You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kenny's Everton press conference.

Captain Turdseye

The talk about potential transfer targets doesn't sound very optimistic. Saying he's happy with the squad. This worries me, are FSG saying behind the scenes that they're waiting until a new manager comes in before they'll splash the cash?

Kenny Everton press conference - Liverpool FC

Will it be an emotional day for you on Sunday - first game back at Anfield?

Yes, it'll be emotional but so was last year's derby. This year I'll be a bit closer to the pitch. It's a fantastic occasion irrespective of the personalities involved. Walking up the steps again towards the dugout is something I'm really looking forward to.

Does the Merseyside derby still mean as much or has the Liverpool v Man Utd game superseded it?

Not for me. They say Manchester United v Liverpool is a derby but I don't see that - I see it as a competitive football match. A derby is best described as two teams from the same city playing each other. This is a city that can be very proud of the two clubs it's got and the way they've handled themselves over the years. They've not been as successful as everyone would have liked in recent years but they are still a great credit to the city, and when it was City of Culture here a couple of years ago it was fitting that football played a big part of it - because football in this city is culture. Both clubs will be equally determined to get a result but we're really looking forward to the game. We know how important it is for our players to get a positive result and we know how much it would lift the fans. Despite the fact there aren't as many local players or English players these days, I don't think that dilutes any of them knowing the importance of the game. But it's not just this game that's important for this football club - it's every game.

How do you go about restoring the players' self-belief?

To encourage them. Obviously we'll make mistakes and we'll try to correct them but the great thing the players have in their favour is that they are going to be the ones who dictate how quickly they get self-belief back. The best way to do it is to start winning matches. The sooner we do that, the quicker the confidence will come. There is a big difference between a lack of confidence and complacency. We just need a bit of confidence.

Didi Hamann said to us this morning that the loser on Sunday could get dragged into a relegation battle. Do you see this one game as being that crucial?

Didi has made that statement, why don't you ask him to justify it? We're going out to win game. Where it takes us at this moment in time isn't particularly relevant. It's where you are at the end of the season when you add up the points that's the most relevant thing. Every week there is a different story to be told.

Not for four seasons have both derbies gone without a red card. Is the balance between passion and not over stepping the mark - is that the key to success in a derby?

Nowadays if you say 'Good morning' to someone you've got a chance of getting a red card. It's a wee bit different to a few years ago. You can't blame players for being passionate and committed. They've been highly criticised for not being passionate and committed. If there is a bit of understanding from the officials I'm sure it would ease things along a wee bit.

What did you make of Ryan Babel being charged over the Twitter post?

I thought I answered that earlier in the week?

The charge came after...

Well we spoke about it before. He never drew it up. He just... I don't know, I might say the wrong word here. I'll just say he just forwarded it - is that right? [smiles]

You're getting used to Twitter, aren't you?

No, only when she asks me for a cup of tea. No, Ryan has got to be responsible. If you're going to be on Twitter you've got to be responsible and you know the repercussions if you say or do something that's contentious. As I say, I think it was a bit tongue in cheek and it wasn't his creation, but he's apologised unreservedly to the referee. For me, I'm sure the club will take some action I would have thought and that should be finished with it.

The owners are coming over for the Merseyside derby - are you having talks with them and are there any new players on the agenda?

Well, it would be rude not to talk to them since they employ us! We'll be having a conversation. I don't know what will be on the agenda, but we'll be having a conversation. As I said to you the other day, I'm delighted with the players we have here and there is no movement one way or another about players.

There are reports today that you are looking at new players...

I've just told you there is no movement in any way, shape or form for any players. I don't know who has written what because I have not had time to look at the papers. But it must be true! [Laughs]

If you were to get a sizeable transfer budget for this month, do you think that would be a sign that they are looking at you long term?

We have not even had a conversation about it, so there is no way I am going to pre-judge anything that is going to happen because if no players come in, you'll say I'm getting my P45, so I can't win. We'll take it as it comes and as soon as we have anything to report to anybody then we won't be trying to keep any secrets or withhold any news that we think is beneficial and helpful to everybody. We're not trying to be obtrusive in any way, shape or form - it's just a fact.

How are you looking squad wise Kenny? Any other problems?

There's only Carra (injured), I think. There are a couple who are maybe a bit stiff, but there's only Carra.

You talked last week about trying to put a smile back on the players' faces. How big a job is that? Have you ever managed a group of players who are so short on confidence?

I've managed groups of players that have been worse than this, that's a certainty. As I said before, results will get them confidence. But also the way they work, the way they go about their training, and the way they've gone about both matches although they've not been positive. The second goal (against Blackpool) is something we can do to help ourselves, but I don't think they (the players) have had the benefit of too many fortuitous decisions either. Every team that has ever been successful has always needed a bit of good fortune - and we need a little bit of good fortune. But we've got to believe in ourselves and work hard enough to get that good fortune to turn our way.

Would this be the perfect occasion on which to get it?

Well certainly it would be fitting if we did get it and the only reason I'd say it would be perfect is because it's the next game up for them (the players). They've worked very hard in training.Their effort, dedication, commitment and desire to be successful is excellent. They've got to transmit that onto the pitch now. If it was to be a victory for us on Sunday then I suppose you would describe it as perfect - but then the season doesn't finish on Sunday.

But a derby win is not just any win...

A derby win would give them, the supporters of Liverpool and everybody a great lift, but would only still give us three points and we've got another game coming up the following week that we will want to get three points from too. We understand what the derby is all about, the people will hopefully understand we want to go and win it, but they've also got to understand it's three points.

Taken this from the offal site. It cannot be better explained for me personally about Kennys press conference today. Hope this helps you in some way.

Lets get one thing straight. What Kenny says to the press and what is actually true are two entirely different things. Kenny will play the press like a fiddle.

Kenny will express to the press that hes happy, because he will never publicly disrespect his players in public, certainly not to the vultures. So he will keep smiling. Privately, he will be ruthlessly devising his cull.

On transfers, He will say he doesnt know whats happening, and play aloof, when really he will be very much up to his neck in what is happening.

Example, when asked by the press about who he was bringing in he replied ive just stepped off the plane i havent given it a thought.

Then steve clarke today kenny called him after the manchester united game to offer him the job.

Now, the rumour had been flying around for a day via tony barret. im no sherlock but you get the jist.

Basically Kenny dalglish is too long in the tooth. And this is how liverpool have played the press in the good old days. Nothing comes out, tell the press nothing play aloof. The liverpool Way.

Just so some of the younger generation dont get too frustrated, believe me when i tell you. Things will be happening behind the scenes to move this club forward sooner rather than later. So get used to kennys almost sarcastic approach to the press - sit back and enjoy.

Finally the liverpool way returns.

Cheers, I am from the 'Younger generation'. Don't think I could handle us not signing anyone this month. We need a complete squad overhaul but in the short term, new faces can freshen things up and most of them need that kick up the arse.

I suppose we'll see at the end of the month.

Very true I would be surprised if we did not sign anyone put it that way but just always bare in mind Kenny will never give anything away to the press, he is probably the best at letting the press think what they want and say what they want without him having to say anything. He chooses his words wisely and the press will never catch him out unlike Roy ever 5 minutes as he would.

Kenny is definitely what all fans consider the Liverpool way. Until he has someone sitting next to him or their is an official report to say we have signed such and such, you will get frig all out of him and why I love listening to him. Am not old myself or part of the older generation but read enough around to know what Kenny is up to. :smile:

Fingers crossed we have couple of players to rejuvenate ourselves.