You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2011 Transfer Window Speculation Thread

StevieH

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For Bascobme to know this he would

A) have to know the player concerned ?

B) Spoken to the players agent

C) Have contacts within the club that confirm this is the case

Im not saying this is or is not the case but if we are chasing a player who would improve us then other teams would also be interested if a player chooses another club over us its easier to say that it was the doubts about long term Managers job rather than Club X offered us 20k a week more and a house and being greedy fuckers we went with the money

I might be wrong here but doesn't Young have a release clause set around if a top club offers a certain amount he can leave i'm not sure if it was 12m but remember it being said and it was the reason for him signing a new contract

I have also been impressed with what i have seen of Chris Brunt this season would be a much better player, playing with better players,

Both players would improve us, but having said that Bella Emburg in wellies would improve us on the left just now.

As for Downing and his valuation that is set by what clubs are willing to pay and what his club are willing to except

If there is only one buyer then the price falls but if there are a number of clubs chasing the fee goes up but if the player has a clause in his contract set at a certain fee then that will be the top price he goes for

If the selling club wants rid again that effects the value its pointless trying to guess what price a player will be available at without knowing these facts just remember to this time a few years ago when a player was on a plane to come and sign when the deal was called off

Just sayin watch for the team news tomorrow for villa and see if any of them two are left out,now im not sayin one will sign but if..... you just dont know.

Apparently Bascombe has said that players and agents have let Comolli know that they do not wish to join us without clarification of who the long term manager will be.

I am not suprised to be hearing this to be honest. With so much uncertainty surrounding the club you cannot blame players for not wanting to join us.

This might be a blessing in disguise. I know we're all desperate right now but the names linked are simply not good enough for where we want to go. There's a reason Villa kept finishing 6th despite spending fuckloads of money and it was because they signed mid-table-standard players with low talent ceilings. Not that Young is necessarily a mid-table player but he's definitely overpriced given he's never shown any hint of world-class ability.

Guest San Don

According to the sunday manc, suarez is interested in us, jovanovic is off to Trabsonspor and babel off to hoffenhiem

Probably a load of bollocks.

Guest the boy

Even though he writes for the Sunday S*n he articles have less bullshit in them than many other respected 'journos'

Shame he writes for them though, like.

Generally, no they don't.

For he who suggested signing Wright Phillips and Warnock to permanent deals, we may as well set alight the money.

Suarez paves the way for Anfield switch as Babel nears the exit door

Published 23:00 15/01/11 By Simon Mullock

Luis Suarez, the £20million-rated Ajax striker, has paved the way for a move to Liverpool.

Anfield boss Kenny *Dalglish is meeting owner John W Henry over the weekend to finalise plans for the final fortnight of the transfer *window.

And the scene is set for the Uruguay international to *arrive as Ryan Babel heads out of Merseyside with clubs in England and Germany *pursuing him.

Suarez shares the same agent as Fernando Torres and has asked him to find out if clubs are interested in *signing him this month.

Liverpool and Tottenham lead the chase, but the *Spanish-speaking connection at *Anfield could prove a *critical attraction.

Suarez is the kind of busy, *skillful player who *creates openings for team-mates, which Torres will welcome, as well as scoring goals *himself.

He formed a formidable partnership at last summer’s World Cup with Diego Forlan that took Uruguay through to the semi-finals.

The striker is at Ajax’s winter training camp in Turkey. He has had a meeting with coach Frank de Boer and they accept the moment has arrived for the South *American to move on if the Amsterdam club get an acceptable offer.

De Boer explained: “I’ve had a showdown with Luis.

“I wanted to know what his plans are and what the future will bring. Luis is training hard. He told me that if a big club comes in for him now he is ready to talk to them.”

And De Boer admitted: “I’ve a back-up scenario ready.”

Clearly, the critical issue will revolve around how much the Anfield owners make available to Dalglish, but Babel looks certain to leave for around £8m.

Fulham and West Ham from the Premier League have declared their interest.

But sources in Germany believe the Holland star is set to move to the Bundesliga and accept a £65,000 a-week deal with Hoffenheim, who are owned by software m*illionaire Dietmar Hopp.

Schalke also want Babel, but won’t be able to match Hoffenheim’s personal terms.

Certainly Babel, who is facing an FA disrepute *enquiry for posting a twitter of referee Howard Webb wearing a Manchester *United shirt, has decided he’s spending too long on the Liverpool subs’ bench.

But as Dalglish attempts to rebuild the flagging squad he inherited, the key *January signing will be Suarez.

Earlier this season, Suarez – who conceded a last gasp penalty in the World Cup quarter-final that denied Ghana glory – revealed: “If I move I want to join a real football club where they play good, attacking *football.

“I will decline any offer from clubs like Shakhtar Donetsk or Saint *Petersburg where they offer you sacks full of money.’

“I’ve an *obsession to win *trophies.

“I am a South American with the mentality to win.

“This is why I was not ashamed to put my hand up on the goal-line in the World Cup.

“They called it the hand of the devil, but I really don’t care.”

Transfer news: Luis Suarez paves the way for Liverpool move, as Ryan Babel nears the exit door - News - MirrorFootball.co.uk

Don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere but I'm watching MOTD and they just said that Kenny was at the Wigan-Fulham game today. We're playing both soon-ish so it might just be to do with that, but this is the second time we've watched Wigan recently. I really hope it's N'Zogbia we're looking at because none of their other players would be that useful to us right now. Rodallega maybe - and to be fair he appeared to have a good game - but I'm not sure he is right for us.

nzogbia and suarez would certainly help out the attacking problems and would certainly free up more space for Torres.

I wonder why we aren't being linked with any good central midfielders? A lot of people seem to think we need help there and LL and Raul aren't good enough together. Somebody like Banega or Javi Martinez?

Don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere but I'm watching MOTD and they just said that Kenny was at the Wigan-Fulham game today. We're playing both soon-ish so it might just be to do with that, but this is the second time we've watched Wigan recently. I really hope it's N'Zogbia we're looking at because none of their other players would be that useful to us right now. Rodallega maybe - and to be fair he appeared to have a good game - but I'm not sure he is right for us.

Makes sense if Babel is off.

N'Zogbia is the player that Babel should have been.

I suppose £12m + Babel for Suarez would be a decent piece of business , but it's sorting the wide positions that I think would give us most bang for our buck .

Nzogbia for the left & SWP on loan for the right would make us a totally different proposition to my mind.

Wright-Philips Lucas Meireles Nzogbia

Gerrard

Torrres

We would still have Kuyt, Cole, Ngog & Pacheco when required & it gives us a much stronger bench without spending much of summer's needed warchest ( If we sold Babel it would probably only be a couple of million net spend).

Guest TesticleOReilly
I suppose £12m + Babel for Suarez would be a decent piece of business , but it's sorting the wide positions that I think would give us most bang for our buck .

Nzogbia for the left & SWP on loan for the right would make us a totally different proposition to my mind.

Wright-Philips Lucas Meireles Nzogbia

Gerrard

Torrres

We would still have Kuyt, Cole, Ngog & Pacheco when required & it gives us a much stronger bench without spending much of summer's needed warchest ( If we sold Babel it would probably only be a couple of million net spend).

Cole's on £90K a week and has had 3 good seasons in 12. Sell the fucker while he's under contract, and make a few quid on him.