You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The all new and improved Bulgaria thread:

airbags

Hoping that this one won't be deleted and that any snide remarks related to a certain event in the same country a number of years ago can be kept to a minimum.

Just looking for tips for Sunny Beach in Bulgaria. Heading on Monday with a mate; supposed to be just him and the girlfriend but she blew him out recently so Im taking her place on the plane. Obviously, whatever plans he had made for the trip have gone out the window although maybe he plans on wining and dining me all week, who knows?

I went to Bulgaria 4 years ago and actually had a really good time. It's a bit cheesy and a bit brash in places, but the food and drink is so cheap that you just don't care.

I think hiring a car might be a good idea if you're wanting to go off and do things as I don't recall the public transport being all that good. There's a few little village type places nearby that are good for a day trip and the seafood restaurants in the area are pretty good for a lunch out. The beaches aren't bad as well and they do some watersport stuff, but the sea can be a bit full of jellyfish so be careful when swimming. There's also a waterpark that's defintely ok for a trip.

As for Sunny Beach itself; it's pretty much split into two areas. There's a long strip down where the main hotels are, which is crammed with restaurants etc and then there's a kind of circular road in a separate area (where the older hotels are - where I stayed) that has some more bars. It's walkable between the two with a few bars along the way. Lots of drinks deals were going on in the bit that was nearer to some of the older/cheaper hotels but the other area is good for a walk down and the bars down there weren't bad. Some of the British pubs were down that way as well (not my cup of tea but useful to know for sport I guess).

I think there were about 3-4 clubs there in total, one of which was an indie type bar which was pretty good. They had some bands on there as well. Can't remember the name right this sec but I'll have a think. That's over near the 'strip' area.

On a entirely separate note, if you want a laugh, go down the strip to the crossroads and there are lots of 'ladies of the night' there wearing velour tracksuits. Very very funny.

Hope some of that helps.

Im going too at the start of August for a week. Going to Sofia and then to my girlfriends house to meet her Dad for the first time and onto a hotel in the mountains for 2 nights.

The other half says there a lot of Mafia Guys around in Sunny Beach and it can be a bit brash but on the plus side is full of fitties. Golden Sands is where its at though according to her.

• 2 weeks later...

Well well well, that Sunny Beach is the maddest fucken place I've ever been at. Drank for one week solid, didnt eat for four days at one stage and have lost about a stone. Just back a few hours ago. Was fucken brilliant but it has ended on somewhat of a downer.

I was absolutely loaded and lost my mate for the night (which became a bit of a theme to be honest) and my last memory is being corralled into a corner by a lady of the night with the promise of a BJ. I was in no fit state to resist and eventually coped on that my wallet had been emptied, around 200 euro in total with a couple of levs as well.

Ended up having to walk home alone haraunging a couple of Russians on the way and sniffing poppers with them. They didn't have a word of English between them but poppers is a bit of a universal language I suppose. I ended up having to walk or more likely crawl home 12 km which I found by the grace of God. I decided not to let it ruin my holiday and got the card cancelled the following day. Landed home there and checked my internet banking to make sure the monies hadn't been touched which the person who cancelled my card had been assured they hadn't.

I was a wie bit suspicious though and my confirmations were confirmed, another 250 euro missing. I rang them up straight away and was put through to fraud dept. I told them what happened anjd they took all the details and said that a decision would be made within the next 7/10 days whether I would be reimbursed. This happen to anyone similar? What are my chances of getting it back?

Am absolutly raging at the minute.

Don't ever carry that much cash on you. What were you thinking? If you are thinking that you'll probably get hammered that night.

Just take out drinking money. Leave your cards/cash/passport in the hotel safe/hostel locker/etc. and take a photocopy of your passport with you and another piece of photo ID.

It's all about minimising risk when you're abroad.

You've learned a bloody lesson at €500 tuition.

ps - I had a fucking ace time in Bulgaria when I was there last.

Don't talk to me Woo! I know, I know. Im usually very sensible about things like that and what your after saying was the plan. The problem was that we just went out to Sunny Beach for the day with the intention of heading home to get changed and whatnot. We weren't planning on doing anything too wild so thought I would be safe enough to take the wallet with me. One thing led to another though and them plans went awry and we didn't make it home. Murphy's Law I suppose. At least she had the decency to leave me with the poppers though I suppose.

Also, anyone any ideas how they managed to empty the account without access to my pin. I don't have my pin anywhere written. The only place it is stored in is my head.

Don't talk to me Woo! I know, I know. Im usually very sensible about things like that and what your after saying was the plan. The problem was that we just went out to Sunny Beach for the day with the intention of heading home to get changed and whatnot. We weren't planning on doing anything too wild so thought I would be safe enough to take the wallet with me. One thing led to another though and them plans went awry and we didn't make it home. Murphy's Law I suppose. At least she had the decency to leave me with the poppers though I suppose.

Also, anyone any ideas how they managed to empty the account without access to my pin. I don't have my pin anywhere written. The only place it is stored in is my head.

Not sure... That seems pretty crazy to be honest.

Despite the aforementioned misfortune, Im still pretty melancholic to be honest that im home. I've even been reduced to listening to the Fray for fucks sake in a somewhat reflective sombre mood.

Two Danish dolls in particular; fucken absolute crackers; the type of doll that wouldn't give you the time of day back home but who don't have any pretensions about themselves because their country is full of stunners just like them. They were really down to earth and found it a hell of lot easier to talk to them than I do with dolls back here to be honest. My mate and I got talking to them anyhow, they seemed very impressed by my Irish wit and charm and were chatting away to them; they kept going away and coming back so seemed like it was game on. My mate sat making up lies to his woman; something about having a baby and trying to get custody of the baby after his divorce (honestly, what kind of wierdo uses these kind of lies to impress a woman).

I impressed my woman with my knowledge of Danish history and Cophenagen which in retrospect I don't have a fucken clue about but the drunkeness seems to give me a confidence to let on I have a grasp on almost any subject.

Anyhow, it got late, they said they were going to Glade Viking and asked us to come with them; of course, I insisted on finishing my beer that cost 1 Lev (44p) and said Id meet them in there (I know, I know). My mate ends up absolutely loaded, lose him, head to disco on my own; the disco is jammers and never found them again. Of course, there flight was going the next morning. If only...

Also had a similar tale with two girls from South London; my doll is an absolute stunner, about 3 or 4 grades above my level anyhow but they were sitting on swinging charis with us for around an hour having the crack with us. They seemed suitably impressed and we thought we could be getting somewhere but of course we were getting progressively drunker until one of them goes "boys, you don't even remember our names do you?" Of course, we sat there with blank expressions staring at each other hoping one could jog the memory of the other until we both burst out laughing.

Inevitably it was "we're just going over here boys for a minute, we'll be back..."

Once again; if only...

Just going to listen to some more Fray and cry myself to sleep. At least I've got loads of money in my bank account to comfort me though... no wait... it's going to be a long night. x

Just checked my bank balance there on the net more in hope than expectation and am delighted to report that my bank have just lodged 200 quid in my account lessening the blow somewhat of the robbery. I was fucken relieved because I still honestly have no idea how the bastards could have got access to my account without the pin. They must have spied me going to the ATM or something when I was loaded.

Am very relieved anyhow.