You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alberto Aquilani

ReddOrDedd

He should have continued in his attacking role seeing as Gerrard is really struggling there and Gerrard to come in for Lucas in his position and do exactly what Lucas is meant to do. Also maybe collect the ball from defenders in his own half and play simple passes forward instead of the defenders having no option but to stoke it up to Kuyt.

unfortunately for Rafa stubborness has overcome any form of logic when it comes to team selection these days

We all threw scorn on that snide Football 365 article that labelled him the transfer disaster of the season.

In the light of another inexplicable night on the bench, I'm inclined to agree with that view at this stage, regardless of its agenda.

I feel sorry for the lad, one of our most expensive signings of all time and he isn't even trusted against Wolves. On some small level, maybe it's not a bad thing that we've no money to spend this window.

Only we could spend £20m on a squad player.

I think it says a lot that I wasn't surprised in the slightest that he didn't start last night.

I agree but I was surprised he was not brought on at the normal sixty minute mark.

We had no creativity and Gerrard was having a mare, it was so obvious what at least needed to be tried.

Shame someone didn't realise he was ill-equiped to play central midfield in England before we signed him.

Its appearing a bit like the Keane signing this one.

Unless you move Gerrard, he's not going to play.

It is indeed but you state the obvious thing to do, move Gerrard back. We are crying out for that to be at least given a try. Everyone has been banging the drum for that to happen, or at least tried.

Would it be any worse than what we are seeing at present.

It is indeed but you state the obvious thing to do, move Gerrard back. We are crying out for that to be at least given a try. Everyone has been banging the drum for that to happen, or at least tried.

It would seem the logical option.

So, it won't happen.

That is the best answer. It's ridiculous the mess Benitez has constructed for himself. Surely he knew what he was getting for £20m? With his superb scouting system, surely? (Yes tongue is in cheek)

That is the best answer. It's ridiculous the mess Benitez has constructed for himself. Surely he knew what he was getting for £20m? With his superb scouting system, surely? (Yes tongue is in cheek)

Last season with the Keane situation I half understood it but with this one I am dumbfounded by it and see no logic at all.

That worries me a great deal.

It's this Aquilani issue more than anything thats pushing me into the "Benitez out" camp.

It's obvious this guy can't play as one of the 2 CMs. It must have been obvious to the scouting/Benitez before we signed him because it's wildly obvious to me after 2 games and i'm no expert.

So, was the idea to a) mould him into that sort of player or b) him to play more advanced or c) something else?

Either way it's not adding up at all. Given that he was injured for so long when we signed him, you'd expect that we REALLY fucking wanted him! Now, even though he's showing signs of getting into form and fitness, he's straight on the bench and doesn't come on even though the player in his postion is recovering from injury and having a shit game, AND, we have 2 x DMs on for 90 minutes against a team that will likely get relegated this year.

You could pass the Keane one off as a mistake, an unfortuante cock-up (whatevr the external involvement) but this is just too similar. It's ridiculous... This guy must be wondering what the fuck he's done...

Rafa saying he didn't put him on last night cos the ball was in the air a lot and Aquilani is better with the ball at his feet pretty much sums the whole thing up. We've got a decent player who was always gonna struggle with our kick and rush style. So, cos of our negative tactics we've spent the majority of our transfer money on a player we cant use.

Give it a week until the transfer window closes and he'll go back to saying he cant be expected to have us competing for the league cos we dont have the money.

Rafa saying he didn't put him on last night cos the ball was in the air a lot and Aquilani is better with the ball at his feet pretty much sums the whole thing up. We've got a decent player who was always gonna struggle with our kick and rush style. So, cos of our negative tactics we've spent the majority of our transfer money on a player we cant use.

Give it a week until the transfer window closes and he'll go back to saying he cant be expected to have us competing for the league cos we dont have the money.

The ludicrous thing is we could have beaten them by playing football last night, rather than Carra, Skrtel and Zorba hoofing the ball back to the Wolves keeper time and time again with a frequency that suggested they were playing under instruction.