You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Johnson vs bale

LFC 6 Times

This is going to be a huge test for Glen. If he can keep his concentration and confidence I fully believe he can quash the myth about him not being able to defend. We've come up many great players over the years, players who've done alot more in their careers but Bale is the one I'm least looking foward to playing hopefully Glen can put in a performance like against Di maria and giggs last season.

On the other hand Lennon vs Koncheskey may be a recipe for disaster

We should look at playing Carra at right back with Johnson in front of him.

Or Kelly with Johnson in front of him. If it will be a Johnson v. Bale encounter, I believe we will see another absolute roasting, ala Maicon a couple of weeks back. We need a defender against Bale, not an attacking full back. IMO.

Bale is a good player with the potential to be a World Class player (probably at another club). He has given two unbelievable performances in the Champions League and it wasn't for them there would not be near as much hype from the media. In the league he has been a little bit inconsistent - drifting in and out of matches and getting completely marked out of it by Rafael and Phil Fucking Neville.

I don't know how we'll setup against Spurs. If Gerrard was fit, we'd setup with him playing off Torres, so I don't know what will happen now. If it's Lucas and Poulsen I'll fucking cry. Just remembered Joe Cole might be fit, so he'll probably play in Gerrard's role.

I think Glen will be fine - In fact I think he'll be MORE than fine - He'll mark Gareth out of the game - Why? Well 2 reasons really; 1:) Spurs have a CL game in the week with Gareth no doubt going out to impress on his favourite stage again which WILL leave him tired for Sunday and Since he struggles facing PROPER markers who have the speed/nous to keep up with him or block off his space? I think Glen will certainly keep up with him due to 1) and could mark out the space he usually runs into as well if he's smart and 2)?

Well 2:) is the fact that Basically I believe next week against the latest media darling player (ala think the likes of Henry, Van Nistlerooy and Ronaldo in recent years)? and more pertinently one who Glen will be facing AGAIN for England come March when they travel to Cardiff - Johnson might just up his game; Especially with regard to the England - Wales factor; Basically, because of that little fact? I actually think Glen will go all out to snuff out Bale and prove a point to Capello as well as his manager which could be worth an extra 10% added to his game - A 10% that against a TIRED Bale? Will prove all the difference. I also think Redknapp's ridiculous assertion that Tottenham can win the league will make Spurs more aggressive in home matches despite sapped energy levels from the CL and that could prove their undoing to sides with pace on the counter.........Like us - Who knows? Maybe the game could be decided by how Bale marks Johnson rather than vice versa? Don't forget Johnson tore Spurs up on the right last season to win a penalty down there - perhaps it's Bale whose facing a big exam come Sunday and Not Johnson.

Either way, I'll end by saying I believe Glen Johnson will be fine against Gareth Bale as far as THAT little contest goes - However the centre of our midfield and our chronic inability to defend Properly away from home? Well they're quite another matter and NEED improving............Rapidly if we're to do anything other than be the PL's 'Away' match laughing stock this season. Anyway, all will resolve itself soon enough either way, we shall see soon enough what happens at White Heart Lane - I've a feeling it might turn out rather better than many of us think and we DO owe them after all for the last 2 seasons at their dump (Especially the robbery in 2008/09 that without being dramatic? Probably cost us a title) - Now? It's past time to collect and on Sunday we might do just that. It's about time we reasserted ourselves on the road in dramatic fashion and next Sunday is our chance to do just That and then some................

Edited by Redshadow

Neville done a job on Bale, Bale is a good player but the media are going mad now

Is the right answer.

He had 2 amazing games, both of which were against the same RB who is vastly overrated yet the media are going mental over him. Neville who is'nt the quickest did a job over him so i think Johnson with Dirk on the right also should be able to keep him quiet.

I think Johnson against Assou-Ekotto weight more in our favour as his positioning and defensive capabilites are'nt that great so Johnson should have a good time against him.

Maicon got desroyed by Bale cos he was always high up the pitch with loads of space for Bale to just kick it past him.

We'll defend on the edge of our own box, like we always do away under Roy, so Bale shouldn't be as effective.

Being that deep, we'll do fuck all going forward either, though.