You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

coop

No Money? We've made approx £21 Mill on sales already another £5 Mill in the pipeline for Riera. We've spent £2 Mill on Wilson and £1.5 Mill on Shelvey. In which universe does that equate to "No money"?

I take it your another one who thinks the massive sign ons for decent Bosmans of £2-3m a piece does'nt count as transfer fees, I really cant understand why people dont accept Bosman transfers the player gets a fee, there not free.:wallbutt:

Also Insua in that £20m is he? He's still our player you know, no fee recieved yet.

Raheem Sterling cost us a fair wedge at start of year are people forgetting that.

Yossi money =Rafa out roy in

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I take it your another one who thinks the massive sign ons for decent Bosmans of £2-3m a piece does'nt count as transfer fees, I really cant understand why people dont accept Bosman transfers the player gets a fee, there not free.:wallbutt:

Also Insua in that £20m is he? He's still our player you know, no fee recieved yet.

Raheem Sterling cost us a fair wedge at start of year are people forgetting that.

Oy Oy we'll have none of that rational thinking on here.

And it doesn't mean we won't be spending any more money either. We've signed two free transfers and a couple of young players - and apart from Man City that's more than our rivals have done.

The market hasn't properly kicked off yet as a lot of players are still away after the world cup.

Joe Cole said he was excited by our transfer targets. There'll be someone else coming in yet.

There are actually good grounds for either interpretation of what's happening right now: it could well be that we are thinning out the squad and bringing in cheap/free players, as well as using youngsters to pad it out, in order to save money. However, I also think there are strong footballing reasons for doing so: a slimmer squad with more quality is what many of us have been clamouring for for years (remember those old quality over quantity debates?); ditto a clear path to the first team for our academy graduates.

I don't know that seems like some serious grasping at straws to me. Those are the footballing reasons of a mid-table team and are subject to the kind of issues you've seen Villa succuumb to for the last couple of years and that we paid the price for last season despite having the © Best First 11 in the League. Large squads win shit. Football at the elite end is a large squad game these days

The answer to having a large squad full of mediocre squad players is a large squad full of non-mediocre players not a small squad supplemented by youth who are too inexperienced to perform any better than the mediocre players.

And you especially don't bet on youth when you still have no means of getting them past the gaping chasm of quality between the reserves and premier league.

We retied that approach; went into last season light on LBs and light on strikers, nice and tight but we had a clear path through to the first team for the youth in those areas. And how did that works for us? What good did that do? It sounds good as words on paper, but on the pitch?

The jury is out on what our squad will look like next season but for me what you have outlined there is a self-fulfilling prophecy of how to become a non-top 4 team.

I take it your another one who thinks the massive sign ons for decent Bosmans of £2-3m

Is this another of your "thought up" facts or do you have proof?

Even so - £3 Mill to Cole, £2 Mill to Jovanoich £2 Mill for Wilson, £1.5 Mill for Shelvey still only comes to £8.5 Mill.

I really cant understand why people dont accept Bosman transfers the player gets a fee, there not free.

Which people have said that?

Give you that one - we won't count that money until it's in the bank even though the fee is agreed with Fiorentina.

"A Fair wedge" - how much is that then?

and you're happy with that even though the MD said Money from players sales will go into the "Player fund"?

And it doesn't mean we won't be spending any more money either. We've signed two free transfers and a couple of young players - and apart from Man City that's more than our rivals have done.

The market hasn't properly kicked off yet as a lot of players are still away after the world cup.

Joe Cole said he was excited by our transfer targets. There'll be someone else coming in yet.

You're probably right that there will be more signings - but I reserve the right to be sceptical about it until such times as we actually do. I think that's fair given that he demands we don't count the Insua money until it's actually in the bank.

I don't know that seems like some serious grasping at straws to me. Those are the footballing reasons of a mid-table team and are subject to the kind of issues you've seen Villa succuumb to for the last couple of years and that we paid the price for last season despite having the © Best First 11 in the League. Large squads win shit. Football at the elite end is a large squad game these days

The answer to having a large squad full of mediocre squad players is a large squad full of non-mediocre players not a small squad supplemented by youth who are too inexperienced to perform any better than the mediocre players.

And you especially don't bet on youth when you still have no means of getting them past the gaping chasm of quality between the reserves and premier league.

We retied that approach; went into last season light on LBs and light on strikers, nice and tight but we had a clear path through to the first team for the youth in those areas. And how did that works for us? What good did that do? It sounds good as words on paper, but on the pitch?

The jury is out on what our squad will look like next season but for me what you have outlined there is a self-fulfilling prophecy of how to become a non-top 4 team.

That's my take on it as well. As long as we're doing this net profit lark in the transfer market, you can forget fighting for the title.

Kind of a slective interpretation there isn't it? If I read it correctly the OP was saying there are two ways to look at it and then outlined them.

I also wouldn't be so quick to right off a squad that had a good balance of youth , experienced talent and world class talent, something we lacked last season. The proof of this howvere is still to come.

Is this another of your "thought up" facts or do you have proof?

Even so - £3 Mill to Cole, £2 Mill to Jovanoich £2 Mill for Wilson, £1.5 Mill for Shelvey still only comes to £8.5 Mill.

Which people have said that?

Give you that one - we won't count that money until it's in the bank even though the fee is agreed with Fiorentina.

"A Fair wedge" - how much is that then?

and you're happy with that even though the MD said Money from players sales will go into the "Player fund"?

Maxi would have been another couple of million.

I actually cant remember the Sterling price, I think and could be wrong it was a million up front with alot of add ons.

and no I'm not actually happy about the Yossi money and if you read my post you can see I said that, but thats were they'll say it went to.

When Rafa arrived he did'nt get the funds he was promised due to what it cost to pay off Houllier and his team, like I said the money has to come from somewhere, its wrong but thats what will be the reply

Maxi would have been another couple of million.

I actually cant remember the Sterling price, I think and could be wrong it was a million up front with alot of add ons.

and no I'm not actually happy about the Yossi money and if you read my post you can see I said that, but thats were they'll say it went to.

When Rafa arrived he did'nt get the funds he was promised due to what it cost to pay off Houllier and his team, like I said the money has to come from somewhere, its wrong but thats what will be the reply

Not that it's hugely important, but Sterling was half a mill up front with the fee later rising to £5,000,000 depending on his progress at the club.

Guest TK-421
I reckon we have more chance of finding a buyer for the club then a buyer for Degen.

I think Broughton and Barcap were appointed to oversee the sale of Degen, but I hear Degen can block any sale if he feels like being a meanie.

I liked this in the Guardian's ‘The Fiver’ newsletter:

"It's taken Roy Hodgson a week to realise what Rafael Benitez couldn't in two years - that Phillip Degen is rubbish. "We won't stand in his way and he is free to look for another club," said the Liverpool manager, blindfolding the Swiss defender and abandoning him on some scrub-land in Speke."

"It's taken Roy Hodgson a week to realise what Rafael Benitez couldn't in two years - that Phillip Degen is rubbish. "We won't stand in his way and he is free to look for another club," said the Liverpool manager, blindfolding the Swiss defender and abandoning him on some scrub-land in Speke."

You won't be laughing when you read in the Echo tomorrow that he was mauled to death by a trio of savages wearing "Fortress Sports Fund" t-shirts.