You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer '09 Transfer Speculation Thread

Gray - YPC

When Torres is injured we look toothless up front. I vacillate between whether that needs addressing first or the flanks. I know I think Torres injuries have made a massive contribution to possibly costing us the title.

fucking Babel off would be great anyway, no matter who we bought.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember that game but not really Arda Turan doing that much. That Sabri's crossing was fucking boss though, I remember that.

Yeah, they kept doing us wide.

Arda was only a teenager in that match and he had just broken into the first team that season. Edit: He was against Finnan as well, who was still boss at the time.

He was boss for Turkey in the Euros and a lot of big clubs want him. I know the french paedo is interested.

How is he one dimensional? He can hold the ball, he can pass it, he has a good brain, he has skill, and scored some fantastic goals.... his only flaw and this is overstated sometimes is his heading ability... for the price he is a much better player than Darren Bent and he linked brilliantly with Gerrard.

We're using different meanings of 1-dimensional. He can only play central and hold-up the ball. He can't play off the shoulder, he can't play as an inside forward, he can't playmake from a deeper position, he can't work the channels effectively. Compared to our other forwards he was very limited in how he can be deployed tactically which is a big deal given how Benitez approaches winning games. For me Bent is the same just with a different mix of attributes.

When Torres is injured we look toothless up front. I vacillate between whether that needs addressing first or the flanks. I know I think Torres injuries have made a massive contribution to possibly costing us the title.

In 2006 we looked pretty good up front with Crouch and Gerrard.... Torres is number one but Crouch would be a good back up and I was one of his biggest critics but he won me over. Darren Bent is just plain mid table, ala Carlton Cole.

I agree that we need a striker but we have to be clever with it. There's no point in buying a striker who is regarded as top class, because he wouldn't play enough games and it would be silly to break up the Torres/Gerrard axis.

However, we need to ensure that who we do bring in is good enough to cover for Torres when he's injured. It's a really tough balancing act and I think that Bent is leaning towards the, 'not good enough and too expensive', bracket.

Ideally we could sign a striker who is pacey, can score goals and would cost as little as possible. Owen? I know his fitness record is shite but surely that would be less important from a back-up player?

I'd say he's a perfect back-up considering the potential price and quality of finisher that he is, added to the sentimental factor as well.

It won't happen but for me that would be a no brainer, thinking about it (i'd discounted this not long ago but the more I think about it, the more sense it makes).

In 2006 we looked pretty good up front with Crouch and Gerrard.... Torres is number one but Crouch would be a good back up and I was one of his biggest critics but he won me over. Darren Bent is just plain mid table, ala Carlton Cole.

Crouch is gone, and Carlton Cole couldn't score in a brothel.

I think the problem we are going to have is that it will be easier to find someone who can play up top and in the hole than someone who can play up-top and out wide. I'm not saying they don't exist but they're a rarer breed so I wouldn't be surprised if we find ourselves breaking up Torres/SG at least some of the time.

Owen hasn't looked anything close to his old pace when I last watched him.

Yeah, but he isn't slow is he? He could play in front of Gerrard and score goals in the limited games he'd start, without a shadow of a doubt for me.

I can't argue with the people who don't want him back but who would be a better potential signing considering all of the factors involved, such as status in the squad, price, quality, etc?

I still think we could get 15-20 games out of him throughout a season.

I can understand wanting him back if he wasn't seemingly so injury prone, he would be a quality finisher even on crutches. I just think the time has gone.

Guest LFD

I think our right side is fine, Kuyt and Yossi are two different options, but both very effective ones. Kuyt has got numerous goals and assists this season, as has Yossi. If we need more guile, then we pick Yossi, if we need more graft then we pick Kuyt. As a combination they must have got as many goals / assist between them as any other right sided combination in the league.

I think the left is far more pressing and I wouldn't like to see too many changes to our team this season. Riera has been 'hit and miss'. Some impressive games but too many indifferent ones to be first choice. Babel is currently offering nothing. I'd like to see a player come who can beat players for fun, we haven't had this player since Mcmanaman left. Robben or Zhirkov should provide this.

I also think we need back up for Torres, as we do lack threat upfront when he's not there. I don't think we could attract a 'world class' player for this part time role. Nor do I think we need one, as if Torres stays fits they might not be used much at all. However a player who can play the lone striker role would be great - I think Darren Bent would suit this, but I know I'm in the minority.

But the priority for me should be left wing.

I think our right side is fine, Kuyt and Yossi are two different options, but both very effective ones. Kuyt has got numerous goals and assists this season, as has Yossi. If we need more guile, then we pick Yossi, if we need more graft then we pick Kuyt. As a combination they must have got as many goals / assist between them as any other right sided combination in the league.

I think the left is far more pressing and I wouldn't like to see too many changes to our team this season. Riera has been 'hit and miss'. Some impressive games but too many indifferent ones to be first choice. I'd like to see a player come who can beat players for fun, we haven't had this player since Mcmanaman left. Robben or Zhirkov should provide this.

I also think we need back up for Torres, as we do lack threat upfront when he's not there. I don't think we could attract a 'world class' player for this part time role. Nor do I think we need one, as if Torres stays fits they might not be used much at all. However a player who can play the lone striker role would be great - I think Darren Bent would suit this, but I know I'm in the minority.

But the priority for me should be left wing.

I still think we're lacking on the right wing. Dirk is a good option but too slow and unable to beat a full back consistently enough. Benyoun is much better in a central role for me.

In an ideal world, Kuyt would be back up to a top-class right winger and Benayoun back up to Gerrard.

You have to aim high, don't you?!

Yeah, but he isn't slow is he? He could play in front of Gerrard and score goals in the limited games he'd start, without a shadow of a doubt for me.

I can't argue with the people who don't want him back but who would be a better potential signing considering all of the factors involved, such as status in the squad, price, quality, etc?

Someone who doesn't want 100k a week, isn't a bad bellend and isn't injured for half the season. Nemeth or N'Gog are better than Owen now, long live N'Gog.

Babbel is as good as Walcott and lennon in equal measure but due to his size offers more alternatives than they do, so why do some of you think he should be got rid at a daft give away price? he may not make it here and if Raffa needs to sell him hes worth as much as Spurs and Arsenal would demand for those other two headless chickens.

Guest LFD
I still think we're lacking on the right wing. Dirk is a good option but too slow and unable to beat a full back consistently enough. Benyoun is much better in a central role for me.

In an ideal world, Kuyt would be back up to a top-class right winger and Benayoun back up to Gerrard.

You have to aim high, don't you?!

Yes in an ideal world I'd agree, but given our resources we aren't in an ideal situation.

We can't afford to get a back up striker, plus two new wide players and possibly a right back, that's not even including Barry.

As fans we constantly say let's go for quality over quantity. As the right hand side is currently scoring and creating plenty and we have different options for different games, I think it shouldn't be an area to be improved this summer.

Our squad has come very close to winning the league. Only really injuries to Torres, Gerarrd have hindered this challenge. Let's just get one or two pleyers that can enhance an already impressive squad / team and one that is able to cope wioth injuries to these key players, rather than making lots of changes.

Yes in an ideal world I'd agree, but given our resources we aren't in an ideal situation.

We can't afford to get a back up striker, plus two new wide players and possibly a right back, that's not even including Barry.

As fans we constantly say let's go for quality over quantity. As the right hand side is currently scoring and creating plenty and we have different options for different games, I think it shouldn't be an area to be improved this summer.

Our squad has come very close to winning the league. Only really injuries to Torres, Gerarrd have hindered this challenge. Let's just get one or two pleyers that can enhance an already impressive squad / team and one that is able to cope wioth injuries to these key players, rather than making lots of changes.

I'd love to agree but those draws at home really frustrated me because nothing was coming from the right hand side. Kuyt and Benayoun have been excellent lately but not for the whole season and I think it would be a mistake to forget that.

Kuyt has put in numerous piss-poor performances this season. As I said the other day, on the same subject, I can foresee us all bemoaning the fact that we failed to improve the right wing position next season. I'd love to be wrong but Kuyt's Liverpool career has followed the same pattern every year; inconsistency.