You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dirk

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep criticising the man who won us No.5 in Istanbul mate, it's the only thing you're slightly good at.

But please, do it in the members forum, not here.

Sorry, when did you make the rules round here? Put me on your ignore list if you've got a problem. Alternatively, come back when you're no longer on your period.

Would you say agger is better than Hypia or Henchoz, Christ he can't even get in the team now, and Kuyt is a decent player, but the strikers Rafa inherited were Owen Cisse and Baros, debatable on that player I'll agree

I would say Agger is better then Henchoz Definitely. And kuyt is used more as a right sided midfielder these days anyway.

'Liverpool is my home and I will come back'

So, not content with leaving behind the worst squad in 50 years he is now issuing threats.

Hopefully, he has been negotiating with Mr Kenwright.

The worst squad in 50 years. Seriously, give your head an almighty wobble mate. Did you sleep through the Graeme Souness era or something?

I'd love him back one day to finish what he started and got so very near to completing last year.

His last season was terrible. I agree with the point mentioned in the article which says that he "went to war". To me, these wars needed fighting and every one of those lieing cunts at the top needed calling out, but in doing so he maybe took his eye off the ball and let things distort his footballing judgement and the team suffered.

In the 5 years before that we made undoubted progress in the league, and consistently reached the latter stages of the European Cup, so much so that many of us probably took it for granted. In hindsight, that second place finish in 2009 was an amazing achievment. 2 defeats, a record points haul and for the last 3 months playing the best brand of football I have ever seen from a Liverpool team. Madrid, Villa, the mancs, we literally blasted these teams off the park like they didn't exist. I know the draws killed us, but that was as bloody close to a Championship winning team as you'll ever come without winning it. Still being in with a shout with a week to go, hunting down and overtaking the 37point difference between ourselves and Chelsea in 2005, all of this done with an escalating shit storm in the boardroom and a lack of resources.

I think the move away would do him more good than it would us. It would allow him to become a football manager again instead of a firefighter and a business manager as he'd effectively become at Liverpool. I still hope that one day he'll return, re-focussed and better for his experience in Italy, and with a stable board and club who'll back him all the way. To me he's the best manager we have had since Kenny.

Anyone who wanted rafa to stay isn't worth an opinion, his time was up

So your saying anyone who has the cheek to hold a different opinion then you doesn't deserve one? Is that right?

Seriously grow up will you. Its an internet forum. People are allowed to think differently on here you know.

Sure, in 2004 we could easily sell any member of our first eleven to a European big fish or a reigning champions in major leagues, as we did with Benayoun and Mascherano. Kuyt, Reina, Torres, Johnson, Skrtel, Agger had quite a few offers throughout the summer. I can't imagine anyone apart from Owen leaving for a European giant then, with the exception of Gerrard of course. To say that a side getting 60 points in the unbalanced weak league and expectedly knocked out in 1/8 phase of UEFA Cup is stronger than the one reaching 63 points and very embarassing and disappointing semis in the same competition, knocked out due to silly ref decision disallowing Benayoun vital away goal, is just madness. Not to mention, that Ged side amassed around 63-65 points a year earlier, while Rafa team made it 86 points. What's more, the side Rafa left accomplished CL quarters a year earlier, only 4th highest result in the competition, while Ged one was knocked out in the group stages.

I accept your narrow-mindedness and lack of common sence as a fact (you might not like the word in Rafa's mouth), but please, enlighten me, how is this side the worst we had in fifty years? Any justification will be welcome. I advise you to visit Jamie Wankwa Liverpool-Kop blog, might be useful to invent some stories.

Johnson Agger and Skertel are worse players than Finnan Hyppia and Henchoz

you refer to Yossis disallowed goal aginst atletico, in 2004 we were coasting and 1 up away to Marsielle when Biscan got himself sent off before halftime in the Q/F, its all if's and buts, in fact we did'nt have a shot on target or even a corner away to Atletico and were lucky to get out just 1 nil down

And nowhere did I say we have the worst squad in 50 years, its weaker than the one in 2004 that was my statement, and IMO the squad that started the 2005/2006 season was the strongest we'd had since 1990. In the last 2 summers with Benitez destroyed the good work he'd done since the summer of 2004. 2008 and 2009 summers every signing was a failure despite big money been spent, if you disagree with that then fine but I cant see how you can.

Given that he's taken over the 5 times in a row league Champions and current European champions and first Italian team to do the treble, and the team he's taken over is fuckin light years better than anything else in the league I guess your right he is likely to win the league, in fact if he does'nt it's scandelous.

And given he left us in 7th place with a worst squad than he inherited I guess you could be right on that one also but not guarnteed,theres that word again guarntee, now run along

Again with the ridiculous claim that the team he inherited was better then the one he left

In every conceivable way you compare the teams that is provable, the squad Rafa left is light years better than the squad he inherited

Transfer value?

Owen went for 8 million. How much do you think Torres could be sold for?

How many top teams were in for Hammann, Hyppia, Henchoz? Put Skrtel or Agger up for sale, and look at the price we got Mascherano for.

How much would a pre-Rafa, pre-Champions league winning Gerrard be if he were sold the same time as Owen? How much will the current England captain cost?

Its quite simple to put together all the players Rafa inherited and combine their total price they were sold for, since everyone has gone except Gerrard and Carra

Now just Alonso and Mascherano together generated more than everyone else Houllier left combined

How about international quality players?

Look at how many players Rafa left that went to the 2010 World Cup. How about the team Houllier left? How many of those players even qualified to the 2006 world cup?

Hell, Rafa even made Gerrard and Carra better. Now under good old Roy, they get the good old fashion coaching. Lets see how many clean sheets under Carra, or how many match winning performances Gerrard gives us and amount of goals he scores now.

BTW, the age of Carra and Gerrard shouldn't be brought up as an excuse, considering Hyypia, Hammann etc were older than Carra and Gerrard are now.

In every conceivable measure besides the "I hate the spanish waiter" stick, Rafa's squad pisses all over Houllier's

Whilst I agree that Rafa had to move due to circumstance at Liverpool for the good of both parties- where he was more interested in fighting a war with the board of directors than managing the team- I see no reason why he could not return in 3-5 years time under different owners.

A few important points:

1, Rafa's managerial spell at the club, with the exception of the last year, were without doubt our most sustained period of relative success since the days of Dalglish.

2, As Hodgson is finding out (and despite the current criticism the man is a talented manager) the club is on a downward spiral and this will not be arrested until the club's ownership changes hands to a party willing to invest in the club again. We have now had 2 years of money being pulled out the club and I doubt that we will finish 7th if this situation continues this season.

3, If Rafa does an excellent job at Inter, where they continue to win Championships and challenge in the latter stages of the European Cup, then Liverpool would be foolish not to look at him again at some stage in the future. Here is one of the best managers in the world who has Liverpool in his heart.

I believe Roy deserves 2 years to turn this around if we obtain new owners this calendar year. If we need a new manager then I would not hesitate to bring back Rafa dependent on his managerial performance in the relevant timelines.

Agreed but those defending Hodgson shouldnt be saying he walked into a lot of trouble.

The team Rafa left just needed motivating and to play a more attacking game and we could have had a great season

Surely any manager could get 6 players from this lot

Torres, Gerrard, Mierles, Aqualani, Johnson, Kuyt, Poulwn, Cole.

Thats got to be good enough to win more games than you lose and draw

Agreed. That squad is a lot better then what people think it is. Hodgsons seems to be blaming everone else but his own ineptness at the moment and its starting to piss me off. He's got one of the most defeatest attitudes i've ever seen from a manager.

The worst squad in 50 years. Seriously, give your head an almighty wobble mate. Did you sleep through the Graeme Souness era or something?

Jones, Nicol, Barnes, McManaman, Molby, Redknapp, Whelan, Fowler and Rush.

Which of those wouldn't get in the squad Rafa left behind?

...2008 and 2009 summers every signing was a failure despite big money been spent, if you disagree with that then fine but I cant see how you can.

even if you agree with that statement, you still have to ask why? did Benitez have a free hand in hte market? was he having to plug huge gaps in the squad with a budget consisting of a fifty pence piece and a bag of dry roasted? Did he not have the rug pulled after he was told we hasd x amount of pennies available for transfers? You don't think this bit of contextualisation is important? And big money being spent? Did we not make a profit in the last transfer windows, (clubs like Crewe do that, not Liverpool)...what happened to the Alonso money, that was paid up front? The amount we got from offloading Barry back to Spurs....where did that go? If you're going to label transfers as failures, fine - but you need to look hard at the reasons for that, and they weren't all down to Benitez; effectively he was asked to tend to a gaping wound with nothing more than a strip of elastoplast.

We are all entitled to our opinions, but to call Rafa a "fat cunt" is to show such utter disrespect, I honestly don't know how you can live with yourself. Hang your head in shame, the irony of saying something like that in a forum called "The Liverpool Way" is as massive as Steve Bruce's face. This is an insult to the man who gave most of us the greatest night of our lives, made us title contenders (one year at least), gave us European football every year and was forced out of the club by a bunch of REAL cunts, but not before donating a shit load of money to the HJC and Rhys Jones memorial fund. Yes, what an absolute cunt. The very definition.

I ask all people against Rafa to honestly tell me they wanted him sacked the season before last when we came a hair's breadth away from winning the league and to tell me why. Rafa got sacked last year because we went from 2nd to 7th - a bad drop by anyone's standards, but not nearly all his fault. This season, 7th is going to look like an awesome achievement. We'll be looking up at 7th with a tear in our eye soon enough. At what point do we start hiring and firing managers like Newcastle? That's what we deserve anyway, seeing as the knee-jerk, instant success, tabloid reading knob 'eds are the ones who were happiest to see a truly great manager forced out.

A long season of "I told you so" and praying that Chelsea win the league to stop the scum is not much consolation to those who could see this utterly depressing shit-storm coming.

What a top post that is.

He's gone and im still fuming about it.

2 European cup finals

1 fa cup final

1 league cup final

Highest points total ever in the Premiership

Fernando Torres Pepe Reina Xabi Alonso- Bought for combined £36 million, worth now over £100 mill.

Thanks DM RP. This is Valencia all over again.

Anyway back to the tough game against Blackpool today :wallbutt:

[quote name='Benitaur;2474268

Transfer value?

Owen went for 8 million. How much do you think Torres could be sold for?

How many top teams were in and look at the price we got Mascherano for.

How much would a pre-Rafa' date=' pre-Champions league winning Gerrard be if he were sold the same time as Owen?[/b'] How much will the current England captain cost?

Owen went for less than half his value due to the contract situation, we turned down a £25m bid for Gerrard in 2004 from the chavs then a £35m one the following summer, We got roughly the same back for Mascherano for what we paid for him so bit of a stupid point that would'nt you say.

Houllier last season he finished 4th, benitez finished 7th. Would you agree that every signing in 2008 and 2009 bar Ngog were total failures and failed to make a positive impact on the 1st team.

Keane £20m

Caleveri £3.5m

Riera £8m

Dossena £8m

Johnson £18m

Aqualani £18m

not 1 of these players made a positive impact on the 1st team, in fact after Torres and Yossi signings its been disastorus, so you can add Babel and Skertel to a lesser extent to that

We are all entitled to our opinions, but to call Rafa a "fat cunt" is to show such utter disrespect, I honestly don't know how you can live with yourself. Hang your head in shame, the irony of saying something like that in a forum called "The Liverpool Way" is as massive as Steve Bruce's face. This is an insult to the man who gave most of us the greatest night of our lives, made us title contenders (one year at least), gave us European football every year and was forced out of the club by a bunch of REAL cunts, but not before donating a shit load of money to the HJC and Rhys Jones memorial fund. Yes, what an absolute cunt. The very definition.

I ask all people against Rafa to honestly tell me they wanted him sacked the season before last when we came a hair's breadth away from winning the league and to tell me why. Rafa got sacked last year because we went from 2nd to 7th - a bad drop by anyone's standards, but not nearly all his fault. This season, 7th is going to look like an awesome achievement. We'll be looking up at 7th with a tear in our eye soon enough. At what point do we start hiring and firing managers like Newcastle? That's what we deserve anyway, seeing as the knee-jerk, instant success, tabloid reading knob 'eds are the ones who were happiest to see a truly great manager forced out.

A long season of "I told you so" and praying that Chelsea win the league to stop the scum is not much consolation to those who could see this utterly depressing shit-storm coming.

Top Post mate, My thoughts exactly.

Whats that saying again......... Act in haste, Repent at leisure.

even if you agree with that statement, you still have to ask why? did Benitez have a free hand in hte market? was he having to plug huge gaps in the squad with a budget consisting of a fifty pence piece and a bag of dry roasted? Did he not have the rug pulled after he was told we hasd x amount of pennies available for transfers? You don't think this bit of contextualisation is important? And big money being spent? Did we not make a profit in the last transfer windows, (clubs like Crewe do that, not Liverpool)...what happened to the Alonso money, that was paid up front? The amount we got from offloading Barry back to Spurs....where did that go? If you're going to label transfers as failures, fine - but you need to look hard at the reasons for that, and they weren't all down to Benitez; effectively he was asked to tend to a gaping wound with nothing more than a strip of elastoplast.

As I said earlier in the thread I know there wass a stroke with the keane money which was probably earmarked for Jovetic, it still does'nt justify the awful signings in both those summers, how he ever though Dossena was gona work in the prem, same for Aqualani. Robbie Keane £20m while selling Bellamy a year earlier for £8m?

I know the owners are the main problem, but Rafa benitez has to take the blame for the big money failures in the transfer market, as he deservedly takes the credit for the succes for some of his earlier signings Alonso, Riena etc