You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Christy Moore- Shine on you crazy diamond.

diamondjoe

The original version of "Shine on" will never be bettered by anyone, anywhere, ever. It's one of those songs that anyone attempting to cover will always fail at, and sadly this is no exception. Not shite by any means, but pointless. You just can't improve on perfection.

Its probably more a tribute to the greatness of the song and artists themselves that people cover these songs. When they are covered for financial gain then thats where I'd have a problem with it. Write your own tunes, ye know what I mean.

Otherwise I see no wrong doing in people "paying tribute" as is the case here.

Its probably more a tribute to the greatness of the song and artists themselves that people cover these songs. When they are covered for financial gain then thats where I'd have a problem with it. Write your own tunes, ye know what I mean.

Otherwise I see no wrong doing in people "paying tribute" as is the case here.

Fair point, as long as it's not mawkish, which to be fair to this, isn't.

Just remembered Christy Moore telling a story about how he came to cover "Does This Train Stop On Merseyside". He was doing a gig in Liverpool (I think) and as he was driving away a lad comes running after them in the car, hands in a CD and says "just a few tunes for the drive lads" and that was one of the tracks on it. Kind of old fashioned in the way folk tunes used to be passed around.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 14 years later...

Only heard today that Christy Moore was the only man to appear in court over the  Stardust tragedy, were 48 young people died. He was in court for contempt over the lyrics "the fire exits where chained", the inquest this week of course proved where locked.

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, No2 said:

Only heard today that Christy Moore was the only man to appear in court over the  Stardust tragedy, were 48 young people died. He was in court for contempt over the lyrics "the fire exits where chained", the inquest this week of course proved where locked.

i met a guy that was caught up in that tragedy. 

He's badly disfigured from his injuries, fingers melted melted, face isnt too bad, but his body and arms are like something from a horror movie. He was so badly burnt, when he was in the hospital, his mother and father didnt realise it was for days. 

and he's arguably the most positive, happy guys you'd ever meet. Crazy to think what he went through. If im not mistaken, he was out of the fire early, but went back in to help. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, No2 said:

Four years later, 27 of the 56 victims of the Valley Parade fire died at exits which had been chained shut.

Bastards never learn.  They never care enough to learn.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Don’t know much about this fella other than his Wiki page but Viva La Quinta Brigada popped up in my Spotify recommendations last summer and still had time to squeeze into my top 15 most played songs of the year. Just a fucking great song. 

A founding member of Planxty, one of the greatest Irish folk music bands.