You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So the Question Everyone wants to ask

Red Nick

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Carragher had a bad game, it happens. Gerrard was poor, as well. They were good players yesterday, they are good players today. Good players have bad days, that's just football.

I'm not worried about Carragher, the man has fought hard to get where he is, and I'm sure he will continue to fight hard to stay there. He is not old for a CB, he can continue at PL level for a few more years.

Nah. People get misty eyed over Sami's last few season's, where he was immense, but he could hoof and get caught out with the best of them. I don't see why Jamie couldn't assume that 4th choice role and be just as effective, but we don't have the depth like we did when Sami was eased out.

Carra's still class but I've always thought he's a better '2nd' defender than he is a kingpin, the same goes for the other two. They're good tacklers, they're relatively quick, but they can't dominate the air and the box the way Sami could. We looked for that kind of defender for nine eight years until we found Sami, doubt we'll find another one soon.

Nah. People get misty eyed over Sami's last few season's, where he was immense, but he could hoof and get caught out with the best of them. I don't see why Jamie couldn't assume that 4th choice role and be just as effective, but we don't have the depth like we did when Sami was eased out.

Because Carragher can't read the game 1/2 as well as Sami did, he can't jump half as well as Sami did etc etc.

Because Carragher can't read the game 1/2 as well as Sami did, he can't jump half as well as Sami did etc etc.

I hope you're joking? Carragher's main strengths are his perception and reading of the game.

He's never been the quickest but hasn't needed to be as he reads the game so well.

No way - he'll come out fighting and lift his game guaranteed. He'll go to superhuman lengths to make sure he is around for no.19. Him and Skrtel isn't going to work for any length of time though.

That's the problem though, he's in superhuman mode now and it's affecting his judgment. His decision making this season has been way off. Backing off when he should step up, vacating his zone to compete for someone else's ball and leaving space.

Add to that the additional 1 on 1's he's being faced with because the FBs spend more time in the final 3rd, the additional counter attacks he's facing because we haven't got two CMs behind the ball all the time and you can't see how he can add what he needs to thrive in that kind of setup. Benitez has switched tactics at exactly the worst time for him.