You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dirk

He's not coming back is he? Let's be honest like. Time to move on.

I doubt it, but the Inter experience will be interesting.

I'd take a fully focussed Benitez over anyone in the world, and he probably knows he can't take the piss over there.

IF he gets it right, IF we get ourselves sorted out and IF he genuinely wants to return, it wouldn't be the worst idea in the world.

Not very plausible obviously.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What are the chances Rafa will win with Inter this season? Pretty high IMO

What are the chances we will get forth place, regardless with Roy or someone else? Pretty low

There's your answer. With Rafa at lease, I would bet on us getting forth if he stayed this season

In my lifetime, Rafa is the only Liverpool manager who needed to be both a politician as well as a football manager and it undoubtedly took it's toll. Yes, he made some mistakes as he admits, and yes there were some awful performances last season, but that's the game. If he was allowed the luxury of just being a manager under supportive ownership - I'd fear for his health otherwise - then I'd have this man back immediately.

A man with class, he really does 'get us' and he deserved better than those two cancers. He just couldn't manage the team

And if he can't manage the team, what happens?

As much as I slate him, I will never slate his character. He always represented Liverpool FC in the wider world in an exemplary fashion. Unfortunately there were too many Rafa's Football Nightmares episodes on the pitch spread throughout his reign.

as so often at Liverpool, he wasn't allowed full control of the solution

You may argue he was.

No, he didn't get full control. He just negotiated a crippingly lucrative contract we couldn't afford (after several rejections), weaned his way to full control of the academy, transfer policy, ousted 2 Directors, made another resign, signed a forward, used him as a political tool in his time here, then kicked him out the door at the last possible minute, alienated then sold other players, and eventually got his full control of all on-field issues. There's only so much power and control a non-CEO of a football club can have. The return for all the bloodletting was 2 trophies in 6 years.

As I said before, no club issue divides us fans as much as him.

Edited by mypost

In my lifetime, Rafa is the only Liverpool manager who needed to be both a politician as well as a football manager and it undoubtedly took it's toll. Yes, he made some mistakes as he admits, and yes there were some awful performances last season, but that's the game. If he was allowed the luxury of just being a manager under supportive ownership - I'd fear for his health otherwise - then I'd have this man back immediately.

That was his problem he didnt need to be a politician, he chose to be because he thought it was the right thing to do.

He is a super intelegent man who couldnt just concentrate on football.

Id have him back only if Pako was part of the package, Xabi would never have left if Pako was still here.

That was his problem he didnt need to be a politician, he chose to be because he thought it was the right thing to do.

He is a super intelegent man who couldnt just concentrate on football.

Id have him back only if Pako was part of the package, Xabi would never have left if Pako was still here.

He didn't need to be a politician? Were you deaf and blind the whole time Rafa was here?

EVERY time he went to the press, its a retaliation or explanation after someone in the board leaked something to the press that puts his job in jeopardy

As for Xabi....

A) A player who moved due to being part of an exciting revolution at Real, higher taxes in England and clear instability in the club

or

B) Didn't want to fight for his place with Barry, Mascherano and Lucas.

Which is it? (A) would be the most logical answer, as I am sure you and I agree that Xabi won't be asking to leave Real as they continue to buy more and more quality players to fight for places.

Rafa, our last great manager

This! The guy was class, the guy was one of us. For all that last season was poor, when were we ever the type of club to sack a manager for just one poor season? (...and it isn't as if there weren't plenty of extenuating circumstances....!) He understood the club, loved the city. Hope he comes back.

Nice piece. His memory is a tad rose-tinted on his transfers and he should maybe hold his hands up to the handling of Xabi and Crouch, but he makes Woy look a football dinosaur.

Can't see him returning to LFC when even Dalglish can't get a second bite of the cherry.

Baffling, baffling comments,I really dont want to start slagging here and my views on that prick fanning have been very clear but the squad Rafa inherited in 2004 was much better than the 1 he left, the only ones that improved it were Torres and Reina, and the squad that started the 2005/2006 season is the best we had since 1990, after Torres/Yossi every signing he made failed and thats the reality of the situatin.

The truth is that Rafa's reds sent more players to the World Cup Finals - and to the Final itself - than any other Premiership side. Empirical evidence of a not-shit squad.

Do you really want a return to the days of Biscan, Traore, Diouf, Diao, Cheyrou, Le Tallec, etc? With no worthwhile youngsters coming through the Academy? It's madness to suggest that the shower of shit Houllier left can compare with the squad that Rafa built, without the support of the owners or the board.

What are the chances Rafa will win with Inter this season? Pretty high IMOWhat are the chances we will get forth place, regardless with Roy or someone else? Pretty lowThere's your answer. With Rafa at lease, I would bet on us getting forth if he stayed this season

Given that he's taken over the 5 times in a row league Champions and current European champions and first Italian team to do the treble, and the team he's taken over is fuckin light years better than anything else in the league I guess your right he is likely to win the league, in fact if he does'nt it's scandelous.

And given he left us in 7th place with a worst squad than he inherited I guess you could be right on that one also but not guarnteed,theres that word again guarntee, now run along

Not an awful lot of difference in Houllier's 60 point finale and Rafa's 63, both were exactly what we deserved and there was little indication that they'd have significantly improved things had they stayed. Squad comparisons are a moot point.

Houllier's was his second consecutive shit season, achieved with the full backing of the board.

Significant differences, I think.

And given he left us in 7th place with a worst squad than he inherited ....

you're serious, really? you honestly think the squad he inherited could have stuffed Real and the mancs back to back...because the squad he left was pretty much the one that did just that, the squad that amassed more points in a season than anyone since Kenny. (the fact that the squad he inherited did no such thing suggests that there is some weight to this assertion....) I'd lay any amount of money on the likes of Masch, Torres, Agger, Reina, etc taking on Diouf, Biscan, Diao, Kewell and friends - and ripping them a new one....

He came near to putting together one of the best sides we have had in a long time but he messed it up, two terrible summers in the transfer market and no manager should get away with that.

In the end he had to go. It hurt but it was the right thing to do.

It was the right thing to do, and I admit to being fed up with Rafa's seemingly stubborness and a perception of coldness towards players.

However, it was only the right thing if we replaced him with a maanger of the same standard or better. Pellegrini was available, yet we went for the affable Hodgson. I'm more than willing to give Roy the time, at the moment he looks as if he's not quite sure WHAT to do. I thought waiting till the 60th minute for a substitution was galling, now we're waiting till the 75th minute. Against Northamption did he even make a substitution in the 90 minutes of normal time?

It's time for Roy to start swimming, starting today with an entertaining win against Blackpool, a draw or a loss and the sinking continues.