You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Agents offer Michael Owen to clubs with help of 34-page brochure

Michael Owen's management company has been shopping their client to various clubs with the help of a 34-page brochure that talks up the Newcastle striker.

In the document, Wasserman Media Group says: "Were it not for an unhappy spell at Real Madrid and two injury-scarred years at Newcastle, he would be spoken about in the same breath as Torres and Ronaldo and valued in the priceless figures that only match-winning goalscorers ever justify."

Owen is out of contract on 30 June and available as a free agent. The Wasserman brochure, reported in the Sunday Mirror, reveals the player would prefer to stay in the Premier League. It says that, in choosing his next move, Owen "is about to make the biggest decision of his football career", and explains that the 29-year-old is "good looking" and "charismatic".

Sam Rush, the group's chief operating officer, said: "As one of the world's leading sports agencies, Wasserman regularly utilise comprehensive documentation and audiovisual material to illustrate the benefits of our clients."

Agents offer Michael Owen to clubs with help of 34-page brochure | Football | guardian.co.uk

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as i've despised him for his love for money over football...

I actually really feel sorry for the lad now.

This is pathetic and he's above this.

Also, because the OP is lazy...

Michael Owen pleading for a new club

newcastle-0-0-portsmouth-6756403.jpg

Once upon a time Michael Owen was coveted by every club in the world.

His breathtaking pace and lethal goal-scoring instinct established the young striker as a 24-carat superstar.

His clean-cut image and impeccable sporting pedigree ensured only David Beckham could claim to be a bigger star in the England set-up.

How times have changed. This month his management company, Wasserman Media Group, have sent a 34-page document to selected clubs telling them why they should give Owen a chance.

The man who honed his footballing skills at Liverpool is virtually saying: "Gizza job," just like Yosser Hughes did all those years ago in Boys From The Blackstuff.

Like Yosser, the Scouse anti-hero of the Eighties, Owen needs a break.

Unlike Yosser, he isn't broke. Owen, 29, is out of contract on June 30 and available as a free agent.

Sunday Mirror Sport has a copy of the WMG document.

It's an astonishing read full of hype and marketing speak.

It claims: "Were it not for an unhappy spell at Real Madrid and two injury-scarred years at Newcastle, he would be spoken about in the same breath as Torres and Ronaldo and valued in the priceless figures that only match-winning goalscorers ever justify.

"Through circumstances he finds himself, with his contract expiring, about to make the biggest decision of his football career."

Owen's advisers admit their client wants to stay in English football, which makes the logic behind translating their sales pitch into Italian and Spanish in the document hard to comprehend.

But they love their buzz words.

On a page revealing "Michael Owen - Brand Values" they list 21 of his virtues including "Fit and healthy" - which will provoke disbelief on Tyneside.

Then there is "Good looking", "Sincere", "Respected" and "Charismatic".

The fact that four pages are spent defending his injury record suggests they know why some clubs may be reluctant to step into the breach now.

There is even a section titled: "Tabloid stories and the Truth!" That deals with suggestions that Owen is always injured, has lost his desire and made a mistake in joining Newcastle.

Owen has earned a fortune from football.

His £17million capture from Real Madrid in 2005 was hailed in Newcastle as a footballing coup. About 20,000 fans turned out to welcome him joyously to St James' Park.

Unfortunately, he is now acknowledged as the most expensive transfer flop in the club's history.

Owen's four years on Tyneside have cost Newcastle an astounding £37m in wages and transfer payments. Even Freddy Shepherd, the man who signed him, admitted: "At the time it was seen as a major coup for Newcastle to land England's top scorer.

"We took a gamble to give Newcastle fans a player most people thought was a worldclass signing.

"But it quickly went sour for us, although to be fair he had bad luck with injuries.

"In retrospect it turned out to be a disaster for us although we couldn't have known that at the time."

Sam Rush, Chief Operating Officer of WMG, told Sunday Mirror Sport: "As one of the world's leading sports agencies, Wasserman regularly utilise comprehensive documentation and audiovisual material to illustrate the benefits of our clients.

"Although there has been interest from abroad, Michael has told us that he would prefer to stay in the Premier League.

"In the week after the season ended, we prepared a document showing all the information an interested club would require and this was circulated to a select group.

"We also included a medical report and answers to frequentlyasked questions as well as a review of his commercial benefits and international name awareness."

A Premier League chairman, who received the Owen sales pitch, said: "I've never seen anything like it.

"I didn't need 34 pages to know who Michael is, what he's done and why we should sign him.

"I think we all know the pros and cons surrounding Owen.

I've heard he's hanging on hoping that we go back in for him, Everton have asked about him haven't they?

I think between the lad and his advisers they can work out that Liverpool would only be able to offer Owen, a place on the bench, with 20mins here and there, some league cup games and the odd game when Torres is out injured. I can't see this as being so attractive to him.

If however, he's prepared to accept this and fight for games through hard work on the training pitch/sub appearances/cup games then I'd offer him a 1 year deal.

I think between the lad and his advisers they can work out that Liverpool would only be able to offer Owen, a place on the bench, with 20mins here and there, some league cup games and the odd game when Torres is out injured. I can't see this as being so attractive to him.

If however, he's prepared to accept this and fight for games through hard work on the training pitch/sub appearances/cup games then I'd offer him a 1 year deal.

His advisors could also work out Torres's injury record, that we rotate heavily that we also protected Bellamy - a player dogged with injuries everywhere except playing for us - that we are probably the biggest and best club he could still play for -

The following passages were edited out of the CV:

"Large head physically and metaphorically, stubby legs, flapping, dwarfish arms, brittle bones and hamstrings ....."

"Hard, disinterested stare----"

"Eirie ability to talk about himself in the third person PR style during interviews e.g. "We all know Michael Owen will score goals if given the opportunity".

"Strong financial connections with the Murdoch Group of Newspapers..."

"Commitment to betting in all its forms........"

"Has his own calculator......"

Agents offer Michael Owen to clubs with help of 34-page brochure

Michael Owen's management company has been shopping their client to various clubs with the help of a 34-page brochure that talks up the Newcastle striker.

In the document, Wasserman Media Group says: "Were it not for an unhappy spell at Real Madrid and two injury-scarred years at Newcastle, he would be spoken about in the same breath as Torres and Ronaldo and valued in the priceless figures that only match-winning goalscorers ever justify."

Owen is out of contract on 30 June and available as a free agent. The Wasserman brochure, reported in the Sunday Mirror, reveals the player would prefer to stay in the Premier League. It says that, in choosing his next move, Owen "is about to make the biggest decision of his football career", and explains that the 29-year-old is "good looking" and "charismatic".

Sam Rush, the group's chief operating officer, said: "As one of the world's leading sports agencies, Wasserman regularly utilise comprehensive documentation and audiovisual material to illustrate the benefits of our clients."

Agents offer Michael Owen to clubs with help of 34-page brochure | Football | guardian.co.uk

Photo555.jpg

Includes a free Michael 'HeyDay' mask on page 23.

(Model: Thants 2009)

Fucking hell. You are one bitter litle roach.

Bitter? I was being realistic mate.

You can't deny that it's unlikely Owen will receive a big offer from any Premier League club. Nor can you deny its incredibly sad that a man who was a superstar when he walked out on us is now reduced to sending brochures, which declare him as good looking and charismatic, to clubs in the hope they'll offer him something.

And this "Anybody who thinks leaving Liverpool Football Club will further their career just need to take one look at this sad prick to see why that isn't the case."?

As for him wanting a big offer, my guess is he'd be happy with a starting place. The brochure is cringeworthy and it's sad to see what he's resorted to but no way does he deserve the shit he gets from some people.

And this "Anybody who thinks leaving Liverpool Football Club will further their career just need to take one look at this sad prick to see why that isn't the case."?

As for him wanting a big offer, my guess is he'd be happy with a starting place. The brochure is cringeworthy and it's sad to see what he's resorted to but no way does he deserve the shit he gets from some people.

I think he's a sad prick. My opinion which I'm entitled to. I doubt Michael Owen gives a flying fuck what I think of him so there's no point in you catching feelings on his behalf.