You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hurricane Katia

lfcwonderboy1

xrsci.png

As you can see hurricane katia might pay the uk a visit early next week, still as a cat one.. in the pic you can see the predicted path... Also the golf stream... my bet would be its northerly track will change and that point and hit the uk... very least scotland wil get hit by it.

Surpriced its not been mentioned in the news yet.

Guest ShoePiss
xrsci.png

As you can see hurricane katia might pay the uk a visit early next week, still as a cat one.. in the pic you can see the predicted path... Also the golf stream... my bet would be its northerly track will change and that point and hit the uk... very least scotland wil get hit by it.

Surpriced its not been mentioned in the news yet.

Yeah agree on Scotland, most likely St.Andrews.

Lower sea surface temps and wind shear is what kill these things. I would expect it to be ex-tropical by the time it hits here, nowhere near cat1, but saying that it still has quite a low pressure centre (965mb or thereabouts on the GFS charts) so the sea swell, combined with some still fairly strong wind, could be quite impressive.

"Apparently, someone posted on TLW and said they heard that there was a hurricane on the way. Well, don't worry, if you're watching, there isn't."

michael-fish.jpg

Lower sea surface temps and wind shear is what kill these things. I would expect it to be ex-tropical by the time it hits here, nowhere near cat1, but saying that it still has quite a low pressure centre (965mb or thereabouts on the GFS charts) so the sea swell, combined with some still fairly strong wind, could be quite impressive.

"Apparently, someone posted on TLW and said they heard that there was a hurricane on the way. Well, don't worry, if you're watching, there isn't."

michael-fish.jpg

Mr fish.. goes on a weather forum i go on, and he dos the weekly forecast. top guy

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=121446

That's sustained wind speed what happens from there is the key to where it goes.

I see the US National Hurricane Center (NHC) are passing over the duty over ex- Katia (or is that passing the buck?) to the UK MetO, not often you see that mentioned

KATIA WILL BE MOVING OVER WATER TEMPERATURES LESS THAN 22C BY 12HOURS...AND THE CYCLONE COULD BECOME EXTRATROPICAL AT THAT TIME.HOWEVER...THE LARGE CIRCULATION IS EXPECTED TO TRANSPORT WARMUNSTABLE AIR SOUTH OF 40N LATITUDE NORTHWARD INTO THE EASTERNSEMICIRCLE...WHICH COULD HELP MAINTAIN CONVECTION A LITTLE LONGERTHAN USUAL FOR SYSTEMS AT SUCH A HIGH LATITUDE. REGARDLESS...TRANSITION TO AN EXTRATROPICAL CYCLONE SHOULD BE COMPLETED BY24 HOURS WHEN THE SYSTEM WILL HAVE MERGED WITH THE AFOREMENTIONEDCOLD FRONT AND BE OVER SSTS LESS THAN 20C. ALTHOUGH KATIA ISFORECAST TO WEAKEN BELOW HURRICANE FORCE BY 36 HOURS...THE LARGEEXTRATROPICAL LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM IS EXPECTED TO CONTAINSTORM-FORCE WINDS WHEN IT APPROACHES THE BRITISH ISLES IN 3 DAYS.INTERESTS IN AND AROUND THE BRITISH ISLES AND NORTHERN EUROPESHOULD MONITOR PRODUCTS ISSUED BY THE UKMET OFFICE ATWWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK/WEATHER/.

FSXX00T_84.jpg

Going to be a very interesting day, looks very windy and wonder about coastal flooding

The Bracknell progs are looking interesting, although the low is not quite as low as the GFS has them pegged.

UK Met Office - Europe MSLP Analysis and Prognosis

I had fucked internets last night, so I had to view the charts the old fashioned way, using WEFAX decoding software on the PC and a shortwave radio tuned to 4610Khz USB.

*nerd*

Mon 12 Sep

Day 20 °C WSW 22 mph 43 mph

Night 12 °C WSW 13 mph 25 mph

Tue 13 Sep

Day 18 °C WSW 18 mph 36 mph

Night 12 °C WSW 14 mph 28 mph

Wed 14 Sep

Day 19 °C W 14 mph 30 mph

Night 9 °C NW 6 mph

Not sounding bad by me,a little windy but not much.