You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

World title shot for Khan

sir roger

Amir Khan to fight Andreas Kotelnik for WBA Light-Welterweight title on the

27th June 2009.

Don't remember seeing Kotelnik fight & vaguely had him filed as a 'Klitschko-lite' being Ukranian based in Germany , but have mugged up on him on Boxrec.

Record = 32 wins ( 13 KO's ), 2 defeats ( both points ) , 1 draw.

Lost to Souleymane M'baye & Junior Witter both over 3 years ago , but the draw was against M'Baye at the Liverpool Olympia in March 2007 , did anybody go ? or was the fight televised ?

With Amir growing so fast , was wondering how long a frame like his could make the 9 stone for lightweight , and Kotelnik looks a good choice , being 32 & not having a KO win in his last 6 fights. ( edit - his win over Gavin Rees was a 12th round TKO )

Amir Khan to fight Andreas Kotelnik for WBA Light-Welterweight title on the

27th June 2009.

Don't remember seeing Kotelnik fight & vaguely had him filed as a 'Klitschko-lite' being Ukranian based in Germany , but have mugged up on him on Boxrec.

Record = 32 wins ( 13 KO's ), 2 defeats ( both points ) , 1 draw.

Lost to Souleymane M'baye & Junior Witter both over 3 years ago , but the draw was against M'Baye at the Liverpool Olympia in March 2007 , did anybody go ? or was the fight televised ?

With Amir growing so fast , was wondering how long a frame like his could make the 9 stone for lightweight , and Kotelnik looks a good choice , being 32 & not having a KO win in his last 6 fights.

Indeed mate, the bolded bit is the real crux of it. There is only so long Khan can keep making 140lbs, he is way too tall for a LightWelter and I reckon 2 more fights before he moves up. M'Baye isn't a bad fighter and I saw the fight with Kotelnik, the Ukranian lad is a bit pedestrian and could be taylor made for Khan's style and if he is going to be pushed into a world title shot now, then this lad could be a shrewd choice of opponent. Personally, I dont think Khan is at world level yet against a seasoned and experienced champ, but Kotelnik has enough flaws to make it viable. He isn't heavy handed and not that quick either, so Khan could and get ahead on points from the outside without needing to hang his chin out too much. If he mixes it there is always the danger of being tagged, but Khan on points could be the best bet.

Valero! I hadn't even heard of him and now he's calling out Hatton and Pacquiao. 25/25 KO victories is impressive but I reckon he might have a touch of Ricardo Torres aboot him and once he gets chinned it'll be interesting.

Valero! I hadn't even heard of him and now he's calling out Hatton and Pacquiao. 25/25 KO victories is impressive but I reckon he might have a touch of Ricardo Torres aboot him and once he gets chinned it'll be interesting.

I have been following him for a little while, mainly on youtube as it's hard to see him fights. He hasn't been fighting in the states because they wouldn't sanction him due to head injuries he got in a bike accident. He was actually due to fight Manny but he went for that farce against De La Hoya instead.

Valero is the real deal. The reason you may not have heard of him is because he has only just started to box in the US after being banned because he fractured his skull in 2001 after falling off his motorbike.

He may have a battle against the likes of Pacman and Hatton, but he would kill Khan in a second.

It goes to show in boxing that it doesn't matter how good you are, but who your manager is. Bredis, who smashed him in one round is still waiting for a shot at any title.

Totally undeserved. Hope he gets battered.

You've got to be fucking joking!

Prescott hasn't had a title shot yet?

Unfucking believeable. Then again I'm not surprised, which champ would risk their title and the possibility of being relieved of their senses by steping in the ring with that animal!

Go on Bredis follow Khan up in weight.

"You don't get away that easy motherfucker!"

This lad is blatently taking the Hamed route to being a champ.

Knocking over bums and punch drunk/washed up fighters. He believed his own hype before and got smashed to bits, it will happen again.

Trust me

Boxing has too many frauds like this in it and I love it when they get knocked senseless!

Edited by The Acolyte

Khan is physically too big to remain at Lightweight for alot longer. However, as Khan has looked weak in the chin at Lightweight, I worry about him when he gets caught by light Welters or Welters in the future.

Khan is physically too big to remain at Lightweight for alot longer. However, as Khan has looked weak in the chin at Lightweight, I worry about him when he gets caught by light Welters or Welters in the future.

There's nothing to worry about. If he can get knocked silly at lightweight then he'll get knocked unconscious by seasoned light welters/welters, you don't need to be a nuclear physicist to work that one out!

There's nothing to worry about. If he can get knocked silly at lightweight then he'll get knocked unconscious by seasoned light welters/welters, you don't need to be a nuclear physicist to work that one out!

There is also the counter argument that your punch resistance is heightened as you become physically more mature.

Also , most of the beasts seem to be at lightweight at the mo.

• 2 weeks later...