You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Daniel Agger

Antynwa

Agger was finished in terms of top level football. I remember reading something a few years back about him having to stand for the duration of a flight back from a European game just so his back wouldn't seize up.

A quality player when he was at his best, though. Brilliant goal in a European Cup semi-final too.

"Despite Agger’s loyalty to Liverpool, Rodgers failed to live up to his promises to the great Dane and, after repeatedly being left out of the starting line-up with no reasonable explanation, Agger decided to leave Liverpool in the summer of 2014."

That being the season in which our porous defence cost us our best chance of a title in a generation. Also, the season in which Agger played in a seriously disproportionate number of the clean sheets we managed to keep.

I'm sure JP can explain how that was not the manager's fuck-up.

The biggest irony is that Rodgers brought him on against Norwich to shore things up when we were hanging on at 3-2 and it worked a treat. Without that win the Palace game would probably have been irrelevant to the title challenge.

Agree with Robbie though that it was the right time for Agger to go. A title win would have made a great swansong for him.

• 2 months later...

Announced his retirement.

Shame injuries hobbled him so much during his career. A class player when his body allowed him to be.

Yep, and stuck with the club through some properly shit times when he had better offers.

Nobody will ever go back and watch it much, but he assisted Kuyt's consolation in the European cup final.

• Upvote 3

I liked his attitude and loyalty but feel he was overrated and never fulfilled his potential due to injuries, the season we got to the cl final and the second season under Kenny he was very good, the rest of the time injuries plagued him.

He went at the right time as did Gerrard, Carra and Reina.We did replace him with a better CB signing Lovren but he took time to settle as everyone knows.

• Downvote 2

I liked his attitude and loyalty but feel he was overrated and never fulfilled his potential due to injuries, the season we got to the cl final and the second season under Kenny he was very good, the rest of the time injuries plagued him.

He went at the right time as did Gerrard, Carra and Reina.We did replace him with a better CB signing Lovren but he took time to settle as everyone knows.

Have a day off will ya

• Upvote 1

I'm not a vengeful person, but even I enjoyed his elbow smash on Torres (I've made my peace with him). Classy defender, a gorgeous left foot and a wonderful player to watch at his craft. He would probably have bossed any defender we have now if he'd been able to stay fit. Best of luck to him, whatever he goes on to do now in his retirement.

Have a day off will ya

It's an honest opinion and I said the same thing many times when he was still here, admiring his loyalty doesn't mean I have to think he was a great player.Just look at Glen Johnson, was one of the best rbs in Europe while here and he was loyal.Fans who don't rate him were far more critical than I have been and his loyalty meant nothing to them.

• Downvote 3