You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa and Xabi's relationship

Brownie

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's been a lot of talk about this on here over the last year or so. A lot of people have been really quick to jump on those who suggested that they didn't get on.

The next time somebody says that Rafa is the reason Alonso left, and is shouted down, they need to bear this in mind (from Tony Barrett in todays Echo):

For me its not about whether they 'got on' as clearly the two have had differences of opinion. The real issue here, is not Rafa Vs Xabi or even Xabi vs Barry,the real issue is the lack of money available to add quality to the squad without the need to move others on.

Gareth Barry should have been signed to add to the talents of Xabi and Masch, not replace either.

I realise there is alot to discuss from that point on, but that is the crux of it. Its why we looked for new owners and investment.

Thanks DM.

For me its not about whether they 'got on' as clearly the two have had differences of opinion. The real issue here, is not Rafa Vs Xabi or even Xabi vs Barry,the real issue is the lack of money available to add quality to the squad without the need to move others on.

Gareth Barry should have been signed to add to the talents of Xabi and Masch, not replace either.

I realise there is alot to discuss from that point on, but that is the crux of it. Its why we looked for new owners and investment.

Thanks DM.

But he was Xabi's replacement! I agree about your general point though.

alonso was being sold to raise the cash to buy barry.but as barry has said in interviews "rafa was honest with me and said i was mainly going to play left sided.i prefer to play more central" so i dont think barry was ever going too play in the middle.which poses an even bigger and worrying question............was rafa honestly thinking back then that lucas could really be a regular player for us? i fucking hope not otherwise his talent spotting skills have gone down the pan!

if i was alonso,id fuck off elsewhere too if i was being treated like that.rafa made a major fuck but hopefully he's corrected it buying the AA man.

not to open up old wounds but people do realise it wasnt missing the game to be at his child's birth that was the problem but delaying the decision and affecting preparations in the build up to the game was...

that was one element to his decision undoubtedly but far from the only one as everybody knows

Im past caring now anyway, he's gone

Rafa was under a fair bit of pressure at that point. The league campaign was faltering and there were early exits in the domestic cup competitions. There were suggestions that he had lost the dressing room, so perhaps it was his way of imposing himself? Wildly speculative, I know.

I'm not saying Rafa being under pressure is an excuse, but perhaps it could help explain his behaviour.

Or, alternatively, the only source of information prior to the move was hysterical forumites, whereas now, from things that Xabi and more than one journalist has said, it seems obvious that there were indeed problems. Which don't, in truth, have to matter that much.

I was called a shit load of things because my stuff came from people at the academy - backed up by several other people who I don't know in real life other than probably meeting once or twice. Hardly hysterical.

I see he alluded to the birth of his baby and missing the CL match in the quotes he gave. If Rafa had a problem with that I think he's completely unreasonable, regardless of what he'd do himself in similar circumstances.

I don't not at all, what if Gerrard and Torres girlfriends/wifes were expecting on the day we where due to play a Champions League final/ Title decider? I would want them on the pitch not in some hospital. Its a different situation if you are a footballer than someone who works in an office/ building site e.t.c

I don't not at all, what if Gerrard and Torres girlfriends/wifes were expecting on the day we where due to play a Champions League final/ Title decider? I would want them on the pitch not in some hospital. Its a different situation if you are a footballer than someone who works in an office/ building site e.t.c

Like so much when it comes to our fans the goalposts move according to who the player is.

Here you go, Andy, here's your precious thread.

I'm still trying to see where I, 'got my arse handed to me'?

(hmmm, thinking to myself. Will I? Won't I? ....)

(ahh fuck it, lets pour some oil on the fire.)

Ok, just catching up on this thread, but to answer your question:

I reckon many people will have the same problem as me with a player getting a strop with a manager just trying to do his job and shaping up to refuse to play for us.

But he played?

Yes, he played. Because Rafa did HIS job, put HIS foot down, and said "I'm the fucking BOSS, I pick the team, you'll play when I say so". Rafa picked the best team he had available to him (in his opinion, which is the only one that matters - as he's the bloody manager!).

In other words, Xabi wasn't doing us a favour by playing (aww, how awfully nice of the chap). He was DOING HIS FUCKING JOB, as directed BY HIS BOSS. Any attempt at NOT DOING HIS JOB should have been (and possibly were) met with a swift kick up the backside, a smack around the head, and a simple, quiet re-iteration of "son, you're a Liverpool player and you're playing, cause I bloody well said so!".

That kind of man-management I can live with, if the situation demands. Are you seriously suggesting that its ok with you for a Liverpool player to refuse to play (assuming he's not injured, or doesn't have family bereavement or other issues) , when chosen to do so by the manager, simply because he's not happy with the manager?

(and no, I'm not going to let stories like this diminsh my appreciation for Xabi and his time here. All this personality bollocks dragged up by the immature little children around here notwithstanding)

And Brownie, if you still think you're in the right, just realise who you have in your corner.

Before Alonso left - "they have no problems, BASCOME BASCOMEB ACOMBEA"

Now he has left - "it doesn't matter"

hypocrites.

Hah, if nothing else, having a twit like that on YOUR side of the argument should give anyone pause to think.

Would it be totally out of the question then to expect people to say, 'sorry for calling you a cunt and accusing you of making things up', then? Or is it fine for those people to just continue along the same path making ludicrous suggestions when they hear something they choose not to believe?

Enough of this "nah nah, I told you so, I'm so right, nah nah" bollocks thread, and the buffoons who create them. Go find some other kiddies playground

When you're right, you're right.

Eh? How the fuck would you EVER know that?

PS: we've lost 2 out of our first 4 games this season. Shouldn't you have slit your wrists by now (going by your stellar performance last season)?

Edited by isr

"Rafa and Xabi's relationship"

What a thread. Whats up with this place? Has it become an agony-aunt's paradise? Has Oprah Winfrey become the new owner?

How about a "Rafa and Sammy Lee's relationship" thread. Who's the butch one in that relationship?

Or "Stevie and Nando". Are they still in love?

Or the "Carra and Skrtel relationship". Skrtel's sobbing to his mother now (while back in Slovakia on international duty). "That rotten meanie Carra MEANT to headbutt me ma. I don't like him anymore ....."

What a thread. Whats up with this place? Has it become an agony-aunt's paradise? Has Oprah Winfrey become the new owner?

How about a "Rafa and Sammy Lee's relationship" thread. Who's the butch one in that relationship?

Or the "Carra and Skrtel relationship". Skrtel's sobbing to his mother now (while back in Slovakia on international duty). "That rotten meanie Carra MEANT to headbutt me ma. I don't like him anymore ....."

:thumbup:

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

Yes, he played. Because Rafa did HIS job, put HIS foot down, and said "I'm the fucking BOSS, I pick the team, you'll play when I say so". Rafa picked the best team he had available to him (in his opinion, which is the only one that matters - as he's the bloody manager!).

In other words, Xabi wasn't doing us a favour by playing (aww, how awfully nice of the chap). He was DOING HIS FUCKING JOB, as directed BY HIS BOSS. Any attempt at NOT DOING HIS JOB should have been (and possibly were) met with a swift kick up the backside, a smack around the head, and a simple, quiet re-iteration of "son, you're a Liverpool player and you're playing, cause I bloody well said so!".

That kind of man-management I can live with, if the situation demands. Are you seriously suggesting that its ok with you for a Liverpool player to refuse to play (assuming he's not injured, or doesn't have family bereavement or other issues) , when chosen to do so by the manager, simply because he's not happy with the manager?

(and no, I'm not going to let stories like this diminsh my appreciation for Xabi and his time here. All this personality bollocks dragged up by the immature little children around here notwithstanding)

And Brownie, if you still think you're in the right, just realise who you have in your corner.

Hah, if nothing else, having a twit like that on YOUR side of the argument should give anyone pause to think.

Enough of this "nah nah, I told you so, I'm so right, nah nah" bollocks thread, and the buffoons who create them. Go find some other kiddies playground

PS: we've lost 2 out of our first 4 games this season. Shouldn't you have slit your wrists by now (going by your stellar performance last season)?

Don't bother, you'll only get called Dot Cotton or other labelled with some other playground infantile nonsense because you don't subscribe to anti-rafa rhetoric.

I had a bit of an eye opener today, I did LFC TV again today and was told afterwards that I had been the one who was being overly negative.

If anything, considering I'm seen as the Rafa's "minder" by some one here (I'm sure he's big and ugly not to need one*) it reassured me that maybe I'm not the one who's suffering from acute myopia

*Owen Brown yadda yadda yadda

Like so much when it comes to our fans the goalposts move according to who the player is.

Not at all I've maintained my stance on the matter all along, it doesn't matter now but if we lost the game against Inter 3-0 in the San Siro I am sure some fans would have a different perspective on the incident.

Still not sure what Rafa did that was so terrible. Knowing we had fuck all money he tried to get rid of an underperforming player and replace him with an excellent (and English) player for less money. Barry would have been a great signing for us, it's not Rafa's fault that he turned out to be a liar and a mercenary.

I expect we can look forward to a whole season of "Rafa sold Alonso!" hysterics on here everytine something goes wrong for us. Excellent.

I expect we can look forward to a whole season of "Rafa sold Alonso!" hysterics on here everytine something goes wrong for us. Excellent.

Yup - to peak on whatever grey winter weekend lies ahead where we've had a dodgy result against someone like Hull while Madrid have put five past whoever the Spanish Hull might be.

Still not sure what Rafa did that was so terrible. Knowing we had fuck all money he tried to get rid of an underperforming player and replace him with an excellent (and English) player for less money. Barry would have been a great signing for us, it's not Rafa's fault that he turned out to be a liar and a mercenary.

I agree with your first part and last part of the statement but not the mercenary bit. Obviously I am gutted he has gone after last season and if he had stayed I would be more confident than ever if we stayed injury free we would win the league, but last summer I wasn't questioning Rafa's decision to cash in.

Now that Xabi has said he made his mind up to leave last summer and we have Lucas in his place at the moment it would have been better if we got Barry (the yank cunts) he is a a better player than some have give him credit for and would have made a good addition to our team. I think the difference between having Xabi and Barry in our team would have been splitting hairs, but the difference between Xabi and Lucas is a big gap. I just hope Aquilani can stay fit, he could make a huge difference.

Did he do that against Sunderland when he left Alonso on the bench, in favour of Plessis?

Our survey says...

I'm glad you disagree with me, it reinforces my opinion.

Don't fuck with these boys they have hard evidence you know, Rafa wasn't invited to the wedding and Pako was.