You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

Guest Numero Veinticinco
No, you're totally nit-picking at everything in this thread. Just fucking let it go.

I think Chelsea and City have more to offer than us at this moment in time. (for a non LFC fan at least).

That's a valid opinion. What isn't an opinion is making up stats like '9 out of 10 players would join Chelsea'. It's nonsense, and to me it's important. Even if it were true, and all players were only after money, it still wouldn't make City a bigger club than Liverpool. To me, that's not nit picking, that's a big insult to the club I've supported for 25 years. It's an insult to people who think a club becomes big because a sheikh is splashing his cash.

You obviously think they don't. Opinions differ.

Firstly, I've not stated what I think. I've no idea which player would choose which club. Nor do you, and making up stats isn't an opinion. If you think that's petulance, that's fine. I don't.

Ok so perhaps I embellished a little. Do you really need to jump on it like this though?

There's probably 4 clubs in the world bigger than Liverpool, but that doesn't mean players would automatically choose us over the likes of City and Chelsea; who can offer bigger wages and better chances to win trophies. The majority of players would sacrifice the chance to play for a famous, fabled team like LFC for the chance of more moey and more trophies. Just look at Torres.

Ok so perhaps I embellished a little. Do you really need to jump on it like this though?

There are hundreds is not thousands of people on this forum. Some people prefer a clear presentation of an analysis. If they think the premise is weak, they'll say so. There's nothing wrong with that.

You can either respond to them or ignore them. It's just the nature of fora. Nothing personal.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

If it was something else, maybe not. Saying City is bigger than Liverpool is a bit like saying you've just arse raped my Nan, and she's dead. Your 9/10 example was adding fuel to that particular fire. Nobody can make these statements with any sort of accuracy.

There's probably 4 clubs in the world bigger than Liverpool, but that doesn't mean players would automatically choose us over the likes of City and Chelsea

I'm not saying it does, Moof. Some players go to clubs for prestige, club size, future prospects, boyhood support, the visibility of playing for a top club, and some go for money, city location, etc.

who can offer bigger wages and better chances to win trophies. The majority of players would sacrifice the chance to play for a famous, fabled team like LFC for the chance of more moey and more trophies. Just look at Torres.

I don't accept that City offers a greater chance of a trophy, but if we're giving examples, Tevez, who would have been a prime example of grabbing the cash rather than staying with United, wants to get out to play for a more famous club. Adebayor, wants a bigger club too.

I think taking guesses at why any player would want to join a certain club is strange. We've attracted many a player when other clubs have been in. I wish people would stop talking about us as if we were nobodies. We're not.

It's clear to anyone with a brain cell that Liverpool are a bigger club than City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and 99.9% of other clubs.

However, realistically we have to recognise that currently many of the clubs who we are bigger than are more attractive to certain players. Many players now have grown up in the late 80s/90s, they haven't witnessed the dominant successful juggernaut that we were as a club for the past 20 years. They've grown up with Man United and Arsenal, and in the past decade Chelsea. We've had some great moments in the past twenty years but history will say that we have underachieved given our 20 years of unbroken success before the birth of the PL.

These clubs are in the Champions League year in year out. United, Chelsea and City can offer better wages than we can at the moment. That's not me being defeatist or negative, it's being realistic. Many players are short sighted, they will chase short term success and wealth. We are beginning a new potentially great chapter in our history, there is an ambitious project to offer players but many are too impatient and would look beyond that at the alternative offer of a higher likelihood of instant success. Liverpool are huge, absolutely huge, top 2 or 3 clubs worldwide historically. But if we take out the romanticism of that, to me it's sadly clear that we are not currently as attractive a proposition as a few of our smaller rivals. Let's hope that changes in the next 12months.

It's was all right when you came in the thread a few weeks or so ago calling people mongs for have a different opinion on Downing to yours though. Fucking hypocrite.

The biggest concern with only signing young players, is that we need players that can push us on now, rather than in a few years.

Over the past few years we've lost Hyypia,Alonso and Mascherano without replacing them properly. Kyrgiakos,Aquilani and Poulsen were bought in but are obviously much poorer quality.

This summer we must get the right balance of signing promising players such as Henderson, but also bring in quality players that can go straight into the first team.

It's clear to anyone with a brain cell that Liverpool are a bigger club than City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and 99.9% of other clubs.

However, realistically we have to recognise that currently many of the clubs who we are bigger than are more attractive to certain players. Many players now have grown up in the late 80s/90s, they haven't witnessed the dominant successful juggernaut that we were as a club for the past 20 years. They've grown up with Man United and Arsenal, and in the past decade Chelsea. We've had some great moments in the past twenty years but history will say that we have underachieved given our 20 years of unbroken success before the birth of the PL.

These clubs are in the Champions League year in year out. United, Chelsea and City can offer better wages than we can at the moment. That's not me being defeatist or negative, it's being realistic. Many players are short sighted, they will chase short term success and wealth. We are beginning a new potentially great chapter in our history, there is an ambitious project to offer players but many are too impatient and would look beyond that at the alternative offer of a higher likelihood of instant success. Liverpool are huge, absolutely huge, top 2 or 3 clubs worldwide historically. But if we take out the romanticism of that, to me it's sadly clear that we are not currently as attractive a proposition as a few of our smaller rivals. Let's hope that changes in the next 12months.

is fucking right.

No mate, you've got it all wrong, we're signing Aguero!

The biggest concern with only signing young players, is that we need players that can push us on now, rather than in a few years.

Over the past few years we've lost Hyypia,Alonso and Mascherano without replacing them properly. Kyrgiakos,Aquilani and Poulsen were bought in but are obviously much poorer quality.

This summer we must get the right balance of signing promising players such as Henderson, but also bring in quality players that can go straight into the first team.

We signed Torres, Alonso and Mascherano whilst relatively young players. Players of this quality are what we need and I dont believe they're out of our reach, if we are prepared to pay the necessary price. Sign them with vast potential and let them blossom!