You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

john winston lennon RIP

kelly jones

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Working Class Hero?

Erm...Fucked of to New York when he made his money and continued to be an arrogant cunt.

All You need is Love?

Left his wife to run off with Yoko and ignored Julian for years. Love? Not if its gets in the way of his career.

Overated beyond belief. Apart from Imagine (which was OK) he was shit.

Imagine no possessions...said the multi-millionaire:no

I'll never understand why people think you have to be potless to hold opinions about money that might be sympathetic to people without it. Even when rich people give money away and give time to good causes it still isn't enough unless they actually bankrupt themselves doing it.

Lennon was clearly a bit of a hypocrite and could be a cunt sometimes, but I suppose all that makes him is human. A human that made some boss music.

I think thats the whole point of the title of the song mate. IMAGINE. Hes asking people to imagine, Its not like hes saying " look at me, i have no possesions". Use your imagination! but i think you might have a hard time by the nature of your posts in this thread

Ginny

no I just see Imagine for the drivel that it is. I may agree with the sentiments behind the work but as stated it is not some visionary work. It is a nursery rhyme with understandings and opions on a par with "I'd Like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony"

Ginny

no I just see Imagine for the drivel that it is. I may agree with the sentiments behind the work but as stated it is not some visionary work. It is a nursery rhyme with understandings and opions on a par with "I'd Like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony"

I'd imagine Lennon understands what cunts human beings are but just wanted to write a song about us being less so.

He was massively overrated. He did little of worth after leaving the Beatles.

And Imagine is a shit song. On a political, philosophical and musical level it is on a par with "I'd Like to teach the world to sing"

Sorry that he was murdered so young but lets not overplay his talents

even if this was true, his work with The Beatles is enough to say he is one of the greats.

Ginny

that is perhaps the most ill considered opinion of all time and I'm inncuding Adolfs views on Jews in that assessment

Ginny

Yep. Sometimes people just dont 'get it'. Looks like your one of them. Thats really unfortunate. Maybe in your next life kidda

Ok tell me where the profound statements and visionary insights are in Imagine that are not in I'd Like To Teach The World to Sing?

You cannot. It is a simplistic, overly sentimental nursery rhyme

Forcing a battle/debate between 2 songs about love and harmony has kind of fizzled your points out to a flat grey stagnant void

As a concept it is profound for saying the world does not have to be like it is and it is possible to make it better

as opposed to the idea that singing together could in any way make things different

Nope the concepts behind it are overly simplistic and juvenile.

Rather more profound points on the same subjects have been made in dozens of songs before and since, and done rather better.

Thus his post Beatles work was mostly poo...and not deserving of the status people afford him just because he died tragically young.

Though still unqualified respect for his work with the Beatles