You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

finishing 2nd still progress...

deanwalters

Guest Ibetitsme7

personally I couldn't give a fuck about progress, the league is a pipe dream and United are going to go past 18, 20 and head off into the sunset, simply cos they generate a massive 100 million quid more than us every season.

2nd, 3rd, 4th, it's almost the same (except the CL rule changes may make 4th less attractive in future with harder qualifying games)

I'm more interested in this club's survival as a Champions League qualifying club

the season we drop out of that top 4 after 38 games, while the yanks are in charge, this club is in big fucking trouble

It depends how you define progress.

Man Utd finished 11 points ahead of us last year, it could be more than that this year.

And Chelsea and Arsenal have both gone backwards since last season. Our league position might be an improvement on last season but it doesn't tell anywhere near the whole story. And that's assuming we even finish 2nd.

1. Arsenal and Chelsea have been shit this season.

2. We wasted £40m in the transfer market.

3. We play dull imaginitive football shown numerous times at home this season.

4. Last season we finished 11 points off United while this season I doubt we'll get much closer.

5. Doubt we'll finish above Chelsea now they have Hiddink.

Fuck all progress really. We also went backwards in 06/07 after the 05/06 season so it's not the first time we've failed to push on under Rafa.

edit: same thing said above.

Edited by Dani Pacheco

personally I couldn't give a fuck about progress, the league is a pipe dream and United are going to go past 18, 20 and head off into the sunset, simply cos they generate a massive 100 million quid more than us every season.

I cant let that go, that is so wide of the mark.

The extra money helps, but the ethos is different, they are how we used to be. They are built to win, everything is geared to that. When they play, they play without fear, they dont go for the draw, they go for the win. Theres nothing particularly fancy, they play to their strengths, and players play in their best positions. If somebody gets bought for a position and it doesnt work, he gets moved on, he does not get shoehorned into a different position. Its not rocket science, it really isnt.

I dont like United, but to put their success down to money is just bollocks.

This team isn't even as good as the 05/06 one which amassed 82 points and won the FA Cup in Rafa's second season. That was a much better team to watch with Xabi and Gerrard in imperious form throughout. Crouch and Sissoko adding to our shape and making us hard to beat and Garcia whilst frustrating coming up with moments of brilliance in crucial games.

I think we will get late 70 points maybe dead on 80 at a push. We could have really kicked on this season if the manager had been a bit braver and if we hadn't had a catastophic summer in the transfer market.

Guest Ibetitsme7

I dont like United, but to put their success down to money is just bollocks.

no it isn't

their attacking attitude helps but mostly it's down to money

they can afford to go out and buy £30m players and we can't. They can afford £18m benchwarmers, we can't. They can bring in players of similar quality up front if they lose their best striker. We look toothless.

the financial advantage over us is stunning and we will never be able to compete with them until we get this new ground sorted and 20,000 more in every home game, OR we get some sugar daddy owner

until then, realistically, we should be more concerned with survival as a top 4 club, which will get harder when City inevitably get their shit together at some point.

barring a change of ownership, I have a vision of where this club will be in 10 years time and it isn't pretty

It would be...if there was more than United looking like they want to win the fucking thing.

As it is...its the bare fucking minimum requirement. There's been zero progress on the footballing front since Rafa arrived. Yeah we've signed a few better players since he's been here, but system wise and footballing wise there's fuck all difference.

I don't give a fiddlers about the 18 record. So fucking what if united match it?? They've deserved it and it takes nothing from us winning 18. I just want to win one, fell what its like FFS.

Even though the pill is difficult to swallow, finishing in 2nd place is objectively an improvement, especially when it guaruntees CL group entry. But when you consider that Man U would equall our league wins, then the pill gets even more bitter :wallbutt:. If you ask me again at the end of the seaon and we can parade 6 fingers to the rest of the world :tease:, then 2nd is an improvement.

Careful what you wish for.

We are 10 points better of than the same time last season. Thats progress. We are feared in Europe thats progress.

Who wants to get a no mark manager and return to scrapping to get into Europe and consider winning the FA Cup, league Cup and UEFA cup successful?

I appreciate what you're saying, but for me, whilst making progress is a good thing, the wider more important question of a simple 'Can Benitez win us the league?', sadly I've never felt more certain of saying no. So what's progress if you're only going at a snail's pace? In fact we've yo-yo'd between progressing and digressing in terms of final points and league positions.

This team isn't even as good as the 05/06 one which amassed 82 points and won the FA Cup in Rafa's second season. That was a much better team to watch with Xabi and Gerrard in imperious form throughout. Crouch and Sissoko adding to our shape and making us hard to beat and Garcia whilst frustrating coming up with moments of brilliance in crucial games.

I think we will get late 70 points maybe dead on 80 at a push. We could have really kicked on this season if the manager had been a bit braver and if we hadn't had a catastophic summer in the transfer market.

The ins and outs this season have weakened our squad.

I just knew before the game yesterday that we would struggle considering both Alonso and Gerrard were out, our sqaud is not good enough to handle it and that is pretty fucked considering the amount we have spent on players and how many players we have brought in the last couple of seasons.

I will not complain much about the team yesterday apart from the fact I think Babel should have got his chance alongside Torres and Agger should have started at CB because of his ability on the ball something we really needed with both Gerrard and Alonso out, but what really angers me is that we dont have a godd enough sqaud to cope with the loss of two players.

In reality I think we have gone backwards this season, our transfers both in the summer and in January have ruined whatever chance we had to really be up there fighting to the end this season.

I was never Crouch or Pennants biggest fan, but what I do know is that getting rid of them together with Voronin and Riise without really replacing them certainly has not improved us.

Guest Ibetitsme7

we haven't gone backwards at all, since last season or since any season

we're about the same as we were last season, and considering our only top class forward has been absent for long periods that not bad going

quality wise we're about the same as were so that's very disappointing as you expect to make a bit of improvement there

mentally, I think this squad is well up on previous seasons domestically. We're the best comeback side in the country, retrieving 18 points from losing situations. We're also top or near top in the "Big Four mini league" which is another huge improvement on prior seasons and shows the players believe they can compete with the best now

there are lots of positives for those who don't want to just moan about everything they can possibly moan about

we are being held back by a lack of quality in many of the front players though

I still reckon we'll clear 80 points or thereabouts, unless we do really well in the Champions League

mentally, I think this squad is well up on previous seasons domestically. We're the best comeback side in the country, retrieving 18 points from losing situations.

What does this actually prove though?

That we go behind more often than the other top teams?