You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest TK-421

I thought it would be a good idea to bring him back in January but that has gone and he's been injured again so now it's no thanks.

RoboRiise tried to make me see sense - Robo, you were right,

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted Owen back but that was just the HAMSTRINGS tugging. There's no place for him at Liverpool except for the bench and he's far too good for that.

He'll leave Newcastle but won't be at a truly top club. Maybe Aston Villa or thereabouts. And he'll score but the bucket load if he stays clear of injury.

As for paying him 100k p/w OR a pay as you play deal. Both are ridiculous suggestions, neither of which will ever happen.

As a back-up for Torres, option for 442 and to throw on when we need a goal Owen would be a great cheap option. We don’t need him to play every game, he’d be gagging to show he’s still got it and he’s already got a playing relationship with Gerrard. I can’t see him being offered anything better than that opportunity really. Can’t see anyone willing to pay him top wages, or a top team willing to take him as anything other than an option. The time at Newcastle and his injuries have really killed his career.

I was going to post the exact same thing. Signing Owen would be a brilliant option for us and I'd love to see it happen.

I'm torn - in many ways, on a free and at reduced wages I'd like to see him back, although I can't pretend he'd enjoy playing at least second fiddle to Torres with any future chance at his England career at stake.

On the other hand, like Hamstrung, I can't help but think he's broken.

It's the media circus that follows too. At £2m I could be persuaded as if he play second fiddle and be a possibility he may be of some use if he stays fit.

Too many ifs though.

£2m? He'd be a free transfer in summer as his contract runs out. I know we'd have to pay his wages but we need to sign a striker anyway, it may as well be one on a free who knows the club, is a proven goal scorer, can lead the line, play as a lone striker, play in a front two and already has a great understanding with Gerrard.

Owen not being first choice could be good for him. Would his body stand up to 60 games a season? I doubt it. But it may well stand up to 30 games a season which is more likely.

Bring the lad home, Like others have said how many of those tight defences would Michael have breached in those numerous home draws this season with his movement??

That 'movement' has largely gone - have you watched him on the rare occasions he's played this season? He's more static then he's ever been.

I could understand and accept why we might consider bringing him back but I'm not keen. I'd rather we went for someone like Sturridge who is unhappy at City, good now, and would improve over time as an understudy to Torres. He would cost more, but there's a reason for that.

What people need to remember, is that any striker who comes is going to play second fiddle to Torres, whether they like it or not. Torres is the best striker in the world, and it is pretty clear that the 4-2-3-1 is Rafa's preferred formation, although I also think in certain home games he would like to revert to a 4-4-2.

Michael Owen still has the ability to score goals. He has lost a lot of his pace, but has anyone really watched him. Talking to a Newcastle fan the other day, he said that people seem to just think because Owen no longer has that blistering pace that he had when he was here, that he is suddenly going to be neck and neck with Sami Hyypia in a 100m sprint. He is still pretty quick, just nowhere near the dynamic player he was in his teens/early 20's.

His goalscoring record is superb. I'm sure with the sort of world class medical care our club has, that he would not be injured half as much as he has been at Newcastle. Of course it is a risk, but I'm sure (well, I would hope rather), that the club would give him a proper medical, before taking a such a risk.

We don't know how much most other players earn at our club, and whilst I would not be in favour of paying him anywhere near £100k a week, I think he should be earning somewhere between £50k-£80k a week if he signed, as that is what I think he would merit in today's standards.

Of course people will let their heart rule their head to a degree, but we are hardly in a financial position of someone like Man City. Owen still scores goals, and has adapted his game very well. Michael Owen signing on a free, giving us a quality option upfront (something we are lacking seriously), meaning money can be spent in more pressing areas should be a no brainer.

Has anyone noticed (and I'm not using this as a pro to bring Owen back) how Newcastle seem to constantly have injury problems? Even players who go there who never really struggle with injuries beforehand seem to be crocked. It's more than a coincidence now as it's been happening for seasons. Must be something to do with the training or the physios/doctors there being below standard surely.

That's a good point actually. Owen wasn't crocked that much for Madrid was he?

I'm sure with the sort of world class medical care our club has, that he would not be injured half as much as he has been at Newcastle.

The same world class medical care that cured him first time round and has nursed players like Deggen & Kewell back to ever presents?

Like it or not, that's the category of player Owen falls into now.

That 'movement' has largely gone - have you watched him on the rare occasions he's played this season? He's more static then he's ever been.

Nah, dont agree mate, he's still got the knack of being there at the right time thats a clever player for you.

Yes hes lost that burst of pace,(I still dont think Ive seen anything quicker than Owen of 17/18 on a football field, well apart from Evil Kinevil jumping those busses at Wembley!!!!!) but he's still got the brains and movement to get goals.

I thought his injuries at Newcastle involved a collision that broke his toe, and then he was rushed back for the England games and his knee went as he was playing in the World Cup. I thought it was a direct result of being rushed back.

Then once the knee has went, it is downhill for a lot of players.

I'm not bitter over Owen, and remember the time when he literally carried the club on his shoulders himself before Gerrard became pre-eminent. The sentimental side of me would love to see him back, and he probably would score more than Fowler did for us the second time round.

However, he brings nothing to the table besides scoring goals. And with no movement and probably unable to perform the pressing necessary for our style of play, I don't think he is a good option.

If we were to get anyone from a possibly relegated Newcastle, I would go for Martins. He has speed, can score, can dribble and is unpredictable enough that he can score the odd wonder goal.