You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shitty Job References

Jarvinja Ilnow

Hi folks,

this is my Simonlfc moment, in which I display my total ignorance of the said subject (Simon, feel free to offer advice):

I've just got a new job after a couple of years of temping; the problem is the agency I originally worked through is now refusing to say that I worked for them.

Here's the story: I worked permanently for the organisation only for a few months after leaving the shit agency that originally recruited me for them, after the agency kept fucking up my wages.(let's call the agency 'C***TA liars'.com);

I joined another agency for a couple of weeks (who are great) but then took a 4 week sabbatical - basically living off my savings until my girlfriend got sick of me being at home improving my xbox skills.

The organisation, my last employers, have timesheets prooving I worked for them via/ and they were paying the C***TA liars; but the new employers are quite rightly concerned they don't have the references.

If the lying piece of shit agency refuse to give a reference and I lose the job - do you reckon I have recourse to anything?

ps - I've no bad marks etc against me and a clear CRB etc

Please excuse my English - I just got in and found this email.

sorry folks this makes little sense to me as well

Edited by Jarvinja Ilnow
didnt realise how pissed I was

There is no legal requirement for them to give you a reference, merely a requirement that if they do so it is accurate. As someone else said, wouldn't the references be better coming from the places you worked rather than an agency.

There is no legal requirement to provide a reference. If your new employer wants an actual reference (i.e. some comment on the quality of your work and so on) you can't force your previous employer to provide one.

If they merely want independent corroboration that you worked for the company for the period that you said you did, try dropping the tax office a line, including your National Insurance number, date of birth and your current employer's full name and head office address and ask them to provide you with a letter setting out their records of your employers, pay and tax for the relevant tax years.

They'll do it for you no problem, the only issue is that at the moment there are backlogs of work following the introduction of a new computer system so it's unlikely that it would be a speedy process. I'm talking about several weeks here, not days, although you could at least explain that to your employer. Since they have to deal with the tax office as well, they'll probably be used to it...

thanks for the replies - I'm hoping the organisation I was temping for will provide a reference, and potentially for the times I was working via the agency. I'm just so fucked off right now as the agency is shit and they got more work off the efforts I did put in there.

Scouse Missionary - ta, it seems like I can't rely on them to do the right thing - I made a complaint about one of their staff when I didn't get paid for 6 weeks over Xmas/ New Year so I'm not flavour of the month. I worked for the agency for about 9 years until the Spurs supporting yuppie bastard took over as my rep.

I do have some statements with the agency payroll, but just supplying that isn't enough, when you work in a field that needs CRBs etc. I may not get this job because of them but the fact that they are lying in saying that I never worked for them, should at least give me grounds for some action

the main point is someone saying I never even worked for them!

Hi folks,

this is my Simonlfc moment, in which I display my total ignorance of the said subject (Simon, feel free to offer advice):

I've just got a new job after a couple of years of temping; the problem is the agency I originally worked through is now refusing to say that I worked for them.

Here's the story: I worked permanently for the organisation only for a few months after leaving the shit agency that originally recruited me for them, after the agency kept fucking up my wages.(let's call the agency 'C***TA liars'.com);

I joined another agency for a couple of weeks (who are great) but then took a 4 week sabbatical - basically living off my savings until my girlfriend got sick of me being at home improving my xbox skills.

The organisation, my last employers, have timesheets prooving I worked for them via/ and they were paying the C***TA liars; but the new employers are quite rightly concerned they don't have the references.

If the lying piece of shit agency refuse to give a reference and I lose the job - do you reckon I have recourse to anything?

ps - I've no bad marks etc against me and a clear CRB etc

Please excuse my English - I just got in and found this email.

sorry folks this makes little sense to me as well

Hope it works out alright mate, the agency sound like cunts. I went for a job interview yesterday and was told I had the job but got a call from job centre today saying I had to do a work trial first as part of a new deal thing, I have had a few minor skirmishes with the law as well in the past and have just remembered about the CRB thing as well after seeing your post, I hope it doesn't work against us being stupid when I was drunk in the past. Need to get back into work!

Hope it works out alright mate, the agency sound like cunts. I went for a job interview yesterday and was told I had the job but got a call from job centre today saying I had to do a work trial first as part of a new deal thing, I have had a few minor skirmishes with the law as well in the past and have just remembered about the CRB thing as well after seeing your post, I hope it doesn't work against us being stupid when I was drunk in the past. Need to get back into work!

CRB checks should never really go against you unless you pose some kind of risk. Having a charge for drunk and disordely or criminal damage isn't really going to have and affect on your chances. If you're on the sex offenders register and you want to be a classroom assistant is when they really count.

Obviously it all depends on the crime and the job you're going for.. but smaller convictions won't make a difference to 99% of employers I wouldn't have thought.

CRB checks should never really go against you unless you pose some kind of risk. Having a charge for drunk and disordely or criminal damage isn't really going to have and affect on your chances. If you're on the sex offenders register and you want to be a classroom assistant is when they really count.

Obviously it all depends on the crime and the job you're going for.. but smaller convictions won't make a difference to 99% of employers I wouldn't have thought.

It's PC gaawn mad, I tells ya.

Ye my mate who give me one of my references said pretty much the same thing. The job is Admin work for a company who help people who have learning disabilities and are a bit vulnerable. My arrests have been for drunk and disorderly and taking my mum and dads car which was over ten years ago and the worst one. I have grown up since then though so hopefully it will be fine, cheers mate.

It's estimated that one fifth of the working population in the UK has a criminal conviction. As you say, it's not a barrier to employment in many jobs.