You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer '09 Transfer Speculation Thread

Gray - YPC

Babbel is as good as Walcott and lennon in equal measure but due to his size offers more alternatives than they do, so why do some of you think he should be got rid at a daft give away price? he may not make it here and if Raffa needs to sell him hes worth as much as Spurs and Arsenal would demand for those other two headless chickens.

They is English though innit.

Agree with the sentiment though. Given the same run of games those two get, and if you looked at the stats at the end of the season, he'd beat both quite comfortably, imo.

Babel's not done it yet for us. That's obvious. But we keep hearing it, we want someone that can play wide and cover for Torres. For me, on paper, that player could be Babel.

I don't really get where this stinky attitude tag he has comes from either. When i watch him i see him tracking back every bit as much as Riera does.

He was signed on a 5 year contract right?? If that's the case i'd give him another season at least. For me he's in the same boat as Lucas, cleanly talent there, but neither have "come out of their shells", it can still happen for both though.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imagine that. I would actually throw myself out of the window

That would be the cheekiest bid ever.

The way I feel about Babel I'd be tempted to accept it. Arthur could always come in handy on the legal side of things when we get sued by our moneylenders.

Because the problem is in his head and sometimes it doesn't take much for the penny to drop. Anyway he has 3 years does he not, seems a small risk to give him another year.

I agree there's a problem with his head, but I also think there's a problem with his technique. He's got power and pace in abundance, but his touch and control is often woeful. Poor concentration and confidence could go some way to explaining that, granted - but not to the extent Babel exhibits.

Babbel is as good as Walcott and lennon in equal measure but due to his size offers more alternatives than they do, so why do some of you think he should be got rid at a daft give away price? he may not make it here and if Raffa needs to sell him hes worth as much as Spurs and Arsenal would demand for those other two headless chickens.

Yeah I agree with this. I see people talk about that spineless pussy Walcott and saying he would be a nice signing and I think Babel is better than him at this moment in time.

Its like people don't watch football.

Babel can shoot-They can't

Babel is stronger-They aren't

Lennon attacks the fullback more-They don't

Babel scores more goals-They don't score many goals

Pussies-They all have that kwalitee

Guest LFD
I'd love to agree but those draws at home really frustrated me because nothing was coming from the right hand side. Kuyt and Benayoun have been excellent lately but not for the whole season and I think it would be a mistake to forget that.

Kuyt has put in numerous piss-poor performances this season. As I said the other day, on the same subject, I can foresee us all bemoaning the fact that we failed to improve the right wing position next season. I'd love to be wrong but Kuyt's Liverpool career has followed the same pattern every year; inconsistency.

Well I disagree with Kuyt, I was one of his biggest critics last season (where it was clear his fathers death affected his form). But this season for most part he's been superb. He's been scoring all season, from start until now. Sure he had a poor patch, but the whole team did and I don't think it is fair to blame all the draws on him (I'm not saying you are). Numerous other factors had an influence:

- Poor ref decisions (disallowed goal vs Stoke)

- Torres / Gerrard not playing together

- Poor finishing (Keane in particular, even Torres at times)

- Lack of creativity (Kuyt is included in this, but so should Keane, Riera etc)

Kuyt has had a very good season and I think his importance can't be put down. Not only his goals, his assists, his clear work rate - it's his ability to break up play in the final third which leads to goals, not to mention his movement off the ball which creates so much space for others to exploit.

I think we do need a player who can hurt teams more with direct running. But personally I'd like to see this player come on the left (Robben would be my choice). As between Torres, Gerrard, Kuyt and Robben (with Yossi a fine back up option) we should have all the qualities to beat any type of opposition, in any type of competition. Surely that's what Rafa wants to take this Liverpool team? A team that can win under any type of circumstances.

Well I disagree with Kuyt, I was one of his biggest critics last season (where it was clear his fathers death affected his form). But this season for most part he's been superb. He's been scoring all season, from start until now. Sure he had a poor patch, but the whole team did and I don't think it is fair to blame all the draws on him (I'm not saying you are). Numerous other factors had an influence:

- Poor ref decisions (disallowed goal vs Stoke)

- Torres / Gerrard not playing together

- Poor finishing (Keane in particular, even Torres at times)

- Lack of creativity (Kuyt is included in this, but so should Keane, Riera etc)

Kuyt has had a very good season and I think his importance can't be put down. Not only his goals, his assists, his clear work rate - it's his ability to break up play in the final third which leads to goals, not to mention his movement off the ball which creates so much space for others to exploit.

I think we do need a player who can hurt teams more with direct running. But personally I'd like to see this player come on the left (Robben would be my choice). As between Torres, Gerrard, Kuyt and Robben (with Yossi a fine back up option) we should have all the qualities to beat any type of opposition, in any type of competition. Surely that's what Rafa wants to take this Liverpool team? A team that can win under any type of circumstances.

That's a good post but I can't shake the massive reservations I have about Dirk. I'm sure this will be revisited at some point (maybe even later!)

They is English though innit.

Agree with the sentiment though. Given the same run of games those two get, and if you looked at the stats at the end of the season, he'd beat both quite comfortably, imo.

Babel's not done it yet for us. That's obvious. But we keep hearing it, we want someone that can play wide and cover for Torres. For me, on paper, that player could be Babel.

I don't really get where this stinky attitude tag he has comes from either. When i watch him i see him tracking back every bit as much as Riera does.

He was signed on a 5 year contract right?? If that's the case i'd give him another season at least. For me he's in the same boat as Lucas, cleanly talent there, but neither have "come out of their shells", it can still happen for both though.

It's funny I had the same discussion with someone a while back. After a bit of back and forth we agreed he gets confused about when to track back and when to stay high for the counter and that after he screws something up his head goes and he seems to be busy berating himself and loses track of the game. You can see the lights coming back on 5 seconds later and whoosh he's off again.

He's not lazy, he's just struggling with all decisions he has to make and it's easy to misconstrue what's going on IMO.

Guest LFD
we want someone that can play wide and cover for Torres. For me, on paper, that player could be Babel.

I think Babel has always looked poor upfront when used in that position.

It's not his work rate, it's not his lack of threat, it's the fact he can't keep the ball and certainly can't hold it up.

The Spurs game this season summed up Babel for me as a striker. We were dominating the game and Keane was keeping the ball and using it effectively, by popping it off to the midfield. We were totally controlling the game, made numerous chances and it should have been over.

Babel then comes on for Keane and suddenly, we fail to keep the ball, he fails to hold up the ball. As a result we fail to control the game, Spurs start getting more and more into the game and we lose the game.

That's meant to be his best position. He's even worse on the left, where he looks predictable. Eveeryone knows he wants to cut inside and shoot, as a result it never works as it is easy to nullify. That's not to mention the times when he tries to beat players and simply runs into them.

I had high hopes for him, but they have gone and went a long time ago. Think it would be best for Babel and us if he left.

I agree there's a problem with his head, but I also think there's a problem with his technique. He's got power and pace in abundance, but his touch and control is often woeful. Poor concentration and confidence could go some way to explaining that, granted - but not to the extent Babel exhibits.

I agree with that, but I don't see that as a problem though just a limitation, like Kuyt has, like Carra has etc. They are successful with much the same limitations.

Exactly. Although I never knew Rafa was interested in him before.

Yeah I think in 06 or 05 he wanted both Mata and Adan from the Madrid Castilla squad and we got priced out of that double swoop. So he stayed at Madrid and Valencia saw that he had a clause on his contract and exercised it and bang they had him in the bag.

Don't know how Adan is doing but I have kept Mata in tabs and he is a outstanding talent

A minimal upgrade on Kuyt if you ask me.

There is something about him what I like when I have watched him. Although, if Villa didn't already hate us I would of liked us to sign Young or Agbonlahore but there is little chance of them coming. I still think though that Mata would be a good option because we have experience on 1 wing in Kuyt and we need something different on the other wing with Mata.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
We'd sell shitloads in the far east, but don't adidas get all the dough for any shirts sold outside the UK?

In regards to the Adidas thing, I haven't a clue

Although I remember having a conversation with one of the lads at LFC.TV when we were on, and he was saying the far east market thing was a myth, and even through the website they hadn't seen anywhere near the projected income that had been expected.

In theory it is a massive market, but in practice there are two key factors

1)The cost of official gear being prohibitive (The average wage in China is £175)

2)The availability of high quality and low cost fakes

I remember that game but not really Arda Turan doing that much. That Sabri's crossing was fucking boss though, I remember that.

Right sided midfielder if I remember correctly. His crossing was superb that night.