You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alberto Aquilani

ReddOrDedd

The ludicrous thing is we could have beaten them by playing football last night, rather than Carra, Skrtel and Zorba hoofing the ball back to the Wolves keeper time and time again with a frequency that suggested they were playing under instruction.

Sadly true, I think.

People still seeing Aquilani as some sort of saviour... I doubt he would have made any difference last night. He has shown very little, albeit in a brief number of appearances, and he is not the answer to end our woes.

I for one do not see him as a saviour but he was signed for a big fee and now that he is match fit, you would think in a game last night, that was crying out for a bit of creativity, he would have at least been given half an hour.

Especially when things were going so badly.

Saviour no but I would like to see a bit more of him, to see why we paid the amount we did.

People still seeing Aquilani as some sort of saviour... I doubt he would have made any difference last night. He has shown very little, albeit in a brief number of appearances, and he is not the answer to end our woes.

I don't think we'll see the best of Aquilani for a while, but in my opinion, people have a right to have high expectations and have a right to think that he'd have made a difference last night, considering we paid £20m for him and the fact that Rafa talked him up a hell of a lot even before he kicked a ball.

I don't think we'll see the best of Aquilani for a while, but in my opinion, people have a right to have high expectations and have a right to think that he'd have made a difference last night, considering we paid £20m for him and the fact that Rafa talked him up a hell of a lot even before he kicked a ball.

20 mil to us is make or break in the first game, to others it is a bench warmer and a cheap bench warmer for some

I dont expect anything until next season , Gerrard and Torres around him may help him this season but i dont hold much hope.

To get to an end result you have to put up with the shit, no one turns it on immediately and maintains it.

Surely Arsenal gives us an example, you have to have some transition before you are ready to go for it again

Just stop. Stop right now. You're wrong.

There isn't a chance of being wrong, considering there isn't any proof that he's trusted as a central midfielder... or he would have played against wolves and not Lucas.

That said? There is also no proof that he's trusted as a trequartista/attacking midfielder, either.

So how can I be wrong? How can I be right? It's an opinion, and therefore, it cannot be wrong... You can, however, disagree with it.

Gerrard's age, and our financial woes, could very well see Gerrard sold in the summer to a club like Inter, Real Madrid, etc. Who do you think will play in that role off Torres? Yossi? Getting Kuyt that ball for his first goal vs. Tottenham show that he can do a job there... and he has a bit of unpredictability about his passing/movement.

There isn't a chance of being wrong, considering there isn't any proof that he's trusted as a central midfielder... or he would have played against wolves and not Lucas.

That said? There is also no proof that he's trusted as a trequartista/attacking midfielder, either.

So how can I be wrong? How can I be right? It's an opinion, and therefore, it cannot be wrong... You can, however, disagree with it.

Gerrard's age, and our financial woes, could very well see Gerrard sold in the summer to a club like Inter, Real Madrid, etc. Who do you think will play in that role off Torres? Yossi? Getting Kuyt that ball for his first goal vs. Tottenham show that he can do a job there... and he has a bit of unpredictability about his passing/movement.

go to bed

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
When we bought him, and up till now, the only place AA was going to fit into our squad was in Gerrard's position.

Why would Gerrard be offered and then sign a new contract if that was the case?

Higher price tag. I figure the owners are more behind it than Rafa, to be honest.

Then you would be wrong

100% wrong

Even if it was the case, which is wasn't, given his age, it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference to his price tag

I simply cannot be... Nothing has happened or not happened in that area. I could be wrong in the future, though.

The owners, contractually, cannot action or sanction new contracts (player wise) without the managers approval

You'd be ace at writing novels with that imagination though

I didn't say Rafa would have NOTHING to do with it, did I?

Either he did or he didn't

Dead easy

Why would he sanction such a big contract that he didn't really want, knowing it would affect his transfer budget?

Either he did or he didn't

Dead easy

Why would he sanction such a big contract that he didn't really want, knowing it would affect his transfer budget?

Why would he start Lucas against Wolves over Aquilani? Why would he make one change when we only had one shot on goal the entire match? Rafa makes a lot of baffling decisions.

(He also probably wanted to control the player's movement with a long contract)

Why would he start Lucas against Wolves over Aquilani? Why would he make one change when we only had one shot on goal the entire match? Rafa makes a lot of baffling decisions.

(He also probably wanted to control the player's movement with a long contract)

That's hardly the point though is it?

Your clutching

Badly

That's hardly the point though is it?

Your clutching

Badly

No, I'm not actually. I said I had a feeling and an opinion(Something that I've started more than once before on the forum). You're trying to argue it like a fact or something.

You're just bored and itching for some activity on the forum.

No, I'm not actually. I said I had a feeling and an opinion(Something that I've started more than once before on the forum). You're trying to argue it like a fact or something.

You're just bored and itching for some activity on the forum.

No, actually, I'm not, I'm tired and I'm going to bed in a bit

But whether it is your intention or not, your spinning what is an impossible theory, considering the contract that the manager currently has, but one which if repeated enough will no doubt it will be accepted as fact, Macia as an example (Not that you were responsible for that paticular one).

There is plently to have a pop at the manager for, this isn't one of them

He rates Gerrard as one of the best in the world

The fact he was picked last night, ahead of his supposed (according to you) replacement is testament to that