You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dirk

Jones, Nicol, Barnes, McManaman, Molby, Redknapp, Whelan, Fowler and Rush.

Which of those wouldn't get in the squad Rafa left behind?

In their pomp I would say most of em, but at the time souness took over Nicol, Whelan, Rush and Barnes had all had their day. So none of them. Redknapp wouldn't full stop.

Out of those lot you mentioned I think Mcmanaman, Fowler, Jones and possibly Molby would get a game. Thats four fuckin players out of the entire Graeme Souness squad.

BTW none of those players you mentioned where signed by Graeme Souness.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In their pomp I would say most of em, but at the time souness took over Nicol, Whelan, Rush and Barnes had all had their day. So none of them. Redknapp wouldn't full stop.

Out of those lot you mentioned I think Mcmanaman, Fowler, Jones and possibly Molby would get a game. Thats four fuckin players out of the entire Graeme Souness squad.

BTW none of those players you mentioned where signed by Graeme Souness.

I never said they were. My point is that no Liverpool manager has inherited such a poor squad since Shankly. That is the legacy the "genius" has left behind.

I never said they were. My point is that no Liverpool manager has inherited such a poor squad since Shankly. That is the legacy the "genius" has left behind.

Poor? No.

Underperforming? Yes.

And poorest squad since Shankly? Really?

Guest PurpleNose

No it isn't.

But that just it he never did though did he.

A team with Reina, Mascherano, Torres, Agger, Skrtel and Kuyt in is a stronger squad then one that had Diouf, Heskey, Baros and Murphy. Or a squad that had Saunders, Pienchnik, Kozma, Walters or Babb, Dicks and Ruddock in it either.

As I said earlier in the thread I know there wass a stroke with the keane money which was probably earmarked for Jovetic, it still does'nt justify the awful signings in both those summers, how he ever though Dossena was gona work in the prem, same for Aqualani. Robbie Keane £20m while selling Bellamy a year earlier for £8m?

I know the owners are the main problem, but Rafa benitez has to take the blame for the big money failures in the transfer market, as he deservedly takes the credit for the succes for some of his earlier signings Alonso, Riena etc

first - it wasn't just the keane money, was it? it's not as if that was the one little 'stroke' the owners pulled...unless i'm being unkind and they're only duplicitous parsimonious twats on very very rare occasions.

second - bellamy went to part fund torres, another signing that rafa can take credit for - and not one of his earlier signings either - i know that spoils your point about him doing well at first than messing it all up. sorry. I'd take torres over bellamy any day - your opinion is your own and i fully respect it. it comes back to the same question though - why does a team like liverpool have to sell in order to buy? and remember - we only had bellamy in the first place because finances meant that we had to gamble on mid price players. and while i quite liked him while he was here, the fact remains that if you continually have to gamble, you're often going to fall short.

Dossena was just one of those gambles, a stop gap to plug a hole in the squad. i don't think he was ever intended to be more than that. didn't work, but it was by no means certain that he'd fail

third - aquilani. we just don't know how well a fully fit and acclimatised aquilani would have done in a benitez team. may have been great. may have flopped. we just don't know, so it's a tad disingenuous using him as an example of an outright failure.

Guest TK-421
The same people arguing the same over and over in thread after thread. Very very tiresome.

Kuyt is pretty good at football, wouldn't you agree?

How would any of us to be able to argue against that eh? We are all a hell of a lot younger than you.

In fact hang on I'll have a go.

We were a Second Division side when Shanks took over, so no the squad isn't anywhere near as bad is it. Your just acting the fool here.

Once again a post from you that is severely lacking substance.

EDIT: I would say Souness' legacy was a hell of a lot worse. Gargantuan proportions to be precise.

But that just it he never did though did he.

A team with Reina, Mascherano, Torres, Agger, Skrtel and Kuyt in is a stronger squad then one that had Diouf, Heskey, Baros and Murphy. Or a squad that had Saunders, Pienchnik, Kozma, Walters or Babb, Dicks and Ruddock in it either.

Jaysus mate thats selective is'nt it? Did we forget Hamann Hyppia Finnan Henchoz?

Heskey was sold before Benitez arrived by the way.

I wish the guy all the best. He obviously loved the club.

He left Liverpool in a better state than he found it.

One season of regression does not discount the success he had. Established us a major force again. A team scaring the living daylights out of Real Madrid.

Today we are in a worse position without him.

Be fair, 10-12 miles from the centre of Liverpool is as good as living in Liverpool when you're from Madrid.
No it's not. Not ony did he live in a different county, there was an expanse of water to navigate to get there. Go and ask anyone from the Wirral if they live in Liverpool. We even had a play about it.

I doubt it, but the Inter experience will be interesting.

I'd take a fully focussed Benitez over anyone in the world, and he probably knows he can't take the piss over there.

IF he gets it right, IF we get ourselves sorted out and IF he genuinely wants to return, it wouldn't be the worst idea in the world.

Not very plausible obviously.

Fuck me have you been on the mushies?? The biggest issue has and always will be the pair of cunts at the top, the knives were out last season and yet again the attention was deflected from the real issue, due in no small part to the merry little band of followers the bellend at the news of the screws was leading a merry little dance.

That little shite took all the ire that should have been laid at the owners doors and laid it at the managers, due to what only the inside clique will ever be privy to.

He could have galvanised the fans behind the manager and the team last year, but I believe he carries more selfpride in the belief he got rid of Benitez, than how well the club are doing.