You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Didn't Terry allegedly say something that was racist to Ledley King a few years back

That was a strange incident. Terry clearly says something to King and jogs on, and King and I think two black players from the Spurs team chase after him, absolutely incensed. Terry then got another yellow and walked off without so much as a word of protest, which in itself was strange, because the incident that the foul was given for was a slight tug. Why wasn't Terry going mad at being booked for something so trivial leading to a red.

Nothing was ever made if it afterwards, and there are no videos of it I can find anywhere.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly I'm suprised by the number of posters claiming to say he didn't say this or that based on the video evidence and intimating he doesn't have a case to answer. Suprising to say the least.

Anyway, given that he's actually admitted using the words "black cunt" but has denied using it in a racist context (a very clever counter argument, I might add). One can only assume that this will put down as one big misunderstanding. He's had quite a few of them.

John Terry: Misunderstood, Again!

By Matthew Syed.

John Terry is the most unfortunate man in Britain. How else to make sense of the litany of misunderstandings that have afflicted the Chelsea captain and which have served cruelly to undermine his reputation? The most recent incident involves video footage that appears to show Terry racially abusing an opponent at the weekend. Terry admits to using racist language (and, to judge from the video, using it in an aggressive way), but he claims that he was stating the words to deny having said them an earlier spat. To put it another way, he has been misconstrued. It is not the first time, poor chap.

In December 2009 he was filmed showing a group of businessmen (actually undercover reporters) around the Chelsea training ground in return for £10,000 in used £50 notes. At the time, many inferred that he was seeking to enrich himself in direct contravention of his club's rules. But this was another misapprehension. According to Terry, £8,000 of the cash was destined for charity. Earlier that year Terry had been the victim of another misunderstanding. The story centred on an e-mail sent out by a company called Riviera Entertainment, which read: "John Terry is available to create effective brand awareness and endorse products and services globally." And later: "John Terry is: British sporting hero; England's football captain; World Cup 2018 ambassador; Football icon; Dad of the year 2008; Voted as one of the World's most influencial [sic] people."

According to Riviera, it was acting on the explicit instructions of Terry and his advisers, but Terry was having none of it. This was another case of misunderstanding. "An e-mail inviting commercial endorsements for me has been published," he said. "This e-mail was sent without my authority or knowledge and was not approved by me (or those advising me). I have nothing further to say on the matter."

In February 2010 (anyone else getting a sense of déjà vu?) Terry was accused of exploiting the England captaincy for commercial gain. According to reports, his box at Wembley (which he was allowed to hire at thousands of pounds below the market price as a perk of the England captaincy) was being touted out for £4,000 in cash. This was, again, a case of crossed wires. Terry patiently explained that he had no knowledge of the proposed transaction and that he was an innocent victim of circumstances beyond his control.

Some may wonder how it is possible for a man who is (according to his commercial agents) an outstanding leader to be misunderstood so often; how it is possible that so many money-making scams, dodgy transactions and reprehensible outbursts are attributed to a man who is so morally upstanding. But perhaps we should put these questions to one side, at least for the moment, because we have barely scratched the surface of Terry's misfortune.

As recently as Monday, it was reported that Terry had failed to show up to the opening of a reptile shop in Surrey (I am not making this up). Two hundred and fifty people were apparently left disappointed. But this was not a case of forgetfulness or a breach of promise; it was another misunderstanding. "I had not agreed to attend the opening of this or any other shop today," Terry proclaimed. "I had been asked if I would consider the opportunity and declined on two separate occasions. I very much regret any distress or disappointment that may have been suffered by the public."

Perhaps the most infamous misunderstanding occurred during the summer of 2009, when Manchester City came along with a big offer for the Chelsea centre half. Many players would have grabbed the money, others would have stayed put. But Terry came up with a different ploy. He kept schtum for almost the entire summer, using the offer to squeeze an improved offer from Chelsea (reported to be about £150,000 a week). "Good luck to him," many of us thought. "There is nothing wrong with maximising one's income". But, once again, we had it all wrong. According to Terry, who enjoys his reputation as a stalwart of Stamford Bridge, he had never contemplated going to City and it was merely a coincidence that Chelsea offered a whopping pay rise. As yet another public statement told us: "I am totally committed to Chelsea and always have been." Quite how anybody came to any other conclusion was, it seemed, beyond him. Indeed, looking at Terry's career in the round, it is difficult to find a single episode where he has been in the wrong.

What looks like dodgy behaviour is merely a case of not knowing all the facts, or misinterpreting his motives, or failing to see the bigger picture. Other episodes include when he parked in a disabled bay, urinated into a beer glass outside a nightclub and insulted American tourists in the aftermath of 9/11. Of course, suspicious people have, on occasions, doubted Terry's explanations.

If the money for the training ground tour was destined for charity, why was he so keen to keep it secret? As the cash was handed to Tony Bruce, a ticket tout who apparently pocketed £2,000 for acting as the broker, Terry said: "If the club finds out, it's a little bit . . . you know." Later, when more trips were discussed, Terry said: "Yeah, but you brief them that they don't speak to no one. Cos if anyone finds out, then we can't do it no more."

Others point out that almost every case of "misinterpretation" is also a case of Terry calling someone else a liar. Terrence Clark, the reptile shop owner, did not miss the implication. "That's an absolute lie," he said in response to Terry's statement. "It wasn't a publicity stunt. He had agreed to come. You saw everything I did today, bringing out the snakes and sweets and stuff for the kids because I felt so bad. He was supposed to be there but he didn't show." Either way, what seems clear is that there are really only two possible views to have of Terry. One is that he is the most misunderstood man in Britain, someone who has endured an astonishing run of bad luck and misinterpretation. The other is that he is an odious and reprehensible chancer who should never have been appointed (or reappointed) to the England captaincy. Make your own minds up.

One is that he is the most misunderstood man in Britain, someone who has endured an astonishing run of bad luck and misinterpretation. The other is that he is an odious and reprehensible chancer who should never have been appointed (or reappointed) to the England captaincy. Make your own minds up.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, which could it be?

What it boils down to is calling a black player a black cunt make you a racist??

Of course it does. The clear inference is that it is bad to be black. It's being used as an insult. Maybe if he said "You silly black sausage" you could argue it was a term of endearment. But unfortunately for Terry, he called another professional a "fucking black cunt". There is not a word in there that is meant any way other than negatively.

What it boils down to is calling a black player a black cunt make you a racist??

If you were using it to distinguish between two cunts it might not be. For instance, "that black guy over there" is probably not racist because it's a simple way to identify someone. However if you use it in a pejorative way it is almost certainly racist. "Fucking black cunt" is clearly racist.

What I'm wondering about Terry's excuse is why he would need to repeat the term to reassure Ferdinand that he hadn't said it. Surely most people's instinct would be to say something along the lines of "I would never say anything like that."

Edited by zigackly

The Metropolitan Police have launched a formal investigation into allegations that Chelsea captain John Terry racially abused QPR's Anton Ferdinand.

Terry, 30, has categorically denied aiming a racist slur at defender Ferdinand during Chelsea's 1-0 loss at Loftus Road on 23 October.

The Police spent a week "assessing" a complaint from a member of the public before launching their investigation.

The Football Association are also looking into the incident.

Some viewers claimed video replays from the match at Loftus Road showed Terry using racist language, while the Football Association said it had received a complaint.

A Metropolitan Police statement said: "Police were notified of an incident on Sunday October 23 involving alleged racial abuse. This is currently being investigated by officers from Hammersmith and Fulham."

If somebody more able than me can find it, there's a passage in Graham Poll's autobiography that suggests Terry was worried that he'd sent him off during that game for something more than just gobbing off. He visited Poll's dressing room after the game to clarify why he'd been sent off. The implication was that he was worried it was for racist abuse.

A basic grasp of linguistics will point to Terry's guilt.

Whould a person ever say "Oi, Anton, Anton, I didn't call you a 'fucking black cunt'."

Or would they say, "Oi, Anton, Anton, I didn't fucking call you a 'black cunt'."

There's no way an angry person in a verbal exchange would "quote verbatim" themselves. "Oi, Anton, Anton, I didn't call you (and I quote) a 'fucking black cunt'." (Whilst doing 'rabbit ears' around their quotation). It just doesn't stack up.

Guilty as charged.

As said earlier, the real question is, is calling someone a "fucking black cunt" racist. I think most right-minded people would say it is.

Hang him out to dry.

He hasn't categorically denied it at all! He's admitted it but said he didn't mean it. Hard to know if that's true or not.

Didn't he admit to saying "filching black cunt" but in the context of saying "I didn't call you a fucking bl........"

I think it's not looking particularly good for Terry. What an asswipe.

Syed's article is excellent.

Its a strange one that such a vile cunt, and obviously well documented vile cunt is still considered some what of a hero.

I mean the press have dragged up all manner of shite about him, yet hes still regarded as a proper good footballing hero. The press certainly are strange, some might say they behave as if they almost have agendas they wish to pursue.

But no surely not! That'd just be silly thinking such a thing.

put a lighted tyre round the cunt's neck and burn him until he's dead, then do a big shit on his remains. That's possbily a suggestion that others might make.

This morning I saw a man on a bike stop at some traffic lights then perform a full nazi salute with a finger under his nose. He held the pose until the lights changes, then he went on his way.

He didn't look like Robin Van Persie.