You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
He wasn't forced out at all.

He could of lived by the new rules but he didnt want to, gambled and lost.

The man speaks the truth

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
Good. So it's as I said, then.

I have no idea where this plonker got this from, as the man claims to be a red, but he's dead set on the idea.

Just my impression of matters but.....

You get the feeling that when Rafa first went to see Carra, Owen and Gerrard he's said to Owen and Gerrard either straight out or in a round about way that they weren't as good as what they thought they were.

Gerrard stuck about and has become the best player in the world

Owen saw his arse and decided that he wanted to up sticks and win trophies at Madrid

Arf

I wouldn't mind if we got him for nothing and he took a pay cut but I would prefer it if we signed a target man to cause havoc in the air and win headers for Torres and Gerrard if we were struggling to get past a stubborn defence. I always remember the Porto game when Crouch came on and did this and think it would be useful having a plan B on the bench.

I would take him back in a heartbeat. But in my personal opinion from everything I've read and heard, and yes this is a big allegation, but I kind of think he's lost his passion for the game itself, it seems the stables is where his heart is at the moment.

Silva - £25M

Walcott - £10M + Babel

Owen on a free

Job's a good 'un.

Owen will presumably have few decent options left. I'd offer him £50K per week plus £25K per goal.

He does not have the game to make his own chances anymore, but he has always known where that net is. With the right sort of players fizzing around him the chances would come and the goals would follow.

I would expect 20-30 appearances and 10-15 goals a season.

Two year deal. Take it or leave it. If you don't like it, kiss goodbye to ever winning anything again in your career.

Silva - £25M

Walcott - £10M + Babel

Owen on a free

Job's a good 'un.

Owen will presumably have few decent options left. I'd offer him £50K per week plus £2.5K per goal.

He does not have the game to make his own chances anymore, but he has always known where that net is. With the right sort of players fizzing around him the chances would come and the goals would follow.

Two year deal. Take it or leave it. If you don't like it, kiss goodbye to ever winning anything again in your career.

Fixed

He wasn't forced out at all.

He could of lived by the new rules but he didnt want to, gambled and lost.

He didn't gamble and lose. He had always said that he wanted to test himself in a foreign league with one of their top teams. He'd signed a number of contracts with us when we were shite and now, having said he would sign for Liverpool again, the whole thing was changed and back to square one when we sacked the manager. It was starting from scratch again so the time had come to either shite or get off the pot, so he followed what he had always said he'd do, and went abroad. It didn't work out and so be it, but the bitterness and hatred I don't understand. Once they sacked Houllier then all bets were off on a new contract and it was back to the starting point again. Not many players who were wanted by nearly every top team in the world would re-sign for an above-mid-table club with a brand new manager starting the re-building process all over again. It wasn't a gamble, sadly for us, with a player who had said he would move at some stage, it was the logical step to go to Madrid.

His career is totally fucked now so why people stil glory in this is beyond me. I'll remember Cardiff in May 2001 and Feb 2003, and Rome in 2001, etc, etc, etc.

Im not against him coming back at all. I am actually still a bit bitter with the way he lied to the club and left. I would be bitter with anyone who fucks the club and its supporters about. Obviously if he came back he would get my full support. But we are talking about bringing in a backup to Torres. But a backup isnt really much good if they are out injured for half the season themselves.

I have a mate who insists he was 'forced out' by Rafa. I don't think I've heard a bigger crock of shite in a long time, but he is adamant.

Has ANYONE else heard this crap?

Makes no sense at all. Why would Rafa force out our top striker? I mean he did try to bring him back 12 months later. Owen wanted to leave, he thought he was bigger than the club.

Even on a free, Owen is a massive gamble to take on, i respect and love him for everything he done for us and i also loathe the guy, in the manner he left/then did'nt re-sign for us. But the fact is, he is a crock and has'nt played much football since he left us in 2004 due to his injuries. Whats the point in having a backup striker who is mainly injured for half the season.

I would give Owen a pass. If we want a free or cheap option, but world class finisher, I would rather take a risk on the real Ronaldo.

Hasn't lost all the weight, still an injury worry, but scoring goals for fun since his return, more clinical than Owen and arguably one of the few strikers in the world that Torres could learn a thing or two from.

Silva - £25M

Walcott - £10M + Babel

Owen on a free

Job's a good 'un.

Owen will presumably have few decent options left. I'd offer him £50K per week plus £25K per goal.

Walcott for that fee? Seriously? Why would Wenger go near Babel at this stage?

And that contract offer...are you alright in the head. Offering an injury prone, out of form striker who shat upon us a few years back 50k a week? I'd give him 30k max, ask him to wave a signing on fee and offer him a bonus of 20k a goal.

Owen is better than NGOG, Babel, Kuyt etc and if he came here he would be the best finisher at the club. Even Torres could learn from Owen. On a free and even with his injuries, its a no brainer really but I can understand Rafa not wanting him given he turned us down in the past.

I disagree that Owen is a better finisher than Torres, he couldn't score half the goals Torres does where as Torres can score every type of goal, from the spectacular to the poachers efforts. He is a league above everyone one of the others in terms of finishing though.

Benitez went up to both of them and pretty much insulted them, probably to see what their character was about. He was in the same position as Gerrard, and made a different choice.

Owen was caught out by offering himself around Europe. His agent was going around offering Owen to other clubs and his agent made the mistake by offering himself to Valencia while Rafa was still there. He was caught out.

However I would take him back in no time. He's still got it.

He didn't gamble and lose. He had always said that he wanted to test himself in a foreign league with one of their top teams. He'd signed a number of contracts with us when we were shite and now, having said he would sign for Liverpool again, the whole thing was changed and back to square one when we sacked the manager. It was starting from scratch again so the time had come to either shite or get off the pot, so he followed what he had always said he'd do, and went abroad. It didn't work out and so be it, but the bitterness and hatred I don't understand. Once they sacked Houllier then all bets were off on a new contract and it was back to the starting point again. Not many players who were wanted by nearly every top team in the world would re-sign for an above-mid-table club with a brand new manager starting the re-building process all over again. It wasn't a gamble, sadly for us, with a player who had said he would move at some stage, it was the logical step to go to Madrid.

His career is totally fucked now so why people stil glory in this is beyond me. I'll remember Cardiff in May 2001 and Feb 2003, and Rome in 2001, etc, etc, etc.

If all this is true then why not come out straight away and say, he left it from end of may/beginning of june (when ged went) untill mid august i think to leave and basically left us with no bargaining power at all after promising he was going to sign.

I dont hate him and never will but ive got no sympathy for him especially after the second attempt by rafa to get him, thats what pissed me off most about it all.

Owen is better than NGOG, Babel, Kuyt etc and if he came here he would be the best finisher at the club. Even Torres could learn from Owen. On a free and even with his injuries, its a no brainer really but I can understand Rafa not wanting him given he turned us down in the past.

He might have been in the past, but he isn't now. Torres is the most complete striker in the world and he's miles better than Owen.

If Owen was to accept a serious pay cut, I wouldn't be surprised if Rafa, ever the pragmatist, went in for him on a free. Clearly, the manager is not shy in taking a chance on injury prone players for a smaller initial outlay.

And now he has sufficient control over transfers he can feel confident in knowing Owen would be his choice, and not forced on him by The Twats.

As for Owen himself, I'm convinced he'd come here knowing and accepting that Torres is number one (well, 9).

He left Madrid to play football at a club where he knew he'd be first choice - and look how that turned out.

Surely by now Michael has realised there's no guarantees in football, and if we came calling, I think he'd jump at the chance whatever the [reasonable] conditions.