You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Torres mega-thread

cole7

There is, surprisingly, unlikely to be quite the resistance from the Liverpool faithful that would have greeted such a prospect even last summer.

There has been a feeling all season that Torres has been angling to get away and his form has been, frankly, poor, with many already expressing the opinion that the club should cash in.

No media agenda at all.

Jason Burt - whom i know and can vouch for - has said that Kenny has made crystal clear to Fenway SG today that he doesn't want Torres sold, and that he'll see a sale as undermining his position. He's writing a piece for tomorrow's Telegraph with an update.

That suggests that there aren't any clauses in his contract that will allow him to leave in January. If that's true what Kenny is alledged to have said, then fair play.

Please, please, please everyone ease off Torres. He hasn't said he wants to leave yet - the only official information we have is that Chelsea made a bid and Liverpool have said Torres is not for sale. Don't turn against the lad before he's left - instead give him more reason to stay. Much easier to leave a club when the fans are turning against you. Even if he is having a wobble - let him get on with it - trust in the Club and the people around him to bring him back to his senses. It happened with Gerrard, Kenny, Rush - some stayed and some left - even Shankly left and the Club went on. The Club has always been bigger than the player, and the fans have always been bigger than player.

We need to start being a big club again, if Torres goes so be it, we only want players who can wear the shirt with honour and be proud to be part of LFC. We want players with the mindset that they are serving a special club and to a cause much bigger than their own careers. If Torres can no longer give that passion to LFC then let him go, but lets not be fickel like Chelsea fans, Arsenal or the Mancs - lets be dignfied on how we treat him. If he left in this window - he's still given us 4 years decent service during the worst time in LFC's modern history. I'll be gutted if he goes, but give the lad a break - my gut feel is he's going nowhere, but I'm certain that anyone who loves the club should be rallying round him and not despising him because of usual dross on Sky Sports and comments from 'king of vagueness' Guillem Ballague.

He said recently he had been struggling for finding out info in regards to LFC. Strange everyone is now feeding off the same information.

Yeah but Nando isn't going to be able to talk about other transfers is he? He probably wouldn't even know. I don't think it's such a push to imagine he can ring or text Torres to ask and then get a response, which will take a couple of minutes. Especially if they're both clear that Tony doesn't reveal it's him he's spoken to, like he's probably done many times in the past.

Its absolutely clear he wants to leave.

Then we do a deal with him where he can go in the summer. Which gives us four months to scout a replacement. The worst possible thing is a big-money panic-buy now.

He's under contract. He cannot force us to sell him at the first, mediocre bid (Jason Burt is saying the initial bid was actually far less than £30m!)

Yeah but Nando isn't going to be able to talk about other transfers is he? He probably wouldn't even know. I don't think it's such a push to imagine he can ring or text Torres to ask and then get a response, which will take a couple of minutes. Especially if they're both clear that Tony doesn't reveal it's him he's spoken to, like he's probably done many times in the past.

Fair enough mate and it wasn't a pop at Tony as I like him as a journalist.

Three days before a transfer window yoyu have an intelligent, proven Premiership goalscorer to tide you over till the summer, and £40m to get some targets in the summer. It's mind boggling people wouldn't consider it.

£40mill and a 31 year old to "tide" us over. No thanks. For that kind a deal he should be forced to stay till the summer.