You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafael Benitez is the only winner in Albert Riera row | Liverpool - Times Online

From Times Online

March 18, 2010

Rafael Benitez is the only winner in Albert Riera row

Times football writer Tony Barrett delivers his verdict on the latest behind-the-scenes problems to hit Anfield club. He talks to Russell Kempson

Has Riera burnt his bridges with Rafael Benitez after his outburst?

It would certainly seem that way. Riera has now been suspended by Liverpool and told not to return to training until Monday. He will also be fined for his outburst. In many ways, the bridges had already been alight for some time before Riera gave his controversial interview to Radio Marca. If the criticism of Benitez had come from, say, Steven Gerrard, Fernando Torres or Javier Mascherano, then perhaps it would have had a bit more credibility. But Riera is not exactly speaking from a position of strength seeing as his form this season has not demanded that he be included in the Liverpool team.

Does Riera have a point?

No, not really. He had a decent first season, gave the team balance and built a solid platform from which to move on from. However, he has not delivered on that promise and has frequently struggled when given an opportunity. He is little more than a bit-part player now and clearly a frustrated one, too. He has probably fired the first shots in what could become a tense stand-off between him and Benitez.

Who will win?

There is only one winner and it is not Riera. Benitez will not take kindly to being spoken about in such unflattering terms, especially in the media. The problem with far too many modern footballers is that they look for excuses far too easily. Riera needs to look at himself before pointing fingers at anyone else. Benitez is the same manager who picked Riera throughout last season and the same manager whom Riera performed well for last season. It's not as if the manager has suddenly had some sort of major personality change. Whatever shortcomings he has this season, he had last season. The difference this time around is that Riera is not playing regularly and as such is frustrated and Liverpool are not winning regularly which makes Benitez vulnerable to this kind of criticism.

What do the Liverpool fans think of Riera?

Not a great deal of late. When he was taken off in the 63rd minute of the Europa League game at home to Unirea Urziceni last month, there was not even a ripple of applause. That is as near as it gets to booing at Anfield where the fans tend to be particularly supportive, even when players are struggling for form. I really can't see any way back for Riera.

Where will he go?

He has two years left on his contract at the end of this season but will be long gone before it expires. Several Spanish clubs are interested in taking him and there could also be a way out in Russia, which I'm sure his advisers have sounded out already. There is a lot of money in Russian football at the moment, their domestic league does not have the most exacting of standards and their transfer window is still open.

Is it true, as Riera claims, that Benitez is non-communicative?

That is Rafa. He is what he is and is not going to change now. It was the way he was when Liverpool won the European Cup in 2005 and it is the way he is now, at a time when Liverpool are struggling badly. He will never be one for the arm on the shoulder or offer a shoulder to cry on. Riera should realise that ... or perhaps he just has. That is why, it would appear, he wants out. But one thing that should not be forgotten is that Riera was signed by Benitez and if, as seems inevitable, he departs, he will be the latest player brought in during the summer of 2008 who has left having failed to set the world alight.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TK-421
Mainly because Ferguson is a better manager, and they probably have more respect for him then our players do for Benitez.

Also thats an awful example because Giggs is a bit part player, he knows it and he also accepts it.

Yadda yadda.

Guest davelfc
He also went on to say he felt Liverpool were a "sinking ship" after a poor season which has seen early exits from the title race, Champions League and FA Cup.

Reminds me that it's always the rats that flee a sinking ship first.

I see Albert, that you would like to leave the club, which is fine. However, you don't seem to want to hand in a transfer request and forgo your pay off. Bad form Albert. Personally, I'd make you train with the under 16's and leave you to rot at The Academy watching their games. Then there'll be no place in the Spanish World Cup squad for you.

There was a time when you would rot in the reserves. If he is sold now the only place he could go is Russia. Then let him see what a sinking career he has.

There was a time when you would rot in the reserves. If he is sold now the only place he could go is Russia. Then let him see what a sinking career he has.

Do you think he'll stay there. He's only heading there as it's the only place he can go to get games to help him get into the World Cup squad... No doubt we'll hear more in 6 months time about how his family can't settle and he needs to get back to Spain...

Why is the Russian transfer window so long then?

Probably because their season, like the scandinavian seasons, goes from March to November. I do believe the transfer windows in Norway and Sweden is open as well.

Hey, Albert fancy a stint for my local club IL Stålkameratene? Currently in the 3rd division, but are favourites for promotion? Or maybe our local rivals Mo IL. They are currently in the second division, but will be fighting relegation. I think the level should suit you fine.

Probably because their season, like the scandinavian seasons, goes from March to November. I do believe the transfer windows in Norway and Sweden is open as well.

Is right. It's open until the rest of this month and has been open since January 1st. On the other hand it's only open in August for the same countries so it's the opposite of the rest of Europe's window.

I wonder if people will be as keen to get in God's case?

Fowler, who recently returned from a season in the Australian A-League, told BBC Radio 5 live: "Rafa in his first year won the Champions League but they have not really won too much since then.

"For the sake of Liverpool fans I want them to do as well as they can and if that means getting a new manager then so be it."

Show us yeh medals, Robbie.