. Not intended as a racist remark maybe, and it may be acceptable for such usage in Uruguay but it's not acceptable in the uk and it was deemed racist by the person on the receiving end. He should of just called him a short arse cunt and had done. I'm sure his use of the english language has got him far enough for insults?

I hate the FA and i do believe Suarez has been treated appallingly by them. If they fail to show balance with other players receiving the same punishment then they just go to show what corrupt cunts they are.

Can i just ask to see the evidence or the document which states Suarez admits he said "Negrito" please? Couple of people up on their pedestals are talking as this is fact but i must have missed it. Cheers.

Nobody knows what either of them said - it is a waiting game. Pretty sure he did not call him a black cunt though.

The media are calling him a racist and the sheep follow, i struggle to see your point as to where many of our own fans would do any differently with regards to another teams player. I'd gladly shit down Evra's throat and it's nothing to do with him being black, just that he's a cunt.

I'm with Migs on this one, the excuse he's used isn't valid. Not intended as a racist remark maybe, and it may be acceptable for such usage in Uruguay but it's not acceptable in the uk and it was deemed racist by the person on the receiving end. He should of just called him a short arse cunt and had done. I'm sure his use of the english language has got him far enough for insults?

I hate the FA and i do believe Suarez has been treated appallingly by them. If they fail to show balance with other players receiving the same punishment then they just go to show what corrupt cunts they are.

I was only talking about myself and how I would react, I wasn't talking about our whole fanbase! I can't comment about how anyone else might react, although you are probably right that many would take the opportunity to kick a man when he is down if he plays for a rival club.

I fully admit to a bias here, both as a Liverpool fan and a lover of South American culture. My South American wife is apoplectic with rage about this incident too and it is probably why I disagree with both Migs and your good self. She is often referred to as negrita/negra by her family and friends and beyond, because she is naturally more darker skinned than others from her country of origin. That doesn't automatically make them malicious racists, it's langauge that comes totally naturally to them, they have lived with it since childhood and freely express it in all manner of situations without a moments thought, because there is NO MALINTENT in it. None whatsoever.

She has however experienced true racism in this wonderfully hypocritical country of ours.

I agree reference to skin colour is not acceptable in this sensitive country, but to brand Luis Suarez a racist (as some of the media have overtly done and some of the public) or to suggest that his language had racist intent when he is proclaiming his innocence, when the club is vehemently defending him to the hilt (why would the club do this to such an extent if there was any doubt?), and when there is a clear cultural inclination to regularly use adjectives to describe a person's appearance without any malice intended, is downright appalling and, in my opinion, bordering on prejudice in itself, as there is a clear failure to understand his cultural background. It is of course impossible to draw any full conclusions at a personal level as we still don't know exactly what was said (which is scandalous in its own right), but perhaps an appropriate "punishment" would have been a warning that such language is unacceptable and a suspended ban. Innocent until PROVEN guilty in a court of law for me, NOT an fa panel of 3 persons of questionable background, cultural knowledge and awareness.

I'm taking a break from this thread now as this is winding me up far too much and I want to enjoy Christmas! Bring on the beer!

Edited by RedPaul
added a word

Can i just ask to see the evidence or the document which states Suarez admits he said "Negrito" please? Couple of people up on their pedestals are talking as this is fact but i must have missed it. Cheers.

we have to wait weeks for the F.A.and their PR team to present the report in a light which will reflect the verdict they came to in October. Don't rush them.

I was only talking about myself and how I would react, I wasn't talking about our whole fanbase! I can't comment about how anyone else might react, although you are probably right that many would take the opportunity to kick a man when he is down if he plays for a rival club.

I fully admit to a bias here, both as a Liverpool fan and a lover of South American culture. My South American wife is apoplectic with rage about this incident too and it is probably why I disagree with both Migs and your good self. She is often referred to as negrita/negra by her family and friends and beyond, because she is naturally more darker skinned than others from her country of origin. That doesn't automatically make them malicious racists, it's langauge that comes totally naturally to them, they have lived with it since childhood and freely express it in all manner of situations without a moments thought, because there is NO MALINTENT in it. None whatsoever.

She has however experienced true racism in this wonderfully hypocritical country of ours.

I agree reference to skin colour is not acceptable in this sensitive country, but to brand Luis Suarez a racist (as some of the media have overtly done and some of the public) or to suggest that his language had racist intent when he is proclaiming his innocence, when the club is vehemently defending him to the hilt (why would the club do this to such an extent if there was any doubt?), and when there is a clear cultural inclination to regularly use adjectives to describe a person's appearance without any malice intended, is downright appalling and, in my opinion, bordering on prejudice in itself, as there is a clear failure to understand his cultural background. It is of course impossible to draw any full conclusions at a personal level as we still don't know exactly what was said (which is scandalous in its own right), but perhaps an appropriate "punishment" would have been a warning that such language is unacceptable and a suspended ban. Innocent until PROVEN guilty in a court of law for me, NOT an fa panel of 3 persons of questionable background, cultural knowledge and awareness.

I'm taking a break from this thread now as this is winding me up far too much and I want to enjoy Christmas! Bring on the beer!

Good post and have a good one mate

Feliz Navidad amigo/negrito !!

My, my, my, what a response. Some of them promoting valid arguments, the vast majority not.

Firstly, just to clear a couple of things up, I am neither an Everton nor United fan, nor am I Maddock (whoever that is). So, now that's out of the way...

My problem isn't with Suarez, particularly,as the sentence "The issue isn't whether Suarez is, or isn't a racist" should have indicated. That was a clue missed by just about everybody in the rush to post kneejerk reactions.

The problem I do have with Suarez, is his claimed ignorance of the impact of the word "negrito", on the basis that it is in common usage in Uruguay. So then, if the people in my household routinely use the word "darkie" or "coon", we would be free to say it everywhere? Don't talk daft. He knew what he was saying, and the reaction he was likely to get, regardless of what happens in his own country.

Oh, and just to clear something else up, whilst we're on the subject. I don't know any of you here on a personal level, but I'm pretty much willing to guarantee that I've spent more time in Latin America than every single one of you who weren't either born there or living there now. I understand more about the culture of those countries (of which there are many. "Latin American" is not a culture, by the way) than you could ever imagine, and I know exactly how the word "negrito" is applied in a particular context. most of you, as shown in the contradictory posts above, clearly don't.

Suarez knew exactly what he was doing. Is he a racist? I don't know, because I don't know him. Did he act in a racist way? Yes, he did, whether you like it or not.

Anyway, back to my original point. Suarez isn't the biggest problem, it's the reaction of the club. In my opinion, and I know how you all want to hear it, LFC aren't concerned about losing a player for 8 games because he's innocent or guilty, they're concerned because they face 8 games with only a Geordie alcoholic as cover for their only effective forward. Had this been a reserve player, you wouldn't have heard a peep from Dalglish or anybody else. They've panicked, and they've embarrassed themselves.

That's the point.

By the way, for Dalglish to say the FA should look at punishing Wigan for their fans booing a man the FA have declared as having committed a racist act, I haven't stopped laughing yet.

Now than, finally, thanks for the dozens of negs I've received, it's nice to know I ruined a few of your days. For those who have contributed to this debate, I have no problem, you've said your piece and done what you had to do. For the rest of you, those who prefer to neg without input to the thread because you are incapable of constructing any valid points of argument, you are just soft cunts. Have the balls to stand up and be counted, instead of hiding behind a keyboard and a neg button.

I can't wait to see the t-shirts you'll all be wearing to support John Terry, when he claims he didn't act inappropriately. His family are clearly scum, but that means he can act that way all the time. Doesn't it?

Oh please fuck off you absolute dickhead.

Talk about us assuming things when thats all you've done!

And justify it with this supposed time in South America and knowledge of their culture which you have.

Yeah, you're probably right. You know more than ACTUAL south americans such as Poyet, Pacheco and Forlan!

Im not going to give you a reasoned response because i'd frankly rather bang my head against a wall. Even that is less infuriating than arguing with idiots like you.

The same goes to anybody else spouting his "excuse" isnt valid. Its not a fucking excuse. Suarez knew he could of gotten away without saying a word. He told them what he said because its totally inoffensive.

It would sound RIDICULOUS to call somebody a Negrito if you wanted to insult them.

You're sure are you? How so?

I'd love to have such an indepth knowledge of Suarez's life. Is it some kind of membership the club do? Weekly review of how well he's learning a new language?

Stop being ridiculous. It's not acceptable in the UK? Under which law exactly? Since when has it not been acceptable to use a descriptive (and/or affectionate) term in your own language to somebody else in the UK?

Indians will often call a black person a "Kala" and a white person a "Gora". Neither of these are even mildly offensive. Its just a descriptive word. If for some reason the Indian language meant we referred to them as "Negrala", then it would be JUST AS INOFFENSIVE.

You see the problem isnt the word Negrito. Its the word Nigger. And Negro (Nee Gro, not Neh Gro). People are too fucking stupid to realise that 'Black' is DIRECTLY translated to Negro in spanish.

So if I'm spanish I can't tell people my dog is negro in colour. I cant say my playstation is negro in colour. Its a fucking word with absolutely no racial connotations.

I'd love somebody to quote me the law which states that it is illegal, in the UK, for a spanish person to describe somebody as black. Because its fucking not illegal to use the word in english.

Unless, ofcourse, its proceeded with the word cunt.

This is a forum, it's diverse in it's opinions, after all - that's what we're here to do share an opinion.

I agree with what you're saying. I just don't agree the culture issue should absolve him of all responsibility. I'm not saying Evra is a saint either.

You're sure are you? How so?

I'd love to have such an indepth knowledge of Suarez's life. Is it some kind of membership the club do? Weekly review of how well he's learning a new language?

Stop being ridiculous. It's not acceptable in the UK? Under which law exactly? Since when has it not been acceptable to use a descriptive (and/or affectionate) term in your own language to somebody else in the UK?

Indians will often call a black person a "Kala" and a white person a "Gora". Neither of these are even mildly offensive. Its just a descriptive word. If for some reason the Indian language meant we referred to them as "Negrala", then it would be JUST AS INOFFENSIVE.

You see the problem isnt the word Negrito. Its the word Nigger. And Negro (Nee Gro, not Neh Gro). People are too fucking stupid to realise that 'Black' is DIRECTLY translated to Negro in spanish.

So if I'm spanish I can't tell people my dog is negro in colour. I cant say my playstation is negro in colour. Its a fucking word with absolutely no racial connotations.

I'd love somebody to quote me the law which states that it is illegal, in the UK, for a spanish person to describe somebody as black. Because its fucking not illegal to use the word in english.

Unless, ofcourse, its proceeded with the word cunt.

Wind your neck in.

I live in Wales, believe it or not we speak another language here. There are words that could be used in both contexts in most languages, i can assure you words i'd use for my opponent may be the same as what i'd use for a friend but given the context of when and where it was said is what would deem it offensive or not.

Where have i said it's illegal, i've not. I've said it's unacceptable. The same way any insult should be, but we get het up in the moment and insults fly, some people get offended and some don't. If someone can kick someone with what they've said and it's to their advantage well why wouldn't they?

If he (as alleged) said ten times it in a familiar term, at one manc game I think it's fair to assume other players would of heard him say it to other black players too in the last year, but no-one has stepped forward? (i may be wrong)

Just saying 'I didn't know' doesn't always get my kids off scot free either.

This threads going off track. I'm saying that most of you would be calling for heads to roll the same way other fans are if it was another player from another team.

Everton aren't racist, just ask john barnes, john fashanu and les ferdindand. Our misfortune and failures are evertons' victories.

To be fair we were just as bad until Barnes joined.I can remember numerous games were the abuse a black player on the opposite side use to get was just unreal.

It was constant abuse from start to finish.

That's the point.

Is there any such thing as being a migsist?

Because I have what appears to be an irrational and yet all-consuming hatred of mig

I want to plant burning crosses on your front lawn and drag you for miles behind my 4 wheel drive

argentina_caceres-640x640x80.jpg

Fuck off, Maddock.