You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Two things...

AdamD

Why is Uncle Bobby not getting loads of stick like Ged. I am not apologising for Ged but Newcastle have 1 point more than us having played 1 more game?

Arse are still unbeaten. Is it me or have we not heard much about this?

I loved the way ITV teletext reported Man Utd's win over mini-Man Utd (the Blueslime) - "Understrength Man Utd..."

Even better are Sky "...next up are THE CHAMPIONS against Everton...". Keys can't call them Man Utd, it is THE CHAMPIONS.

I don't recall Arsenal ever getting that sort of treatment.

I don't think we hear much about the Arse being unbeaten because Wenger learnt his lesson last year saying they could go the season unbeaten. As for Uncle Bobby, the one thing I notice thaty seems to get peoples knickers in a knot about GH is the excuses after matches. And expectations are high because of the treble and 80pt season, which Bobby didn't have.

Robson is not getting stick from the press because the fans aren't on his back like ours are, that is the difference. The press react to the public, not the other way round. A lesson for some of ours perhaps? I doubt it.

Hermes, how many league titles have Newcastle won? When did they last win anything? FFS we are worlds apart in expectations, when Bobby took over they were 2nd bottom.

Hermes, how many league titles have Newcastle won? When did they last win anything? FFS we are worlds apart in expectations, when Bobby took over they were 2nd bottom.

Where do our expectations come from? Oh, yeah we won the league in 1990. The level of success we had in the 70's and 80's will never return while Abramovich is at Chelsea and Man Utd are making £25m a year more profit than us. That is a fact which appears beyond the grasp of most of our fans. It's about time they came to terms with it and allowed the club to deal with the reality of modern football.

Guest Bellflower
Where do our expectations come from? Oh, yeah we won the league in 1990. The level of success we had in the 70's and 80's will never return while Abramovich is at Chelsea and Man Utd are making £25m a year more profit than us. That is a fact which appears beyond the grasp of most of our fans. It's about time they came to terms with it and allowed the club to deal with the reality of modern football.

So where do we fit in the modern football reality, just settling for 4th place every season because we don't have the money ? I don't think so. At our level of expectation the money comes from the football being played. If you've got a rubbish product people won't buy it, and thats the thing thats got to be dealt with, and if to do that GH has got to go so be it. Consequently there is no way that supporters of this club will accept that titles only come from financial expenditure, because at that rate with the amount we have spent, we should be on 20 by now. Its the belief we need to establish, not a bank balance.

So explain Arsenal then. Smaller capacity stadium than us, smaller worldwide fanbase, but they don't seem to be doing badly do they?

Dave,

I'm not saying we'll never win the league again, I've already said on here that I think we'll win it next season. My point is that we will never have sustained success while other clubs, whoever they are, can spend millions more in a season than we can.

I agree Wenger is a better manager than Houllier, but we're not realistically going to poach him if Houllier is sacked. Arsenal by the way have spent more money than anybody apart from us, Chelsea, Newcastle and Man Utd in Wenger's time at the club. He's been manager for 7 full seasons and won 4 trophies. I wish we had a manager who could win 4 trophies in 7 seasons.:whistle:

Dave,

I'm not saying we'll never win the league again, I've already said on here that I think we'll win it next season. My point is that we will never have sustained success while other clubs, whoever they are, can spend millions more in a season than we can.

I agree Wenger is a better manager than Houllier, but we're not realistically going to poach him if Houllier is sacked. Arsenal by the way have spent more money than anybody apart from us, Chelsea, Newcastle and Man Utd in Wenger's time at the club. He's been manager for 7 full seasons and won 4 trophies. I wish we had a manager who could win 4 trophies in 7 seasons.:whistle:

Wenger has won five trophies since he took over at Arsenal .He's won the double twice and finished 2nd four times .He also paid as much for Pires as GH paid for Biscan and as much for Henry as GH paid for H*****

Guest heropsychodreamer
Wenger has won five trophies since he took over at Arsenal .He's won the double twice and finished 2nd four times .He also paid as much for Pires as GH paid for Biscan and as much for Henry as GH paid for H*****

Wenger also paid more for Cygan than Houllier paid for Hyypia. So It`s not like Wenger hits the jackpot every time... van bronckhorst was a bargain also..Not to mention Jeffers and Wright :)..Every managers has his hits and misses. So to compare Wengers two best purchases with a couple of dodgy Houllier ones isn`t really fair. Im not trying to say GH is as good, but he has made some good buys too... Kewell anyone????

Can't defend Wenger over Cygan, Wreh Van Bronkchorts etc, but Wright and Jeffers weren't his choices. Dein was making a big thing about them needing English players, and it's widely rumoured in football that Wenger didn't really want them. The fact he never picked them seems to back that up. He wanted Dudek, and Dein told him he had to have Wright.

Hermes, fair point about the sustained success thing. I don't expect us to dominate as we used to, but I would like us to be challenging every year. Arsenal do it on a budget no bigger than ours, so it can be done. That's all I'm saying.

Guest heropsychodreamer
Can't defend Wenger over Cygan, Wreh Van Bronkchorts etc, but Wright and Jeffers weren't his choices. Dein was making a big thing about them needing English players, and it's widely rumoured in football that Wenger didn't really want them. The fact he never picked them seems to back that up. He wanted Dudek, and Dein told him he had to have Wright.

Was`nt aware of that... my point was that it was unfair comparing those buys, because you could turn it upside down saying Houllier bought Kewell for less than Arsenal paid for Van Bronckhorst....( guess Houllier would do so 8) lol ) and the same goes for Ferguson.... he once bought Ralph Milne... so everyone has their skeletons in their closet...

I think when we compare Arsene and GH regarding budget and trophies, the trophy count can become skewed. GH would say he's won six. I would rather take Arsenal's haul then ours. This is no slight at Ged, but the League is the one, all the others are the gravy. You know Mickey and Steveie G desperately want the Prem trophy. Hermes, are we still going to win it next year?

The bottom line is always results. Results are not directly related to resourse. Good scouting of lower divisions, a good youth set up and finaly good coaching making average players better will overcome a lack of resource. When did our last average player rather than good player come through the ranks, (average players can be made better or sold on for a profit) when was the last lower division purchase. When did we last buy an expensive failure who said "made it" and does not now give a toss. When did we last win the the titles that matter.