You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Phil Redmond

WaltonRed

What, "barristers, stockbrokers, bankers, industrialists, media moguls and all manner of capitalist vampires"?

I think you'll find lots of barristers do pro bono stuff, and that there are many, many philanthropists from the world of business.

Yeah, I tried, but I can't neg you again just yet.

Great. But if we could just get them all to stop evading taxes then there would be less need for their supposed philanthropy.

If you can't neg me, get someone to do it for you. I don't mind. After all, isn't that what the Big Society is all about - helping out in our communities?

• 6 years later...

The creator of Brookside, Phil Redmond, is leading a bid to bring Channel 4 to Liverpool, saying "there could be no better home".

A government consultation is considering whether the broadcaster should move out of central London.

Mr Redmond said Liverpool was "recognised as the UK's second cultural city" and had always had a "pool of creative talent".

The move could create more than 800 jobs, he added.

'Rebalancing culture'

A consultation into the broadcaster's future was launched after the government carried out an 18-month review of the publicly-owned channel, which has more than 800 staff but fewer than 30 based outside the capital.

Mr Redmond has joined Liverpool John Moores University, the council and the Liverpool Film Office to try and bring the broadcaster to the city.

He said: "Apart from Liverpool's growing reputation as a cultural centre... we have to remember [that] a lot of Channel 4's DNA was created in this city through Brookside and then through Hollyoaks, which at one stage was providing 60% of Channel 4's income... "

He said Liverpool did not have a "permanent broadcasting centre" like other major cities, adding: "We are talking about rebalancing the UK and rebalancing culture and rebalancing the news agenda outside of London. It seems like an obvious fix to come to Liverpool this time."

Image copyrightGETTY IMAGESImage captionThere would be huge economic benefits for Liverpool, Mr Redmond says

Liverpool is at the centre of the UK geographically, he said, "so it is closer to all the nations and regions [for commissioning]".

Mr Redmond, who ran Mersey Television for 25 years, added: "[There are] economic benefits obviously, if they bring £650-700m spend into the area - or the jobs attached to that- that is a big economic benefit.

"It would be fantastic for Liverpool but I also think it is the way to reinvigorate Channel 4 for its next 35 years."

Image captionOnly 30 of Channel 4's staff are currently based outside London

The West Midlands Combined Authority (WMCA) launched a bid for the broadcaster to move to its region last week, with sites proposed in Birmingham, Coventry, Solihull and Dudley.

Elsewhere, two Bradford MPs have called on Channel 4 to move its HQ to West Yorkshire.

Joe Anderson, mayor of Liverpool, said: "Aside from world-beating locations and world-class creative talent, the character and the history of the city sits well with Channel 4's brand."

The government said it would consider all bids with the broadcaster "to ensure that Channel 4 maximises its delivery of public value".

Would be great news, but have to laugh at Anderson's attempts to get in on it, speak to anyone who works in the tech/creative/arts scene in Liverpool and they'll tell you the place is an absolute joke.

Maybe this is because very few people use it since Granada moved all its stuff to Manchester. This could be the kind of boost it needs? That said,the wife's Uncle is heavily involved in the local tv and film stuff,they've just screened something called Priest with Sean Bean starring in it. It might have been shite for all I know,but at least its something. To be fair,most of the tv/film people in the city were part of the Brookside team so I suppose it makes sense.

Maybe this is because very few people use it since Granada moved all its stuff to Manchester. This could be the kind of boost it needs? That said,the wife's Uncle is heavily involved in the local tv and film stuff,they've just screened something called Priest with Sean Bean starring in it. It might have been shite for all I know,but at least its something. To be fair,most of the tv/film people in the city were part of the Brookside team so I suppose it makes sense.

I 'briefly' worked for an arts charity about a decade ago and have been part of all sorts of groups, writing, amateur film making etc and there's absolutely fuck all going on. It tends to be a group of half a dozen people meeting at FACT and then it peters out. All the capital of culture money was funneled off to the big arts institutions, FACT, Tate etc and there was very little for grass roots.

Try going out after 5pm in Liverpool and finding anything to do in the way of the arts, be in stand up comedy, small gigs, storytelling nights etc, Manchester shits all over it.

Said it before on other threads but Liverpool has got lots of organisations who've been given money to dole out over the years, be it for business advice, arts or whatever, it's an industry in itself but they're all fucking useless. They tend to stage 'events' down the dock or something on a Thursday afternoon when everyone is in work, lay some food and drink on and give it some spiel about grant applications etc, then they take pictures of a few people in the audience and whack it up on the website to make it look like they've been earning a living, but phone them with virtually any request - be it for money, advice or signposting - and they're absolutely baffled.

My nephew was the sound engineer on that. Reckons that Sean Bean was dead shy but also dead sound! Can't see this going anywhere but Birmingham though, no votes on offer for them here.

The creator of Brookside, Phil Redmond, is leading a bid to bring Channel 4 to Liverpool, saying "there could be no better home".

A government consultation is considering whether the broadcaster should move out of central London.

Mr Redmond said Liverpool was "recognised as the UK's second cultural city" and had always had a "pool of creative talent".

The move could create more than 800 jobs, he added.

'Rebalancing culture'

A consultation into the broadcaster's future was launched after the government carried out an 18-month review of the publicly-owned channel, which has more than 800 staff but fewer than 30 based outside the capital.

Mr Redmond has joined Liverpool John Moores University, the council and the Liverpool Film Office to try and bring the broadcaster to the city.

He said: "Apart from Liverpool's growing reputation as a cultural centre... we have to remember [that] a lot of Channel 4's DNA was created in this city through Brookside and then through Hollyoaks, which at one stage was providing 60% of Channel 4's income... "

He said Liverpool did not have a "permanent broadcasting centre" like other major cities, adding: "We are talking about rebalancing the UK and rebalancing culture and rebalancing the news agenda outside of London. It seems like an obvious fix to come to Liverpool this time."

Image copyrightGETTY IMAGESImage captionThere would be huge economic benefits for Liverpool, Mr Redmond says

Liverpool is at the centre of the UK geographically, he said, "so it is closer to all the nations and regions [for commissioning]".

Mr Redmond, who ran Mersey Television for 25 years, added: "[There are] economic benefits obviously, if they bring £650-700m spend into the area - or the jobs attached to that- that is a big economic benefit.

"It would be fantastic for Liverpool but I also think it is the way to reinvigorate Channel 4 for its next 35 years."

Image captionOnly 30 of Channel 4's staff are currently based outside London

The West Midlands Combined Authority (WMCA) launched a bid for the broadcaster to move to its region last week, with sites proposed in Birmingham, Coventry, Solihull and Dudley.

Elsewhere, two Bradford MPs have called on Channel 4 to move its HQ to West Yorkshire.

Joe Anderson, mayor of Liverpool, said: "Aside from world-beating locations and world-class creative talent, the character and the history of the city sits well with Channel 4's brand."

The government said it would consider all bids with the broadcaster "to ensure that Channel 4 maximises its delivery of public value".

Let's gentrify the city even more by brining even more luvvies to the city to paper over the social problems the city has.

Let's gentrify the city even more by brining even more luvvies to the city to paper over the social problems the city has.

Manchester has plenty of social problems yet they've got all that Granada tv stuff so its got little to do with that alone. Anything constructive that can raise the profile of the city is welcome.

Manchester has plenty of social problems yet they've got all that Granada tv stuff so its got little to do with that alone. Anything constructive that can raise the profile of the city is welcome.

Manchester has not only Granada but the BBC too. (not 2)  This in effect is the biggest free advertisement for one city there has ever been. Not a day goes by on the national morning news when they don't sing the praises of the place.

Pretty soon every doctor, dentist, dietitian etc etc in that city will be a celebrity as they are invited on to speak about what they deem news on that shite. A donkey race in Manchester would be afforded more publicity than the Grand National and this all adds to our problem as we are being portrayed as a small suburb of Manchester therefore we can't complain when they receive all the government handouts.

Having Channel 4 here to redress the balance somewhat would be good but as I said previously there's nothing in it for the Tory government to base it here.

• Upvote 2

How do the people who are still hard up in Manchester despite all this positive publicity feel?

It may work against them as it gives the impression that all is bright in the rose garden.

Well it gives them a better chance of work than the poor cunts here. Channel 4 would bring in 800 direct well paid jobs and all the service jobs that would follow them.

We might also be in with a chance of publicity that isn't negative. Get on the BBC's reporting of here. They can't be arsed sending a reporter for anything positive but if there's a negative national issue such as knife crime then hey presto they're here even though it's worse on their doorstep.

It's not an accidental thing but a deliberate attempt to portray Manchester as some kind of super city of the North and that will justify the 'Manchester powerhouse!'

How do the people who are still hard up in Manchester despite all this positive publicity feel?

It may work against them as it gives the impression that all is bright in the rose garden.

Most of the staff at the BBC in Salford are rich kids. Some of them are on five day contracts, the most is usually three months, lots of interns too, people commute from Birmingham, Leeds and the like daily to work there. They did a couple of token dredges of 'northern talent' when they opened but I only know one person who got the odd shift there and then fucked it off. 

Well it gives them a better chance of work than the poor cunts here. Channel 4 would bring in 800 direct well paid jobs and all the service jobs that would follow them.

We might also be in with a chance of publicity that isn't negative. Get on the BBC's reporting of here. They can't be arsed sending a reporter for anything positive but if there's a negative national issue such as knife crime then hey presto they're here even though it's worse on their doorstep.

It's not an accidental thing but a deliberate attempt to portray Manchester as some kind of super city of the North and that will justify the 'Manchester powerhouse!'

They never cover the North East except when it's something bad either. Good news doesn't sell well, doesn't have flashing blue lights and sirens or give them hours of air play for people to speculate wildly despite having no knowledge of what is actually going on.

As I've pointed out on here before it's the same with sports, there are hundreds of Motorsport events going on up and down the country every month and they never get any mainstream attention. 

However, if there is a bad accident suddenly every paper gives a shit about it for a few days. 

• Upvote 2

They never cover the North East except when it's something bad either. Good news doesn't sell well, doesn't have flashing blue lights and sirens or give them hours of air play for people to speculate wildly despite having no knowledge of what is actually going on.

As I've pointed out on here before it's the same with sports, there are hundreds of Motorsport events going on up and down the country every month and they never get any mainstream attention. 

However, if there is a bad accident suddenly every paper gives a shit about it for a few days. 

That's a wider problem IMO. TV news journalists always carry themselves somewhat aloof but by and large I don't consider them 'proper' journalists. They don't have contacts and they're not embedded with their patches.

The first thing TV news producers do in the morning is go through the papers to see what stories they can lift. If you watch the news at 10 on BBC and ITV they're virtually identical, sometimes right down to their running order -  think about it - when was the last time TV news told you something you didn't already know? 

The great tragedy is the decline of local newspapers. Those were the people in the pubs, talking to coppers, dealing with the public over a brew day in, day out, the people who took phone calls and went to courts and meetings. The big three news corporations in their neverending desire for a quick buck put paid to all that, believe me, communities will miss it when it's  gone. 

• Upvote 1

Manchester has not only Granada but the BBC too. (not 2)  This in effect is the biggest free advertisement for one city there has ever been. Not a day goes by on the national morning news when they don't sing the praises of the place.

Pretty soon every doctor, dentist, dietitian etc etc in that city will be a celebrity as they are invited on to speak about what they deem news on that shite. A donkey race in Manchester would be afforded more publicity than the Grand National and this all adds to our problem as we are being portrayed as a small suburb of Manchester therefore we can't complain when they receive all the government handouts.

Having Channel 4 here to redress the balance somewhat would be good but as I said previously there's nothing in it for the Tory government to base it here.

I'm  a big fan of 6 Music - have it on all the time. About 50% of the shows now come from Salford, and the wall-to-wall coverage of the Manchester International Festival has been beyond parody. I couldn't listen to it for a few days, it was so nauseating. Fair play to Mark Radcliffe and Guy Garvey for bigging up their own city, but the convenience factor means they have to pay nothing to be in amongst it. Add in the fact that Peter Hook and Bernard Sumner will happily drop in every 5 minutes to promote their latest book picking the last morsels form the corpse of Ian Curtis, the latest coffee-table book about the Hacienda, or just to slag each other off, or Paul Heaton will be in to advertise his Salford Alehouse, and it's fucking frustrating. Sound City got virtually no coverage (again) despite Marc Riley being a fixture there except for  the Velvet Underground debacle.  

Sound City looks fucking shite now though to be honest. I used to come back for it but haven't bothered since they moved it out to the docks and put a load of mainstream shite on the bill. I'm not coming to Liverpool to see the fucking Kooks when I've got boss bands playing Amsterdam, Rotterdam or Utrecht every week.

Sound City looks fucking shite now though to be honest. I used to come back for it but haven't bothered since they moved it out to the docks and put a load of mainstream shite on the bill. I'm not coming to Liverpool to see the fucking Kooks when I've got boss bands playing Amsterdam, Rotterdam or Utrecht every week.

First year in the docks it was superb. Flaming Lips, Belle & Sebastian, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Fat white Family, Jane Weaver. Must admit I didn't fancy it this year though.

The great tragedy is the decline of local newspapers. Those were the people in the pubs, talking to coppers, dealing with the public over a brew day in, day out, the people who took phone calls and went to courts and meetings. The big three news corporations in their neverending desire for a quick buck put paid to all that, believe me, communities will miss it when it's  gone. 

funny you should say that, because where I live, there are more roving reporters than ever working for local papers/websites and radio stations etc.  It's clearly not the same with the Echo/Daily Post/MEN though

funny you should say that, because where I live, there are more roving reporters than ever working for local papers/websites and radio stations etc.  It's clearly not the same with the Echo/Daily Post/MEN though

Are they one man bands? There's quite a few independents popping up now to fill the vacuum. 

The MEN apparently doesn't bother covering North manchester much now because there's no big advertising money to be had, unlike in Didsbury etc. They did a good job with the MEN arena bombing story though I must say, very impressive coverage.